Posted On:
    10/07/2013 1:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    What no posive reenforcement?

Dropping people on their head is good. Knee ride for four minutes and forty nine seconds worked on me as well.
    Negative reinforcement works on some people. Pussified mma wannabe college students, maybe not so much. But it does have it's place.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    10/07/2013 1:53pm

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Negative reinforcement works on some people. Pussified mma wannabe college students, maybe not so much. But it does have it's place.
    To train effectively you have to be at a certain place at a certain time doing things that are uncomfortable.

There is no getting around that in martial arts.

positivly reinforce effort. positive reinforcement for people not getting technique. Getting toweled up in sparring.

Negitive reinforcement if someone just does not what to do what is vital to the sucess of the system you are teaching.

I am not a fan of gym culture where the instructor is constantly fighting his students.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/07/2013 2:11pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Positive Reinforcement:

After you drop them on their head the third time. "Good job, I think you're finally figuring out that your takedown defense sucks and maybe you should get off you're fucking ass and start working it more instead of pretending you're sparring; when in actuality you look like you're on the kindergarten play ground learning to play patty cake while wearing fucking gloves."

Something like that?

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    10/07/2013 6:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Positive Reinforcement:

After you drop them on their head the third time. "Good job, I think you're finally figuring out that your takedown defense sucks and maybe you should get off you're fucking ass and start working it more instead of pretending you're sparring; when in actuality you look like you're on the kindergarten play ground learning to play patty cake while wearing fucking gloves."

Something like that?
    There you go, oh Master of Pedogogy ! Perfect ! So what do you do with the adults in your classes?
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    10/07/2013 9:31pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If it were me running the show I would do less sparring/rolling and more drills and then you can structure it as you see fit. The amount beginners learn sparring with other beginners is limited. If you want to incorporate more free-form practice use a focused drill, ie start in X position, use Y technique to accomplish some goal against your resisting partner.

If they are to spar/roll it would be better if you could match up beginner with instructor or advanced student but I realize this is unlikely in your setting.

Posted On:
    10/08/2013 10:40am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well Omega already beat me to it. But **** it, don't tell them show them. Show them why they need to know how to grapple, show them the folly of snuffing it off.
    Sparring as everything goes and you get on in there and take people down at will and **** them up on the ground.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/09/2013 1:07am

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know getting pinned repeatedly by someone smaller but more skilled than me made me work really hard on my ground work, and getting countered repeatedly when trying to muscle my throws made me work on technique over power. So I imagine that, if it is an option, going out and blanketing the guys who need to work on their grappling (which sounds like everyone) during full MMA sparring would probably make them realize they suck at it... or they will quit and join a kickboxing gym.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/06/2013 6:20pm

Style: MARS, Shooto

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can always just grab a student and initiate a grappling exchange. Force them to roll by (good naturedly-ish) attacking them.

Also, the "start in x position and use Y technique" thing.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123