Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Thread: "Modern" Arnis?

  1. #11

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    603
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by poidog View Post
    Hey Krijgsman,

    What times are you looking at for training? The VMAC classes are Monday, Wednesday and Thursday - 7-8 p.m. Nick teaches the Monday class, Dave "Stray Dog" Rothburg teaches the Wednesday class (he teaches a kali & western deuling blend - James Keating material - fun stuff!) and I teach the Thursday class - although we sometimes cover each others classes during schedule conflicts. Saturday mornings 10-Noon is the NoHo clan class/training sessions, and I also have a more classical FMA class Sunday mornings 9:30-11.

    NoHo clan sessions are predominantly stick/knife emphasis, with some empty hand application and stickgrappling - think of it as mostly Gathering prep work. Let me know if you want more info regarding the classes or contact info for any of us. All the best.

    Aloha, Poi
    Dang, thanks so much for replying.

    Unfortunately right now my Monday evening is taken up by Judo and I work every Wednesday, Thursday, Friday evening as a security guard. Perhaps I could figure out a way to make it to the Saturday or Sunday classes, if I can find the time.

    Where does the Sat/Sun NoHo group meet?

    If you could maybe shoot me a PM with your email and/or other contact info that would be awesome.

  2. #12
    ORNYTHORINQUE!... BACHIBOUZOUK!!... BOIS-SANS-SOIF!!! supporting member
    The Cap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    488
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    I'd say the reason for that is because of the way Remy Presas disseminated his art. He did seminars all over the place (when nobody else was really promoting FMA), and billed it as "the art that fits in with any art". What you ended up with was TKD'ers doing some arnis but with a TKD flavour to it, etc.
    Presas apparently settled in my hometown, and I found a student of his to take classes with for a year. The guy was predominantly an aikido teacher and the classes were just as you say: aikido flavoured stick swinging. No sparring. I don't count it when I consider my background in martial arts.

  3. #13
    Fuzzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    1,185
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The "Modern Arnis" label on its own isn't necessarily a red flag, nor is the fact that its been taught by an Aikidoka. (One of the top Modern Arnis guys in the UK is both an Aikido and Modern Arnis teacher, he's reasonably badass and his guys spar hard).

    That said, if the alternative is DBMA under a bunch of full Dog Brothers then its not even a choice.

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    The Badlands of Ohio
    Posts
    310
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    The "Modern Arnis" label on its own isn't necessarily a red flag, nor is the fact that its been taught by an Aikidoka. (One of the top Modern Arnis guys in the UK is both an Aikido and Modern Arnis teacher, he's reasonably badass and his guys spar hard).

    That said, if the alternative is DBMA under a bunch of full Dog Brothers then its not even a choice.
    You know, modern arnis and aikido are paired at my school as well...seems like an awful lot of Modern Arnis is paired with Aikido (based on responses to this thread, if nothing else)...anyone know if that was an intentional thing?

  5. #15
    Permalost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    13,092
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keslet View Post
    You know, modern arnis and aikido are paired at my school as well...seems like an awful lot of Modern Arnis is paired with Aikido (based on responses to this thread, if nothing else)...anyone know if that was an intentional thing?
    Modern Arnis is often taught in a seminar format, aikido schools often host such seminars from various arts (there's a local aikido/systema place around here).

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    275
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yah, I've met some decent Modern Arnis people, but also a lot of very bad ones. Remy was famous for spreading the art, but he also certified a lot of people in seminars, many of whom shouldn't be instructing anyone.

    Honestly, even with the Inosanto system, I've seen a pretty broad range of ability as well. From very competent fighters, to total non-fighters who do a lot of patterned drill dancing.

    I'd guess that any of the more widespread systems will have teachers with a broad range of ability and fighting aptitude.

    Just observe, ask if they spar, and give them the old eyeball test. As a judoka, you should have pretty good judgement as to what looks like its a live art with good combative application, even if you know anything about stickfighting.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    603
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey folks

    Anyone have info on the North Hollywood Dog Bros group that Poidog mentioned meeting on Saturdays and Sundays? I haven't been successful in contacting him about it and am very interested in it.

    Thanks, you're all lovely.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kennewick, WA
    Posts
    98
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krijgsman View Post
    Hey folks

    Anyone have info on the North Hollywood Dog Bros group that Poidog mentioned meeting on Saturdays and Sundays? I haven't been successful in contacting him about it and am very interested in it.

    Thanks, you're all lovely.
    Try Nick Papadakis, contact info listed at:
    http://bloodsport.com/calikali/contact/index.html

  9. #19

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    603
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blindside View Post
    Try Nick Papadakis, contact info listed at:
    http://bloodsport.com/calikali/contact/index.html
    Cool, I will try him next. Thanks :)

  10. #20
    Permalost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    13,092
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The last Beat the Crap out of Cancer in LA was held in the back of Valley Martial Arts in North Hollywood, and they stock Bloodsport's gear, so if you're in the area you could ask them who to contact.

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO