Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/10/2013 7:07am

Style: Karate

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Challenge to "accepted" wisdom on hydration

I came across this article today on the BBC news website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24464774

I think it is an interesting article that it challenges (for me anyway) the assumption that you need to keep hydrated especially if you are doing a lot of exercise. I must admit I tend to keep a bottle of water with me most of the time largely as I tend to spend a couple of hours a day doing cardio plus weights in the gym. It's also worth pointing out that it tends to get filled with tap water.

It is also bad news for the "sports" drinks industry that seems (at least in the UK) to try and convince us that their "isotronic" drinks are better than water.

Interested if anyone has any strong views either way or knowledge of conflicting research.

Posted On:
    10/10/2013 8:36am

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never HAD to drink a lot of water and I do some moderate to heavy workouts...the drive to force water into people in my Army basic training about had me puking up H2O. Some studies (I cant recall them exactly) I recall used to say that water consumption was pretty person specific in regards to need.
    Last edited by tgace; 10/10/2013 8:41am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/10/2013 10:27am

Style: Karate

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tgace View Post
    I've never HAD to drink a lot of water and I do some moderate to heavy workouts...the drive to force water into people in my Army basic training about had me puking up H2O. Some studies (I cant recall them exactly) I recall used to say that water consumption was pretty person specific in regards to need.
    I have on occasion filled myself up with water on a workout only to regret it and feel bloated and sick - haven't quite got round to puking water yet.

You can in rare occasions kill yourself by OD'ing on water:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water_intoxication
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...sore-gums.html

Posted On:
    10/10/2013 4:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I drink when I'm thirsty.

I preffer water to sports drinks. This mostly has to do with sugar and chemical additives. They pack enough sugar into those things that I'll get a headache if I drink them. The other stuff I just prefer not to put in my body all the time.

I get thirsty more often when I work out a lot. I can consume LOTS of water when exercising but if I dont pace myself I will feel bloated.

If I'm not exercising and I try to force myself to drink lots of water I will feel bloated regardless of pace.

That's all I have to say about that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/10/2013 8:10pm

Style: HS Cuddling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sports drinks are just flavored salt water. It's convenient and tastes alright.

Telling people not to buy sports drinks because salted water can do it is like telling people not to take Tums because downing a spoon of baking soda does the exact same thing. I mean, I suppose you COULD do it if you really want to save money, but it's far more convenient (and better tasting) to just use commercial goods.

Eh.

I'm also not sure what the whole OD on water is about; it's common sense that anything taken to the extreme is bad for you.

Also, for every one of these studies, there are others saying the exact opposite.
    http://www.extension.iastate.edu/humansciences/fluids

I guess the world may never know.

Posted On:
    10/10/2013 8:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
    Sports drinks are just flavored salt water. It's convenient and tastes alright.

Telling people not to buy sports drinks because salted water can do it is like telling people not to take Tums because downing a spoon of baking soda does the exact same thing. I mean, I suppose you COULD do it if you really want to save money, but it's far more convenient (and better tasting) to just use commercial goods.

Eh.

I'm also not sure what the whole OD on water is about; it's common sense that anything taken to the extreme is bad for you.

Also, for every one of these studies, there are others saying the exact opposite.
    http://www.extension.iastate.edu/humansciences/fluids

I guess the world may never know.
    I wouldn't drink a sports drink due to the sugar content

Posted On:
    10/10/2013 9:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hyponatremia is definitely a real concern/potentially fatal and hydration strategies are very important.
    Hello MAs are weight class sports...

Measuring whether you're drinking enough water is easy, you weigh yourself naked before and after heavy workouts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/10/2013 11:07pm

Style: HS Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    I wouldn't drink a sports drink due to the sugar content
    Ok?

I wouldn't drink baking soda because of it's sodium content then. Or lack of calcium.

Posted On:
    10/11/2013 12:48am

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Hyponatremia is definitely a real concern/potentially fatal and hydration strategies are very important.
    Hello MAs are weight class sports...

Measuring whether you're drinking enough water is easy, you weigh yourself naked before and after heavy workouts.
    And what are you supposed to discover, that you don't lose weight if you've hydrated properly? Not sure about weight training but for endurance stuff you've probably over hydrated in that case. Modern thinking is that it is OK to lose some water weight over a short time. If you're running ultras different story but you shouldn't need to hydrate for a 10k training run unless its really hot, and you're just slowing yourself down racing. Longer than that you probably need water but most overdo it.

Posted On:
    10/11/2013 1:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The easiest way to tell if your properly hydrated is to look at your pee
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast