Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/25/2013 1:28pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    As far as useless **** goes, I was referring to things are a luxury such as iPhones. My paper comment was a joke, someone tell IIF about sarcasm.
    When you understand inference and inductive reasoning you can complain about sarcasm. Just so you know, you won't understand, your quote reinforces my point. Not only did you agree with my point, you actually undermined your alleged "joke" and sarcasm.

To help your dumbass, paper and "luxury item" are basically the same point in your shitty argument.

Posted On:
    11/06/2013 8:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Before you go around talking about how "Evil" companies are as they opperate in 3rd world countries you may want to actually read what the workers that work in those factories have to actually say about it.
    Here is a good place to start
    http://web1.calbaptist.edu/dskubik/nike_rpt.pdf
    70% of Nike factory workers in Thailand rated their supervisors as good and 72% thought their income was fair. In Vietnam, most workers "thought the factory was a 'good place to work' and planned to continue at least three years" and 85 percent felt safe there. Further, they felt that the factory offered a more stable career and higher income than farmwork.

It does seem that companies do try to make sure that their workers are happy.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/2370216

Messages for help don’t always come in bottles. Sometimes they come hidden in the packaging of cheap Halloween decorations.

Julie Keith of Damascus, Oregon was shocked to find a handwritten letter apparently from an inmate at a Chinese labor camp pleading for help when she opened a pack of year-old Halloween decorations from Kmart, The Oregonian reports.

“If you occasionally buy this product, please kindly resend this letter to the World Human Right Organization,” the letter, which Keith posted to Facebook, begins. It goes on to detail the harsh working conditions at a labor camp in Shenyang, China, and the description matches those common to what are officially known as re-education through labor camps in China, Sophie Richardson, China director at Human Rights Watch, told The Oregonian.

(Scroll down to see the letter in its entirety)

Kmart released a statement saying the company is looking into the matter, according to Fox News:

"Sears Holdings has a Global Compliance Program which helps to ensure that vendors and factories producing merchandise for our company adhere to specific Program Requirements, and all local laws pertaining to employment standards and workplace practices. Failure to comply with any of the Program Requirements, including the use of forced labor, may result in a loss of business or factory termination. We understand the seriousness of this allegation, and will continue to investigate."

Calls to abolish such camps have recently increased as inmates are often taken to the camps for minor offenses and held there without trial, the New York Times reports. And not just a few of them. “Petty thieves and prostitutes to drug abusers” count among the 190,000 people put into China’s labor camps in 2009 United Nations estimates, according to CNN.

Working conditions at Chinese factories in general have gained increased media scrutiny, in part thanks to actions taken by those working there. In October, thousands of workers at Foxconn, which makes products for Apple and Samsung, among others, went on strike over poor work conditions. In 2010, a series of worker suicides at Foxconn led to stricter compliance with Chinese labor laws at the factories.

:)

Posted On:
    11/06/2013 9:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    So take your self righteous attitude and go some place where as an American visitor you get flocked by children begging for money or trying to sell you trinkets and gum or try and take your wallet. Go and see REAL poverty, the type of poverty where a family actually runs the risk of starving to death. REAL poverty where kids are put to work.
    The 1938 Fair Labor Standards Act regulated age/hours, in the US. That's an old argument to dig up, don't you think?

I mean, if you need convincing that kids working in factories, in an unregulated manner is a bad thing..I dunno...that's pretty weird I think. Are you sure you've thought this through properly?
Page 75 of 75 FirstFirst ... 25657172737475