Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/07/2013 6:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    This. While I've never heard a wrestler refer to a wrestling match as a fight, I've heard more than a few BJJ guys say they were "fighting this weekend" when talking about attending a grappling tournament.
    I think this is a translation issue from Portuguese to English, something like to the use of 'professor'.

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    10/07/2013 7:23pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    So I had this discussion with a student of mine awhile ago. She could not understand why I didn't consider Jiu Jitsu players fighters...
    Of course, you're right. I am guilty of talking about my next "fight." Problem is, despite the "human chess," of grappling/BJJ - and I like chess - I have a really hard time calling what I do a match. The tennis nuts in the office might will get the wrong idea.

Can we have a one-syllable word that is between "match," and "fight," in severity? I'm open to suggestions... bout? feud? duel (depending on your dialect)?

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    10/07/2013 8:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    So I had this discussion with a student of mine awhile ago. She could not understand why I didn't consider Jiu Jitsu players fighters. At the time I did not have the right words. I simply told her that it is simply the same for Judo, Wrestlers, and other competitive grapplers. I just don't feel like they are fighters. Well I think I've found the right words.

When two "krotty" guys are point fighting I don't consider them fighters either. I don't consider Sumo fighters and I don't consider fencing fighting. Why? Because of the intention of the force they are using. In a fight the intention is try to hurt somebody and knock them out, send them to the hospital; not get points, not make somebody give up, not pin them.

So unless a Jiu Jitsu player wants to put the gloves on and go MMA then we can call him a Jiu Jitsu fighter. Of course there are other arguments which is why I wanted to open up this thread.
    anyone who has been in a full contact striking match (a fight) and competed in grappling should be able to understand this.

i sure as hell know that i do. i also *clearly* remember the last time i was hit really hard (resulting in a fracture of my orbital socket) and i very clearly remember telling myself "well. that's it, i'm done with fighting. i don't ever want to be hit that hard again." it was several years ago. i have not fought since.

i competed in a judo tournament over the weekend.

edit: to be clear, i say a full contact striking match, because all of the "street fights" i have been in were really lame, and not nearly as intense as a judo tournament. so i don't rate "street fights" very highly unless i have video to watch.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2013 8:39pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I take the same point of view as Josh Barnett, on the Joe Rogan experience he said something along the lines that it doesn't matter what you train or how badass you are in the gym unless you step into a ring or cage with another human being who wants to break you then you are not a fighter. In a grappling match even if you always fight for a finish you don't intend to really hurt your opponent, you want to win but I don't think you set out to really hurt anyone. In full contact striking or MMA you win by doing damage until the other guy gives up or can't fight (knockout/stoppage).

So basically I agree but you have to actually get in a ring and fight someone to be a fighter, not just train in MMA or striking.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2013 9:53pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll come out of Bullshido retirement to be the dissenting opinion in this thread.

While I don't personally refer to my grappling matches as "fights," I don't begrudge anyone who does. To me, a fight just means a violent, strategic contest. Besides martial arts, I also play the game of Go. Intense tactical exchanges in Go are referred to by players as "fighting," where you are attempting to "kill" your opponents groups while keeping yours "alive." Similarly, I consider an intense back-and-forth grappling exchange with attacks, counters, and scrambles to be worthy of being called a "fight."

The problem with limiting the word "fight" to striking sports is that it is absolutely a slippery slope. "MMA? That's not a fight. There's no referee or rounds in a real fight!"

"A street scuffle? That's not a fight. Nobody's pulling a weapon on you!"

"An outlaw biker brawl? That's not a fight. There's no tanks or heavy ordnance."

Yes, grappling is a very different kind of fight than boxing, but that doesn't make it less of a fight. Why do we always hear about how grappling isn't a "fight," but nobody ever complains when someone says, "I'm fighting a cold?"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2013 10:02pm

Style: Seidokaikan

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm OK with this too, but I don't have the ability to articulate it well. I've done full-contact with striking and it "felt" like a fight. I had that fear of serious injury. I've done grappling (okay, crappling) matches and didn't have that feeling, because I knew I could always submit before I got broken.

On the other hand I've been to one judo tournament and seen a girl's ulna come out of her arm and watched two guys leave on backboards. The worst I've ever seen in nearly 20 years of karate was broken ribs, noses, fingers, and toes. Maybe I shouldn't listen to my feelings on this subject.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2013 10:52pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keslet View Post
    If the criteria is the intent to cause harm (rather than just point fighting, pins, or form competitions) wouldn't boxing and kickboxing still be considered fights? They use a more limited rule set than MMA...is that another consideration?
    My decision about the terms is purely arbitrary.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2013 2:58am

Style: 1 technique 1000 times

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    and I don't consider fencing fighting.
    Add sharp blades + a bad attitude towards each other = fight! :D

I feel like you eyeballin' me, dawg!

Posted On:
    10/08/2013 8:16am

Style: Judo, JJJ, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krijgsman View Post
    Despite being almost entirely a Judo guy, I agree. Whenever people around my clubs said "Judo fight" I cringed. On the other hand, approaching your grappling with the intensity of a fight is probably a must if you want to be a champion. And this fight vs grapple may be partially because of how specialized the rule sets of the sports are, rather than vale tudo or similar settings where jiu jitsu or judo (or wrestling, etc) might be used.
    One of the judo instructors I teach with always refers to judo matches/randori as fighting. I asked him once why he calls it fighting, yet calls the participants players. I didn't get a response.

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    anyone who has been in a full contact striking match (a fight) and competed in grappling should be able to understand this.

i sure as hell know that i do. i also *clearly* remember the last time i was hit really hard (resulting in a fracture of my orbital socket) and i very clearly remember telling myself "well. that's it, i'm done with fighting. i don't ever want to be hit that hard again." it was several years ago. i have not fought since.

i competed in a judo tournament over the weekend.

edit: to be clear, i say a full contact striking match, because all of the "street fights" i have been in were really lame, and not nearly as intense as a judo tournament. so i don't rate "street fights" very highly unless i have video to watch.
    How's the knee Holding up?
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    BJJ JOE: I'm going to make hate to you. Right here, right now.
    ... Ohhhhhhhh, I'm going to make hate to you so hard that your kinfolk back in Africa will feel it.l
    Quote Originally Posted by Archer
    Karate is the Dane Cook of martial arts

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2013 8:35am

Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To me frame of mind is the deciding factor. I feel as though I'v had grappling matches and grappling fights the fights tend to be against either new guys or mma fighters who grapple with that mindset. I'm not sure the means you use to end the fight are relevant. For instance if in a street fight you choose to choke someone unconscious rather than punch them unconscious were still in a fight?
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast