Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    10/12/2013 6:36am

Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickosaurus View Post
    I think I saw a quote from him saying he won't be passing on the secrets of something so maybe it will end with him.
    Unlikely. Too many people have invested too many years of their life for the org, they'll definitely want their piece of the remains. I'm seeing 30 sokes with competing schools that preach hating the false lineages.
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    10/12/2013 6:54am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickosaurus View Post
    I think I saw a quote from him saying he won't be passing on the secrets of something so maybe it will end with him.
    As I understand it, he took a crap one morning and mistook the 'secret scrolls' for his Charmin; when he finished, he flushed them.

Stephen K. Hayes was laying in wait (hiding in the septic tank, as many old-school ninjers do) so the scrolls are now where they were destined to be in the first place. In the hands of another poser who learned a little krotty, went out and bought some black pajamas, a few swords, knives and smoke-bombs. Now, the fallacy of ninjitsu may live on for another generation.

In all seriousness, any time the founder or leader of a system passes away, people come out of the woodwork to fill the role. In example; Ed Parker died and at least ten different high ranking students made their claims, formed their own organizations and became the grandmasters they are today. The same thing will happen if (the immortality thing doesn't work) and Hatsumi dies.

Last edited by slamdunc; 10/12/2013 6:58am at .

Posted On:
    10/12/2013 5:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MattCompo View Post
    Hi all, I've recently come out of the Bujinkan and started MMA which so far I really enjoy. Looking back on my Ninjutsu training, I feel as if it was all washed down into a sort of interactive show in which the instructors basically tell people to let the other person twist their limbs around in different ways and hurt them. The place I went to only seemed interested in getting money, and it was very "army" like as well. They expected you to come to every session and seminar and if not you weren't doing your "duty". I remember once I was also told Ninjutsu was all I would need as well. I once did a side kick and was told it was too risky as it gives away balance and because you're in a sideways position you're too vulnerable... A lot of the time was spent saying how dangerous all the moves were and a bunch of the students just sat there smiling and nodding in agreement. Yet I go to a place where we do Kali and BJJ, and some of the moves they do are exactly the same yet don't go on about them in that way. Maybe it was just a bad club but after seeing the Human Weapon episode and seeing the two guys basically show up the two Ninjutsu Black belts there, I'm not so sure.
    I did buj in B.C. Canada. Apart from the army atmosphere it was exactly the same.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    10/20/2013 1:14pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MattCompo View Post

I've recently come out of the Bujinkan and started MMA which so far I really enjoy.
    So you gave up Live Action Role Playing as a Ninja and now train for a Sport. Good choice, if your reason for training is self defense or to keep in shape MMA will serve you much better. If you wanted to learn more about Japanese Culture and Ancient Weapons you made a bad decision.

Posted On:
    10/25/2013 12:13pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    So you gave up Live Action Role Playing as a Ninja and now train for a Sport. Good choice, if your reason for training is self defense or to keep in shape MMA will serve you much better. If you wanted to learn more about Japanese Culture and Ancient Weapons you made a bad decision.
    Is there any real Japanese culture in it?? Or is it more Japanese culture from a bad 80's movie??

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/25/2013 2:04pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    Is there any real Japanese culture in it?? Or is it more Japanese culture from a bad 80's movie??
    They seem to teach an alternative history of Japan where ninjas were really important historically and Japanese people still think they're cool and real.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/28/2013 10:45am

Style: It's complicated.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyone know how Jinenkan compares to Bunjinkan in terms of quality or lack thereof?

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    10/28/2013 12:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As far as I can see, the Bujinkan is as much about worshipping the God Emperor Hatsumi as it is about doing any physical martial arts. Once he ascends to take his eternal place on the Golden Throne, it's going to be interesting to see the schisms and denouncement of heretics.

It's going to be orders of magnitude bigger than even when Ip Man croaked it - and thanks to the internet, every little squabble will be public and documented for the ages.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/30/2013 12:05am

Style: jiujitsu, karate, shorinj

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE=Keej613;2802863]Anyone know how Jinenkan compares to Bunjinkan in terms of quality or lack thereof?[/QUOT
    I currently train in both Bujinkan and Jinenkan , buj in gatineau and jinenkan in Ottawa. Now from what I've experienced in both I'd say that in terms of bujinkan each sensei has a different approach. But my jinenkan training is very strict and the attention to detail is greatly emphasized. My bujinkan training is more about "feeling" and lots of henka whereas my jinenkan training is very densho based . I kinda learn a general idea of a technique or kata from bujinkan, whereas in jinenkan I learn everything about the technique to the finest details . Progression is EXTREMELY different though. Check out Jinenkan Ottawa dojo on heron and check out bujinkan outouais in hull. I actually really enjoy them both and I find that the mixture of traditional from jinenkan and the "go with the flow" from bujinkan actually go together very well. Neither sensei plays the Ninja crap and both are extremely humble and realistic about what they believe can and cannot work... None of that NINJITSU IS THE ULTIMATE ART crap, both recommend cross training.... They basically emphasize the ART part of everything. Try them both out!
    Last edited by mrbigglesworth; 10/30/2013 12:12am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/30/2013 8:27am

Style: It's complicated.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbigglesworth View Post
    I currently train in both Bujinkan and Jinenkan , buj in gatineau and jinenkan in Ottawa. Now from what I've experienced in both I'd say that in terms of bujinkan each sensei has a different approach. But my jinenkan training is very strict and the attention to detail is greatly emphasized. My bujinkan training is more about "feeling" and lots of henka whereas my jinenkan training is very densho based . I kinda learn a general idea of a technique or kata from bujinkan, whereas in jinenkan I learn everything about the technique to the finest details . Progression is EXTREMELY different though. Check out Jinenkan Ottawa dojo on heron and check out bujinkan outouais in hull. I actually really enjoy them both and I find that the mixture of traditional from jinenkan and the "go with the flow" from bujinkan actually go together very well. Neither sensei plays the Ninja crap and both are extremely humble and realistic about what they believe can and cannot work... None of that NINJITSU IS THE ULTIMATE ART crap, both recommend cross training.... They basically emphasize the ART part of everything. Try them both out!
    How practical do you find the Jinenkan stuff? How much of a workout do you get? In comparison, would you say the training feels closer to judo or closer to aikido? Thanks!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast