Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/06/2013 3:07pm

Style: HS Cuddling

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Imo, there ARE bad styles

...and just training with aliveness doesn't cut it.

I know a lot of you will argue that as long as a style trains with aliveness, it'll become a perfectly good/valid form of fighting.

However, I think that even with alive training, there are some styles that are bad.

But let me define what I assume as a "bad" style:
    Any style that does not allow you to (restricts you from) fight to the best of your abilities in whatever situation you're training for (i.e. Stand-up, Clinch, Grappling)

Why is this so?

Because, in my humble opinion, once a "bad" style starts being pressure tested, it looks a lot less like itself and a lot more like a tried-and-true style such as Kickboxing, Muay Thai, or the various forms of grappling. Thus, the style itself disappears.

In this way, a good style is the style that does not need to change how it fights in order to fight more effectively.

A great example is Karate. I doubt any of you would argue that traditional Karate does not teach to fight with one's side facing one's opponent. Thus, if restricted to fighting with one's side facing one's opponent, the Karate user will be at a severe disadvantage when compared to another style that squares up, such as Muay Thai.

And under pressure testing, the Karate starts looking less and less like Karate and more and more like Kickboxing. Kyoukushin Karate is the perfect example of this, where you see kickboxers in karate uniforms beating each other up under slightly modified kickboxing rules and calling it "Karate". This is completely different from the traditional idea of "Karate" users "killing" each other with "one punch, one kill".

Thus, I would argue that KK Karate isn't really Karate at all, just an entirely new style of fighting that likes to be called "Karate". (since I'm sure that you can call a style whatever you want it to. Hence Purple Dragon, Systema, Yellow Bamboo, etc)

Now, I'm not saying that a traditional Karate user can't beat a Muay Thai fighter; it certainly is possible. However, the Karate user will be at a clear disadvantage if he chooses to fight facing the side. Or in an exaggeratedly low, squared stance. Or with one hand up and one hand hugging the belly.

TL;DR - A style is bad when it puts its user at a disadvantage and must in essence change itself to something "new" in order to fight in a competitive, full-contact engagement.

And, imo, even Omega isn't an exception to this. (I HAVE to bring this up, since I know he'll call me a dumbass and say he eats souls CMA)

Yes, he fights well. Yes he can kick my ass with Traditional CMA. But in order to fight to the best of his abilities (i.e. competitively), he must use something closer to a MMA/Kickboxing stance instead of the "cat stance" or "horse stance" that most are taught to fight in. Meaning that he's not using just that style anymore. And if you mix styles, you come up with MMA or some mixed crossbreed like Shoto-Ryu-jitsu-nin-do Karate. Which means that the style of fighting is "bad".

Younger generations and their pesky new ideas.

On hiatus

Posted On:
    10/06/2013 3:14pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ritalin. But I definitely agree.

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/06/2013 4:05pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
    ignorance about stances and other styles
    LOL
    Younger generations and their pesky new ideas.
    NO, not new at all.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/06/2013 4:08pm

Style: aikido

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
    EVERYBODY LISTEN TO MY OPINION
    No, I don't think I will.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    10/06/2013 4:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well uh duh. Aliveness forces the most effect techniques/methods to rise to the top. Certain styles promote a certain method that is inherently inefficient or ineffective, thus a "technical meritocracy" is created where (allowing for physical differences) the best techniques for most people rise to the top. The best guys have something that separates them from others and allows the to use esoteric techniques extremely effectively.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    10/06/2013 4:13pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with you Cuddles, but your ideas aren't new. Interestingly, when I started posting here way back when there seemed to be a lot more people here who shared that line of thinking. It was one of the things that I liked about the site. Now, it seems like there are more of the "It's all good. Let's play nice and respect each other's training" crowd here.

Come to the Krav Maga thread.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/06/2013 4:13pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DKJr View Post
    Well uh duh.
    Shhhhhh he thought it up by himself; it's "new."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/06/2013 4:25pm

Style: 1 technique 1000 times

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But if you square up to your opponent you leave yourself open for the dirtiest of dirty fighting techniques: the nut shot.

Krotty: 1
    Cuddles: 0

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    10/06/2013 4:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    I agree with you Cuddles, but your ideas aren't new. Interestingly, when I started posting here way back when there seemed to be a lot more people here who shared that line of thinking. It was one of the things that I liked about the site. Now, it seems like there are more of the "It's all good. Let's play nice and respect each other's training" crowd here.

Come to the Krav Maga thread.

I would explain to more people why their karate or Krav is stupid but I don't have the time or the crayons.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    10/06/2013 4:35pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DKJr View Post
    I would explain to more people why their karate or Krav is stupid but I don't have the time or the crayons.
    Probably for the best anyway. They don't get it even when written in crayon.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast