232564 Bullies, 3976 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

ORNYTHORINQUE!... BOIT-SANS-SOIF!... BACHI-BOUZOUK!

Posted On:
    10/07/2013 5:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Determined to recover and checking in. I'm leaving for physio in fifteen minutes and taking an hour out of my morning tomorrow to spin and do chin ups. How's the pool Ike?

Quote Originally Posted by Mister View Post
    How did you guys tear your menisci and/or ACL?
    At the gym with a cold trying to beat my squat max. Wasn't strong enough to maintain form and rotational force was applied to my knee joint.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2013 6:22pm

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cap View Post
    At the gym with a cold trying to beat my squat max. Wasn't strong enough to maintain form and rotational force was applied to my knee joint.
    Damn, I always thought squatting was safe.

ORNYTHORINQUE!... BOIT-SANS-SOIF!... BACHI-BOUZOUK!

Posted On:
    10/08/2013 2:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn, I always thought squatting was safe.
    It still is. There's inherent risk to any physical activity, but less so in squatting than in many others. I had too much weight on my back for my condition and no spotter that day.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2013 7:27pm

Style: Shotokan & BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry man. Unfortunately, we all have our athletic expiration dates. I hope I'm wrong, but I figure I have a couple more years left to do BJJ. My neck and back aren't feeling so great anymore after a few decades of punishment and I hurt significantly (not in a good muscle soreness way either) after training.

I've seen people go a few different ways when facing the end of their martial arts/athletic careers depending on their circumstances. Some switch arts, cut way down on the training in terms of frequency or intensity, and others find a peripheral way to be involved (coach, do administrative things, etc.). For me, I'll probably make a clean break. The intensity and exertion has always been the fun part and anything less will just remind me of what I'm not doing.

At that point, I'll just have to find something else to fill my time with. I probably should be devoting more time to career development and getting some professional certifications. The wife and I have talked about designing and building a house somewhere a bit more rural.

Posted On:
    10/09/2013 9:21am

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How did you guys tear your menisci and/or ACL?

Just curious.
    I was sparring, full contact stick fighting. Every range from stick to grapling. I was about a minute into a round, mostly staying on the outside. But I came in to close and had to do a roofblock to avoid a stick to the head, my natural tendency after a roof block is to clench. So I clenched and then got a takedown ending in the half mount. The guy on the bottom put me in Eddie Bravo's "lockdown". But he wasn't trying to get out of it. I should have been content to stay there and do strikes, but I tried to move to the mount. My right leg was lockeddown around the calf. So I moved to a kind of knee on belly position, which I have used in the past. It puts a lot of pressure on your rib cage so usually you release the lockdown position and try to scramble into full guard. So I did that, but he bridged a little bit. So I leaned to the right to keep from being swept. As I did that I twisted my leg a little more than I should and I heard a loud POP! Then lost strength in my leg. The result was fully torn ACL and meniscus. I got an ACL reconstruction and 2/3rds of my meniscus taken out. Also ended with a defect in my medial femoral condyle. My work was done at the Andrews Institute.

Now I have also develped Plantar Fasciitis in my foot on the other leg. Fun!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    10/10/2013 9:10pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Feel your pain. I've been out of training for 3 months with a ruptured disk with no sign of recovery. Haven't been good company to be around.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    10/11/2013 11:27am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    Feel your pain. I've been out of training for 3 months with a ruptured disk with no sign of recovery. Haven't been good company to be around.
    That's one of the big downers regarding lengthy injuries.

One can really get pissed at oneself--and sometimes unintentionally at others. This happens when one has time to stew. Forced-leisure sucks beyond belief, particularly when imposed on active individuals.

Anyone in this position had best not give him- or herself that kind of time. People who are recovering need to find something (even something brand-new) to learn, do, or otherwise occupy the hours. Anything at all which doesn't affect the healing process, but allows one to think of something other than one's condition.

It's a matter of mental health as well as physical health and--as we all know--the two are very much interlinked.

Posted On:
    10/13/2013 9:04pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good advice. Would have been great to read it before my injury.

My 5 year relationship fell apart on the weekend. I'd say my depressed state probably had a lot to so with it.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12