Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/30/2013 10:26pm

Style: Mostly mixed-up FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    As far as I can see, the Bujinkan is as much about worshipping the God Emperor Hatsumi as it is about doing any physical martial arts. Once he ascends to take his eternal place on the Golden Throne, it's going to be interesting to see the schisms and denouncement of heretics.

It's going to be orders of magnitude bigger than even when Ip Man croaked it - and thanks to the internet, every little squabble will be public and documented for the ages.
    ^^^^
    This!! :)

I'm gonna have a cold case of beer ready and start up some popcorn. Should be a good show!

Posted On:
    10/31/2013 8:42am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by madsox View Post
    I'm gonna have a cold case of beer ready and start up some popcorn. Should be a good show!
    Yep. We've already seen similar events with the deaths of Ed Parker, Yip Man, and Robert Trias. This should be far more entertaining.

My predictions:
    - a few passive-aggressive mentions of deadly assassination skills, and veiled comments that smack of protection rackets
    - pompous bloviating about true shinobi warriors being above all that coupled with out-loud wondering why others don't recognize the supremacy of Sokitumi Sensei
    - and the one I'm really hoping for ... the first ninjer to claim a 16th dan.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2013 12:47am

Style: judo, boxing -noob

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My experience with Ninpo so far..... I can't make anything out of the mess that internet offers about it, but luckily have some personal experience.

We have a Shihan here, who trains with Hatsumi, travels to Japan for a few months every year,... I met him in person once and he really made an impression on me - at that time a young aikidoka (I trained aikikai style for two years and even before Bullshido gave it up because I missed randori).

Than I saw a demonstration preformed by his club a few years after - I traded aikido for judo and some weird jujitsu long before. First he briefly explained the history of the art. The explanation was very different from what we picture under being a mighty Ninja. What he basically said was, that shinobi were samurai on special mission. No Iga was mentioned (if memory serves, but definitely no Iga as a region where peasants turn into flying, disappearing, deadly black clad demons at nightfall ). Nothing what an average bloke pictures under Ninjutsu was mentioned (by that time I was already lurking on Bullshido and trying to clear a few myths about ma).
    Than he and his crew preformed and explained ukemi, brakefalls, some joint locks (what impressed me was how athletic and acrobatic they were - dude got his arm in a standing lock, and preformed a backwards somersault over it to escape) and weapon techniques.
    Now the thing that really IMPRESSED me, was when they realised, that they're standing on matted surface and moved onto naked SOLID CONCRETE. Shihan than selected one of his higher ranking students and SLAMMED him into it with at least 7 throws at FULL POWER. I hear the thuds in my head every time I remember, that stuff scared me a little and I was glad that I never enlisted into his crew. Everything else they did there. Also falling in samurai armour and explaining how different techniques are needed for something like that because of additional weight and so on... some light intensity weapon demonstrations which included throwing of shuriken - not the 'stars' but those pencil shaped ones (forgot how they're called) just that they were not metal ones, but chopsticks, thrown into polyester. The reason being because people were standing around the place and throwing light sticks outside with wind possibility and all was harder.
    No sparring was done, it clearly was all for show (and they knew it and also knew how to make one) but from what I saw I think that their training sessions could be pretty demanding.

That's what I SAW. Than there's what I READ. Apparently they spar as a reporter once did an article about the shihan and that reporter's friend (who likes to train stuff and never misses an opportunity to join if there's a more open seminar in town) went to see a session of one of their more hardcore gatherings and stated that they're totally hitting each other (what I understood from that article is that they mostly train their moves in katas time and time again, but also practice full contact sparring every now and than) and that he saw a dude with broken wrists and one all bloody with a broken nose.
    I'm playing with the idea of visiting their dojo for a long time but never did because I?M FU**ING SCARED OF BEING SLAMMED INTO THE CONCRETE although I fell on it quite a few times and got up all right (looks like all the time spent at aikido, judo and bjj was not a waste after all, although I'm not a fighter and never will be) and I know that in a normal club they go easy on the beginners, because it's a common policy of probably every club in the world to have members, not victims.
    Ok, now I'm just whining, I'll pay those guys and gals a visit.
    Last edited by Stickybomb; 12/15/2013 1:21am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2013 1:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, here's one picture from the event as some sort of proof, that I'm not just making this up as I go. Better than nothing I guess.
    Last edited by Stickybomb; 12/15/2013 1:45am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2013 3:56am

Style: Muay Thai/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiinteresting...

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    12/15/2013 6:28am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've seen pretty impressive pretend battles at Ren Fair as well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2013 6:31am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, let's not be too hasty, there's a lot of gems he said in the newspaper interview - from ki knock out, to special forces ninjas, kicking groin, gauging eyes,... that I'd just like to debate with the man himself if the opportunity for communication arises again.

What I can validate is that they're doing much much more attractive flips than dolphins and have incredible brake-falls and that they seem to like it br00tal and that Capo di Banda seems a cold and calculated bloke I'd prefer not to sparr, since my sparring skills suck.
    But I never saw their REAL training and sparring, god forbid sparred anyone of them.

If I'd be still interested in self defence that much/had money-time-health-talent, I still have a feeling that I'd rather go to the local Dog brothers pack, but am currently just enjoying the privileges of being a weekend warrior.
    However DB pack interests me so much that I want to pay them a visit this summer when most clubs have dead season and I will try and visit the men in black also.

ADDON!!
    Plasma you have beaten me one post :-). I was writing this while you typed yours.

Will post a personal experience from the local Booj dojo in summer.
    Last edited by Stickybomb; 12/15/2013 6:54am at .

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    12/15/2013 6:58am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am very familiar with these Ninja Demo. In fact I was part of them in my younger years. They are very flashy and impressive to the uninitiated. However, they have little reflection of the everyday training and even smaller relation to actual combat.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2013 8:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe you. I also remembered I have a weird experience from about 6 years ago. A girl that I knew trained +++++Wing Chun+++++++ and than went to this particular dojo to try it out. She was so bored and disappointed that she never returned again. When a Wing Chun practitioner gets bored at training something else, this is a MASSIVE bad omen.

Still I need to satisfy my curiosity one day or I'll forever wonder what exactly they are doing.

What concerns me with this particular guy is the option of...

Le Ninja: 'Have you ever trained anything partner?'
    Le Me: 'Well, a bit of grappling, but I suck and...'
    Le Ninja: 'EXCELLENT! Now just stand there like a rag doll for a moment..'
    Le me: 'Ok...'

!!!!!!BAWANG!!!!

Le me: 'F+ck my back....'
    Le ninja: 'I thought you said you are the ukemi expert?'

That was that little worm that stopped me from going there and after a few years the interest faded. However it re - ignited now to the point that I know I have to see and try some of their stuff. I'll probably just get bored as she did.
    And no worries, I don't plan on joining.
    Last edited by Stickybomb; 12/15/2013 8:23am at .
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123