Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2013 12:25am

Style: MMA/JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Yet for the 125lb girl it most certainly is a fight
    The fact that she thinks it is doesn't make it so.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2013 2:01am

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Apologies in advance. I got about a quarter of the way through this thread before I just skipped to the end to post this.

I think it's useful to draw the distinction between a match, and the skills learned to compete in that match. In almost every type of match, there are rules that restrict what you can do to attempt to win. In a fight there are no such rules, but that doesn't mean that you need to exercise every possible technique in every range just to be "fighting." A very skilled pure grappler can win a fight against a more well-rounded but less skilled fighter. To use a cliched example, Royce Gracie won his "fight" in UFC 1, which had much fewer rules than any professional combat sport has today, but he used only grappling to win it. Ken Shamrock was a much better striker, and a more well-rounded fighter than Royce, but he lost the fight to a pure grappler.

In my opinion, it is what risks you take engaging in the activity that defines whether or not it is a fight, not what techniques you use to attempt to win it.

Posted On:
    10/20/2013 6:28pm

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keslet View Post
    But, okay, "intent" can be used different ways.
    Yes, this was my point.

Quote Originally Posted by Keslet View Post
    I'm thinking of intent as the end or goal to an action(s). So, if my intent, or goal, is to get a gallon of milk at the store, and I get a bunch of stuff but forget the milk, I didn't accomplish what I set out to do.

With this thread, "fight" has been put forth by some as 'having the intent to harm', then grouping different combat arts and competitions using that definition. I don't think this works well for the reasons stated, with that lurid example being what I think MMA would look like if all fighters had that mindset (I.e., no one would go for subs, unless they could consistently take them to the point of injury).
    And this is where I disagree with you. As put forth from the OP (and since), the definition has been the intent with which the force is applied, not the overarching object(goal) of the participant.

From the OP:
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Why? Because of the intention of the force they are using.
    Applying x with intent is different to being intent on x.
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.
Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627