Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/11/2013 1:07pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    If it's situational, why are you asking for a percentage?
    I gave an easy, reliable and accepted way to determine if you've actually replenished your water losses during a workout, nothing more.
    You didn't actually, you just said measure yourself before and after the workout.
    But if you knew how much water you'd lost during the race, don't you think that would hold some value for your recovery strategy?
    If you meant, use that measurement to ensure you drink enough water to bring yourself back to weight, fine. But I thought we were talking about how to determine if you are hydrating correctly during your workout, not recovery.

Posted On:
    10/11/2013 1:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    You didn't actually, you just said measure yourself before and after the workout.
    Here's the quote:
    Measuring whether you're drinking enough water is easy, you weigh yourself naked before and after heavy workouts.
    If you meant, use that measurement to ensure you drink enough water to bring yourself back to weight, fine. But I thought we were talking about how to determine if you are hydrating correctly during your workout, not recovery.
    You're conflating "proper hydration" and "enough water to replenish losses".
    Please respond to what i actually wrote.

You also seem to be asking "What can one get away with?" and that's a strategy i never advocate.

I look for "What is really happening?", "What is scientifically relevant?" and "What is optimal?"

Your recovery isn't part of your workout, but it is part of your hydration strategy.

I'm being very specific.

So as you correctly point out, your in race hydration strategy for the aforementioned half would likely be insufficient for a longer race.

So why do we care?

Well that's simple, because you do not train for say an Ironmean, by doing an Ironman every day.
    So you need to be able to extrapolate if your strategy might be insuffcient, from your performances during build up.

If a 100lb athlete comes back a gallon short after 50 miles, it's pretty easy to see that said athlete will be in really poor shape after 112, using the same in race strategy.
    Last edited by ChenPengFi; 10/11/2013 1:23pm at .

Posted On:
    10/11/2013 1:58pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That clarification makes it clearer.

Posted On:
    10/12/2013 9:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The use of 'optimal' respects the athletes' preferences and tolerances:

This might be tolerance to weight cutting in MAs, or how well one is able/prefers to consume fluids/calories on the bike vs run portions of a triathlon.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123