Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2013 1:05pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    LOL. They are all over this website. Things change, just like the comment "lurk more, post less" that used to be the norm. About one and a half years ago your post would have been retitled, laughed at, dumped in trollshido, dead horse memes would have been posted, links to the very same opinion would have been provided and Sirc would have called you the "N-word."
    Those were the days, I remember them fondly.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    10/07/2013 1:06pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by csharp.negative View Post
    This is one of the best kicks of all time.

OF ALL TIME.
    Do you think he worked on that in sparring, or did the crazy just build up over time until he could no longer contain it?
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2013 1:18pm

Style: 1 technique 1000 times

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    Do you think he worked on that in sparring, or did the crazy just build up over time until he could no longer contain it?
    Yes.

I wish I remembered what one of my classmates did in a small tournament he fought in recently. Did NOT drill the combo, did NOT use those techniques a lot in sparring, and HE didn't even know what he threw until he saw the video, but he knocked the guy out with it! :D

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2013 11:00pm

Style: Wrestle, Kickbox, Aikido

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krijgsman View Post
    I would actually argue that, since styles like Karate or Kung Fu were once used in actual full contact fighting, they probably resembled kickboxing back in the day anyway. I mean, how often is Karate linked to Kung Fu, linked to some obscure Indian monk who knew how to kickbox? The lineages might be bullshit, but the point is what works, works.

Its the straying away from full contact to point sparring etc that has lead to full use of side-on stances and the like. Because arts adapt to the their rule sets. Pre-modern (Queensberry rules) boxing looked an awful lot like shootboxing - takedowns, etc.

There is nothing new under the sun. And when it comes to fighting that is because the human body moves in the same patterns (give or take) no matter if you are a 15th century Japanese Samurai or 4th century BC Spartan or a modern MMA fighter. Heel hooks are heel hooks. A wrist lock/kimura/udegarame/etc is what it is. Aliveness and pressure testing tends to filter out the bullshit - which is why everything starts looking similar.

I am getting even myself off track at this point. *beatingdeadhorse.gif*
    You know, my opinion here, but I'm not sure that all these different styles really looked like MMA back in Ye Olde Times. Styles can hold up quite well against themselves...so if two karate practitioners are going full contact, both in side stances and what not, they kind of balance each other out. Events like the UFC originally had these 'style vs. style' match-ups all the time, and it really became clear what did and didn't work.

That's not to say folks weren't cross training and incorporating elements from different styles to some extent already, but things really changed after the first few UFC's and knockoffs. It was just in your face and impossible to deny that many of the myths we all believed from our early MA experiences were exposed. At this point you could say that "MMA" became its own martial art that balances effective striking, grappling, and submissions. Fighters today train totally differently than they did way back when.

I'm sure this has all been said before, but just my $0.02.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    10/08/2013 1:36am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ALL styles are effective if you condition your knuckles enough by doing push ups on concrete.
    King without a crown

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2013 6:55am

Style: Wrestle, Kickbox, Aikido

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PDA View Post
    ALL styles are effective if you condition your knuckles enough by doing push ups on concrete.
    I dunno, I tried concrete push-ups for a good 6 months, and I still couldn't project Chi One damn bit...

Welterweight

Posted On:
    10/08/2013 10:03am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keslet View Post
    I dunno, I tried concrete push-ups for a good 6 months, and I still couldn't project Chi One damn bit...
    Your feet must have been touching the floor.
    King without a crown

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2013 11:38am

Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe a lot of times, when we see sparring in different styles, and they start to look similar to each other, a lot of the blame for that similarity should fall on the safety gear.

Big boxing gloves, head gear, shin pads, whatever combination of gear you use, it all narrows down your options.

I always thought one of the reasons for the success of Muay Thai in MMA was because hand wraps and gloves are so completely integrated into the art, there is no need to translate from practice to sparring/competition.

I wonder if there are some very effective techniques/styles that get lost (or drift too far into BS-space) because of the safety gear we train/compete with.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    10/08/2013 12:38pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
    I doubt any of you would argue that traditional Karate does not teach to fight with one's side facing one's opponent.
    I would argue this. Uechi ryu, for example, uses a square, upright stance. The low kata style stances were especially emphasized when Funakoshi spread Shotokan.

Posted On:
    10/08/2013 2:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I would argue this. Uechi ryu, for example, uses a square, upright stance. The low kata style stances were especially emphasized when Funakoshi spread Shotokan.
    How can anyone question Cuddles' decades of Karate experience?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast