Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2013 2:58pm

Style: It's complicated.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think a better option would be to run.

;)

Posted On:
    10/25/2013 3:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe I'm a bit naive, but what happened to good ole mace?? I have put a good amount of effort into HEMA training, but I think the thought of using a two handed sword for self-defense is somewhat retarded. But on the off chance a knife gets pulled I might at least be able to die doing something that looks cool. Seriously though I would say weapons training of that type isn't any more or less realistic to defense than any other martial art.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/25/2013 4:58pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keej613 View Post
    Ah! Ok! So you're more of a collector . . . it's not like there are ninjas after you or you ratted on MS13 or you're a spy who defected.
    I wouldn't make it an either/or scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    Maybe I'm a bit naive, but what happened to good ole mace?? I have put a good amount of effort into HEMA training, but I think the thought of using a two handed sword for self-defense is somewhat retarded.
    The mace was used in WW1 and 2:

Maces in antiquity were often designed to do damage through armor, where a sword was less useful. I'd say the general lack of armor these days makes a mace overkill, but they definitely work. There's a mace under my girlfriend's side of the bed.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    10/25/2013 6:50pm

supporting member
     Style: TangSooDo/Yubiwaza

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Again, honestly not being snarky, just genuinely curious: Is it really so dangerous where you live that you need to carry weapons around just to go for a hike or a drive? The worse thing I have to worry about when I go for a hike is raccoons with rabies, a bear or a moose in heat.

I do a lot of hiking in Shenandoah National Park. Its pretty safe for the most part, but there have been a few murders there over the years. Last I heard of was a couple of women campers, and they never caught the person responsible. I got in the habit of carrying when I was hiking with my wife and son, who was about 5-6, and we ran into some strange characters out in the backcountry. Ultimately nothing happened -- they were harmless -- but it drove the point home that I was responsible for my family and running was not an option. As for a drive, I would only carry if I'm going to be out on the interstate late at night, and expect to stop at a gas station or rest stop. Again, it safe for the most part, but there have been incidents over the years.

I have been hiking in Alaska, where I was told that carrying a pistol is a good idea in case you run into a bear. Not to shoot the bear, but hopefully to scare it off.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    10/25/2013 7:10pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To be clear, I'm not suggesting that traditional weapons training is a waste of time -- I think it is possible to pick up useful skills and to derive a lot of satisfaction from the training. My point is just that if you need a weapon in modern times, a modern weapon is the best choice. Like I said in an earlier post in another thread, there's a reason why cops and soldiers carry guns and not nunchucks.

Posted On:
    10/25/2013 7:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MattCompo View Post
    Anyway, my question is: Is training in arts like Kali and Kendo, or training with say a bo staff/bokken at home any use in the world today, except as a hobby?
    This russian guy can answer your question.

Posted On:
    10/25/2013 10:40pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The OP is a little ambiguous. I suppose he/she would have to identify what they consider a traditional weapon. My understanding is that kendo is a sport ruleset based on traditional japanese sword skills so I think everyone would agree that kendo is a traditional weapons art. As for the practicality of kendo? I'm sure it has some carry over to modern times but my impression is that there isn't a lot of emphasis or time spent on modern applications of kendo so it has limited practicality for self defense but there is potential for more. FMA on the other hand in most systems is all about translation, what I mean is that often we train with rattan but it is understood by practitioners that rattan is only used for it's cost effectiveness, saftey, and versatility, rattan sticks were never intended to be the primary weapon of an eskrimador (although they'll do just fine if nothing else is present). FMA is all about recycling moves the same angle attack and defense applies to many different scenarios, first you train with a stick, then knife, then empty hand, and possibly double stick or stick and knife with the same scenario, and so on, the tools make little difference. If there is no stick grab a rock, a pool ball, pen, a stout piece of mulch, the tool is of little significance force multiplication is the goal.

Not that the OP addressed FMA but since it has come up I thought i'd throw in my input. Some FMA systems have a more classical approach where moves are controlled and obsessed over, other FMAs are more alive and to the point but in my experience all of them emphasize that the weapon doesn't matter and anything will work.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/26/2013 6:58am

Style: Muay Thai/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I saw a story on the news awhile ago about a guy who was attacked by a mountain lion while hiking. He survived because he had a knife on him. Got fucked up, but managed to kill the cat and live through it.

So maybe from a practicality point of view there is some value, but only if you practice fighting mountain lions...

The whole pressure testing thing might be a little rough in regards to that though.

Posted On:
    10/26/2013 9:11am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Again, honestly not being snarky, just genuinely curious: Is it really so dangerous where you live that you need to carry weapons around just to go for a hike or a drive? The worse thing I have to worry about when I go for a hike is raccoons with rabies, a bear or a moose in heat.
    My everyday carry in the city is usually two folders, and if I'm in the woods, I'll add a larger fixed blade and a stick. That's just being prudent.

Had someone banging away on my apartment door in the middle of the night a few months ago, and I answered it carrying my Cold Steel blackthorn cane.

I'm much like Permalost - I've been around blades all my life (my father is an amateur historian), and collect them. There's at least a dozen swords hanging around here, plus another two dozen knives of various description.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    10/26/2013 10:04am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guys, when it comes to picking practical weapons for self defense, here's something a lot of MArtists don't think about. As a retired criminal prosecutor, I can tell you this from personal experience. In the U.S., and I suspect in Canada as well, the firearm is perceived as the weapon of choice by respectable law-abiding citizens. The general public thinks that traditional MA weapons are carried only by thugs and kooks who like to run around at night dressed in black pajamas. In a self-defense incident, if you and your assailant are both holding MA weapons, its more likely to be perceived as mutual combat, and it may even be credible for him to claim that you were the aggressor. Of course, this is affected by the circumstances of the incident (like if someone comes to your door), or by your appearance, witness statements, etc.

Its not possible for everyone to carry firearms, but at least then pick an impact weapon that appears more conventional, such as a Maglite or a claw hammer. Even a police baton is better than a medieval mace. If you have to use a knife, pick something that does not make you look like you're a commando wannabe -- preferably something with ducks or bambis on the handle.

TMA weapons are great to make, collect, train with, and ok for use against helpless woodland creatures. You can fight off a mountain lion, or cut your own arm off if its trapped under a rock. But god help you if you end up in front of a jury having poked a hole in someone's trachea with your balisong, or your deadly assisted opening black steel commando knife, and you have to argue to them that it was self-defense.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast