Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/14/2013 1:49pm

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

Hell yeah! Hell no!

targets on the cheap

http://tgace.com/2013/10/13/my-sort-of-recycling/

In this time of financial hard times it's only logical to try and save money where you can. When I started to see that I was putting large sheets of cardboard out on the curb on a frequent basis It dawned on me that IPSC targets were going for over a dollar apiece.

While it was always possible to simply draw out the dimensions on the board and cut them out, my drive for efficiency (ie laziness) made me think of what easier options there could be.

The solution I came up with was to swipe a piece of foam core board from my wife's crafting horde and cook up a template.

I cut out windows for the head and COM zones and punched holes (with a .40 S&W case :) ) for the B Zone area.

Now, whenever I have a large piece of cardboard laying around I grab whatever dwindling can of spray paint I can find in my garage...there's always one somewhere...and get to work.

While they may not be as professional in appearance as a store purchased pack, I have a somewhat constant supply of targets at a fraction of the cost.

Posted On:
    10/14/2013 2:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's how I use em. ;)

I tried hanging them from arbor hooks with a weight on the bottom. The wind imparts some spin and gives me a "have a shot...dont have a shot" decision to make. I have someone random load magazines so I don't know how many rounds I have in any one. I also try to avoid any specific pattern of shots so you can see Im not doing 2 COM 1 head or double tap each.

My groupings are not stellar but they are all from shooting on the move and 80-90% are in the red so Im not too discontent. ;)
    Last edited by tgace; 10/14/2013 2:16pm at .

Yours truly

Posted On:
    10/15/2013 11:02pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I love how that video mainly serves to increase your sex appeal ;)
    Any tips on walking and shooting? I just try to do the cadence thing, heel to tow heel to toe and fire in rythm whenever front sight falls on target. I suck at it still :S My rankings go down like crazy when I have an IDPA match with more than one '.fire on the move' string in a match
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Posted On:
    10/15/2013 11:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
    I love how that video mainly serves to increase your sex appeal ;)
    Any tips on walking and shooting? I just try to do the cadence thing, heel to tow heel to toe and fire in rythm whenever front sight falls on target. I suck at it still :S My rankings go down like crazy when I have an IDPA match with more than one '.fire on the move' string in a match
    LOL..that's pretty much it, but in reverse gear its toe to heel. I prefer to go back and lateral but for range safety I cant do it (yet) where that vid was shot.

I like to watch myself shoot because it lets me see where I need work. This one is from spring...ive been working my trigger reset because I could see my trigger slap here. My groups are tightening up accordingly.

In general (IMO) I think its wiser to practice retreat/lateral movement to cover vs the more sexy "advance and eliminate" drills you see out there. Its a more realistic defensive strategy. IMO you are far more likely to be in a position where retreating to cover is the better option than a frontal assault.

That's not to say that those in the military/SWAT..active shooter response role don't need training in fire and maneuver skills, but many drills I see out there seem to be overstressing it.
    Last edited by tgace; 10/15/2013 11:54pm at .