Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2013 12:57am

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by poidog View Post
    Hey Krijgsman,

What times are you looking at for training? The VMAC classes are Monday, Wednesday and Thursday - 7-8 p.m. Nick teaches the Monday class, Dave "Stray Dog" Rothburg teaches the Wednesday class (he teaches a kali & western deuling blend - James Keating material - fun stuff!) and I teach the Thursday class - although we sometimes cover each others classes during schedule conflicts. Saturday mornings 10-Noon is the NoHo clan class/training sessions, and I also have a more classical FMA class Sunday mornings 9:30-11.

NoHo clan sessions are predominantly stick/knife emphasis, with some empty hand application and stickgrappling - think of it as mostly Gathering prep work. Let me know if you want more info regarding the classes or contact info for any of us. All the best.

Aloha, Poi
    Dang, thanks so much for replying.

Unfortunately right now my Monday evening is taken up by Judo and I work every Wednesday, Thursday, Friday evening as a security guard. Perhaps I could figure out a way to make it to the Saturday or Sunday classes, if I can find the time.

Where does the Sat/Sun NoHo group meet?

If you could maybe shoot me a PM with your email and/or other contact info that would be awesome.

ORNYTHORINQUE!... BOIT-SANS-SOIF!... BACHI-BOUZOUK!

Posted On:
    10/09/2013 3:13am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    I'd say the reason for that is because of the way Remy Presas disseminated his art. He did seminars all over the place (when nobody else was really promoting FMA), and billed it as "the art that fits in with any art". What you ended up with was TKD'ers doing some arnis but with a TKD flavour to it, etc.
    Presas apparently settled in my hometown, and I found a student of his to take classes with for a year. The guy was predominantly an aikido teacher and the classes were just as you say: aikido flavoured stick swinging. No sparring. I don't count it when I consider my background in martial arts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2013 3:45am

Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The "Modern Arnis" label on its own isn't necessarily a red flag, nor is the fact that its been taught by an Aikidoka. (One of the top Modern Arnis guys in the UK is both an Aikido and Modern Arnis teacher, he's reasonably badass and his guys spar hard).

That said, if the alternative is DBMA under a bunch of full Dog Brothers then its not even a choice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2013 6:08am

Style: Wrestle, Kickbox, Aikido

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    The "Modern Arnis" label on its own isn't necessarily a red flag, nor is the fact that its been taught by an Aikidoka. (One of the top Modern Arnis guys in the UK is both an Aikido and Modern Arnis teacher, he's reasonably badass and his guys spar hard).

That said, if the alternative is DBMA under a bunch of full Dog Brothers then its not even a choice.
    You know, modern arnis and aikido are paired at my school as well...seems like an awful lot of Modern Arnis is paired with Aikido (based on responses to this thread, if nothing else)...anyone know if that was an intentional thing?

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/09/2013 12:12pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keslet View Post
    You know, modern arnis and aikido are paired at my school as well...seems like an awful lot of Modern Arnis is paired with Aikido (based on responses to this thread, if nothing else)...anyone know if that was an intentional thing?
    Modern Arnis is often taught in a seminar format, aikido schools often host such seminars from various arts (there's a local aikido/systema place around here).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2013 12:55pm

Style: FMA/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yah, I've met some decent Modern Arnis people, but also a lot of very bad ones. Remy was famous for spreading the art, but he also certified a lot of people in seminars, many of whom shouldn't be instructing anyone.

Honestly, even with the Inosanto system, I've seen a pretty broad range of ability as well. From very competent fighters, to total non-fighters who do a lot of patterned drill dancing.

I'd guess that any of the more widespread systems will have teachers with a broad range of ability and fighting aptitude.

Just observe, ask if they spar, and give them the old eyeball test. As a judoka, you should have pretty good judgement as to what looks like its a live art with good combative application, even if you know anything about stickfighting.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/20/2013 1:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey folks

Anyone have info on the North Hollywood Dog Bros group that Poidog mentioned meeting on Saturdays and Sundays? I haven't been successful in contacting him about it and am very interested in it.

Thanks, you're all lovely.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/21/2013 12:42pm

Style: Pekiti-Tirsia Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krijgsman View Post
    Hey folks

Anyone have info on the North Hollywood Dog Bros group that Poidog mentioned meeting on Saturdays and Sundays? I haven't been successful in contacting him about it and am very interested in it.

Thanks, you're all lovely.
    Try Nick Papadakis, contact info listed at:
    http://bloodsport.com/calikali/contact/index.html

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/21/2013 12:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blindside View Post
    Try Nick Papadakis, contact info listed at:
    http://bloodsport.com/calikali/contact/index.html
    Cool, I will try him next. Thanks :)

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/21/2013 1:07pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The last Beat the Crap out of Cancer in LA was held in the back of Valley Martial Arts in North Hollywood, and they stock Bloodsport's gear, so if you're in the area you could ask them who to contact.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast