Welterweight

Posted On:
    10/09/2013 1:25pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TangSooDo/Yubiwaza

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlMatt View Post
    I think you're talking about a completely separate problem from the one the thread is about. OP's article is about athlete's promoting certain foods, not about the availability of said foods.
    Maybe so -- my point was that the promotion of these foods is in a different league of harm from promotion of other things by the media, because its aggravated by lack of choice in the real world.

Posted On:
    10/09/2013 3:11pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Eskrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The point is ignorance leads to more ignorance. I do not blame the athletes for agreeing to do these commercials or food endorsements; I too enjoy a good Micky Dee's run every now and then. However, the key is not to over-indulge and to have an understanding of a balanced diet combined with (at the least) a moderate amount of physical activity. If kid's parents are not active, then plain and simple the kid is not going to be active either. If the kid's parents do not eat healthy food on a daily basis, neither will the kid. It's that simple. While the endorsements of a popular athlete do play a factor on what a child or growing teen might choose to eat, when it comes down to it its really the parents' responsibility and how a kid's parent(s) lives his/her/their life/lives.

Of course, this is just my personal opinion l o l.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2013 4:58am

Style: BJJ Beginner

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    it actually isnt.

if you are of age to be making money you are old enough to know mcdonalds is **** for you. if you arent, then why are you giving your kids money to buy **** food?

i never got given money as a kid unless i earned it, and theres no fucking way i was gonna waste the 5c i got per dog **** i picked up from the garden on mcdonalds. you know how many dog shits i would have to fondle to buy a fucking 5 dollar combo? 100 shits. and our dogs ate some fucked up stuff. i had to pull plastic bags out of our deerhounds ass on more than one occasion because it was thick and suicidal, and i still only got 5c for that. When I bought anything as a child it had to REALLY be worth it.

what im trying to say is, if you dont want your kids to eat bad food, make them pick up animal **** for money. you learn values.
    Alex, have you ever been to America? My experience in the mid-west was it was so difficult to get healthy food. The bread we were eating even tasted sweet. The family with 3 kids we were staying with had chocolate out at breakfast.

I was dying for a salad by the end of my first week, I am not saying you cant get healthy food there or in other places in America but the ease of access to just simple healthy food seemed a lot harder and what was apparently culturally acceptable to consider as regular day to day food was a lot more different than what I was used to.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    10/17/2013 3:01pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Auszi View Post
    Alex, have you ever been to America? My experience in the mid-west was it was so difficult to get healthy food. The bread we were eating even tasted sweet. The family with 3 kids we were staying with had chocolate out at breakfast.

I was dying for a salad by the end of my first week, I am not saying you cant get healthy food there or in other places in America but the ease of access to just simple healthy food seemed a lot harder and what was apparently culturally acceptable to consider as regular day to day food was a lot more different than what I was used to.
    It's worse in the Marshall Islands. All the bread there is baked with extra sugar.

When I served in the Peace Corps in the Federated States of Micronesia I went from like 180 lbs to nearly 210 basically due to nearly non existent affordable healthy food choices. When I came back Stateside I dropped down to ~165. So I would say that environment has a lot to do with it including food availability.
    Best Vietnam War music video I've ever seen put together by a vet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDY8raKsdfg
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123