Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2013 5:50pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Be skeptical but learn to listen, LOL. Please don't ever just stop discussing because of some difference in experience. I'm here to learn as much as anyone else. I've pissed off plenty of senior judoka by asking questions. Not that I'll get pissed.

The principles are simple ? Well, sort of, on the face of things. Execution against a resisting opponent is what is hard.
    This is so true. I could probably go through the gokyo and just performs all the throws (give or take some outliers) after being shown them once. I can really only pull off two or three of the throws consistently in randori (as a pretty experienced whitebelt).

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    10/18/2013 7:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krijgsman View Post
    This is so true. I could probably go through the gokyo and just performs all the throws (give or take some outliers) after being shown them once. I can really only pull off two or three of the throws consistently in randori (as a pretty experienced whitebelt).
    Is this some sort of test ?

I seriously doubt you can perform (correctly) all the throws of the Gokyo after being shown once.

However, self confidence is good !
    Falling for Judo since 1980

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

Posted On:
    10/19/2013 6:38am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, JJJ, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I seriously doubt you can perform (correctly) all the throws of the Gokyo after being shown once.

He's ready for his shodan test.
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    10/20/2013 12:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkPhoenix View Post
    As a fairly experienced white belt no less.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/20/2013 1:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

No, its no test. Though it would be funny to watch if it was a test, I am sure.

I, too, doubt that the throws would be perfect or even correct (hell, I doubt that I do the throws that I can actually reliably apply in randori correctly), and I was admittedly exaggerating somewhat. Though I have at least been shown/messily performed a large percentage of the gokyo already.

My point was more that the ability to perform a throw/lots of throws (and the "collection of techniques" that is a popular idea in some martial arts - like the TKD I used to do) is not as important as being able to apply a throw/or two or three against resisting opponents. So that noob judoka idea of learning as many throws as possible (which I had when I started and still have... obviously with my "I know the gokyo" silliness) isn't going to get you as far as really getting good with a few throws and developing the feel that comes with practice which makes pulling those throws off.

Sorry for the lack of clarity. I have been off of Judo for the summer and getting twitchy. And probably haven't had my ego/skill checked as recently/often as it should be.

Posted On:
    10/20/2013 3:29pm

Style: Kendo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkPhoenix View Post
    If he can consistently pull off 3 different throws in randori maybe he is. Of course his ideas of "consistent", "pull off" and "randori" may differ from mine.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/20/2013 6:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    If he can consistently pull off 3 different throws in randori maybe he is. Of course his ideas of "consistent", "pull off" and "randori" may differ from mine.
    I can more often than not (say like 65-75% of the time... which is probably being generous to myself) hit hiza guruma, seoi nage, and a weird left side uchi mata on people of approximately my experience level (like 2-2.5 years). Which means not against all comers. I still have lots of trouble with shodan+ players, but I can put up a good show against brown belts. But that might just be because I am big. Randori being like 75% of competition and trying to help each other work on stuff, not just bury each other.

I am really not trying to toot my own horn or say I deserve my shodan, though I am hoping that I can sneak up to green soon. I was only trying to illustrate that, just because (as a beginner) you can learn the basic mechanics of throws pretty quickly, doing them against a fully resisting opponent (which, at least for me, is the end goal) are worlds apart. It didn't come across so clear I guess.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/20/2013 10:31pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just thought I'd say this:

We had a week where some of our larger guys couldn't make it (truck broke down) and I felt like I learned a TON of stuff from my coach. I think I'm getting better and was being impatient about me doing so terribly in Catch.

I think I'm going to stick with it, but if I get a chance to train with the Kodokan Judoka I talked about, then I will cross-train, and try to see if I can get some principles and new Ideas out of that.

Working for a week with people my size has helped tremendously, and I shouldn't have been so quick to give up.

Thanks for the help and info guys!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/21/2013 10:55am

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE=Mr.HoneyBadger;2802213]Working for a week with people my size has helped tremendously, and I shouldn't have been so quick to give up.[QUOTE]

This is very true, personaly i like to work technique mainly with people my size but i love to roll with the big guys. Once you do a couple rolls with guys 30 pounds heavier then you people your size feel light as a feather. Plus you have to focus on technique and positioning more cause your not gonna out muscle them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/21/2013 8:24pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE=judojeff;2802236][QUOTE=Mr.HoneyBadger;2802213]Working for a week with people my size has helped tremendously, and I shouldn't have been so quick to give up.

This is very true, personaly i like to work technique mainly with people my size but i love to roll with the big guys. Once you do a couple rolls with guys 30 pounds heavier then you people your size feel light as a feather. Plus you have to focus on technique and positioning more cause your not gonna out muscle them.
    Yah I was surprised how much it helped. I'm glad it did though.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast