Posted On:
    10/11/2013 10:01am

Style: Headbutts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    The easiest way to tell if your properly hydrated is to look at your pee
    This.

Seriously, any medical professional who still advocates the "eight glasses a day" thing is way behind the freakin' curve. So it's hardly "accepted" wisdom in the medical community, as far as I'm aware. But popular awareness is another beast entirely, I suppose.

-Sazzy

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/11/2013 10:38am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
    Ok?

I wouldn't drink baking soda because of it's sodium content then. Or lack of calcium.
    All this says is you do not understand his comment. Basically, he is saying it isn't just the salt content that makes many of them bad, it is the high sugar/corn-syrup base that makes them terrible.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 10/11/2013 10:56am at .

Posted On:
    10/11/2013 10:48am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok?

I wouldn't drink baking soda because of it's sodium content then. Or lack of calcium.
    Aww yes I wouldn't drink sports drinks due to their sodium content and lack of calcium as well
    Last edited by goodlun; 10/11/2013 10:54am at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/11/2013 10:54am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh and did you read your link cuddles? They point you to one of the most recognizable sports drink companies as a source.

Posted On:
    10/11/2013 11:06am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6340410

Some cool ways to replenish your electrolytes I would avoid the one with maple syrup due to the sugar content w/ lack of fiber to offset it. The fronze banana + Kale is fucking awesome.
    I am a big propent of frozen bannas + almond milk(make sure to get the no sugar stuff) that stuff is filling low in calories and tasty. I like to add a small amount of peanut butter to get some fat into me to give it some staying power.
    http://foodbabe.com/2012/07/10/the-s...tes-naturally/

Posted On:
    10/11/2013 11:12am

Style: Kendo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm also not sure what the whole OD on water is about; it's common sense that anything taken to the extreme is bad for you.
    Google hyponatremia - basically the water leaches out too many minerals. I haven't heard of anyone dying in a race of dehydration, but they do occasionally from hyponatremia.

There was some bunk going around a few years ago about drinking a bunch of water to improve performance but really you need to drink the right amount of water. Top-level endurance athletes don't hydrate near as much as most casuals do on race day.

Posted On:
    10/11/2013 12:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    And what are you supposed to discover, that you don't lose weight if you've hydrated properly? Not sure about weight training but for endurance stuff you've probably over hydrated in that case. Modern thinking is that it is OK to lose some water weight over a short time. If you're running ultras different story but you shouldn't need to hydrate for a 10k training run unless its really hot, and you're just slowing yourself down racing. Longer than that you probably need water but most overdo it.
    You're splitting hairs.
    Of course you can have acceptable losses.
    Nowhere do i suggest otherwise.

I've suggested people try that and in several cases they came back 8lbs+ lighter after a single bike ride (That's about a gallon!) because they assumed their hydration strategies were sufficient, but clearly they were not.

It's not an unusual strategy at all either.
    It's advocated by coaches from the OTC, Ironman (i have a few athletes competing at the Ironman Worlds in Kona on Saturday, actually) and many other races/orgs.
    Dan Bernardot goes over hydration pretty thoroughly here:

http://books.google.com/books/about/...d=w0Zel_bJn-EC

Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    The easiest way to tell if your properly hydrated is to look at your pee

You can pee clear and still be fatally hyponatremic, so no.
    Last edited by ChenPengFi; 10/11/2013 12:17pm at .

Posted On:
    10/11/2013 12:24pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Google hyponatremia - basically the water leaches out too many minerals. I haven't heard of anyone dying in a race of dehydration, but they do occasionally from hyponatremia.

There was some bunk going around a few years ago about drinking a bunch of water to improve performance but really you need to drink the right amount of water. Top-level endurance athletes don't hydrate near as much as most casuals do on race day.
    Yes, there are different types of hyponatremia as well.
    The role of adh is important too.

The book that really challenged the accepted wisdom was:
    http://www.amazon.com/Waterlogged-Se.../dp/145042497X

Posted On:
    10/11/2013 12:43pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    You're splitting hairs.
    No, actually I was asking a question. What's the percent bodyweight loss that is acceptable? Of course it is situational.
    I've suggested people try that and in several cases they came back 8lbs+ lighter after a single bike ride (That's about a gallon!) because they assumed their hydration strategies were sufficient, but clearly they were not.
    I'll be 6 lbs light after a kendo practice on a hot day, I'll also be about that light after a long training run on a hot day and that's with drinking maybe 60 oz of water along the way. That's about 3% bodyweight for me and that's fine. I would not be shocked if I dropped 8 lbs racing a half-marathon on a hot day, although I've never been able to check that as there's no scale at the finish line.

Carrying that kind of loss further would lead to issues, which is why ultras have weigh-ins at checkpoints.

Posted On:
    10/11/2013 12:56pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, actually I was asking a question. What's the percent bodyweight loss that is acceptable? Of course it is situational.
    If it's situational, why are you asking for a percentage?
    I gave an easy, reliable and accepted way to determine if you've actually replenished your water losses during a workout, nothing more.

I'll be 6 lbs light after a kendo practice on a hot day, I'll also be about that light after a long training run on a hot day and that's with drinking maybe 60 oz of water along the way. That's about 3% bodyweight for me and that's fine. I would not be shocked if I dropped 8 lbs racing a half-marathon on a hot day, although I've never been able to check that as there's no scale at the finish line.

Carrying that kind of loss further would lead to issues, which is why ultras have weigh-ins at checkpoints.

But if you knew how much water you'd lost during the race, don't you think that would hold some value for your recovery strategy?

I have people doing Xterra right after Kona, then Cozumel after that.
    It's not over after one race for many, many people.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast