Page 73 of 75 FirstFirst ... 23636970717273 7475 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/24/2013 5:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Before you go around talking about how "Evil" companies are as they opperate in 3rd world countries you may want to actually read what the workers that work in those factories have to actually say about it.
    Here is a good place to start
    http://web1.calbaptist.edu/dskubik/nike_rpt.pdf
    70% of Nike factory workers in Thailand rated their supervisors as good and 72% thought their income was fair. In Vietnam, most workers "thought the factory was a 'good place to work' and planned to continue at least three years" and 85 percent felt safe there. Further, they felt that the factory offered a more stable career and higher income than farmwork.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/24/2013 5:52pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually goodlun is right on this one. First of all the situation in China has improved a lot in the recent years. I wouldn�t even call it a low wage country. The real horrible things, with the child labor happen in Bangladesh. Low wages are not even that much of a point for a company to produce in China. At least not as much a some might think. There is infrastructure, logistic oh and when you need some special electronic parts the company that produces them is just nearby. If you knew a bit about China, you would know that the Chinese government under Deng explicitly wanted to get foreign investors into China to get the know how and improve the economy. And it worked out great, as we can see. I don�t see anything wrong with an international company taking advantage of low wages or other regional benefits, especially when they pay above average. (Which means they are better(!!) than the average jobs). These kind of investments can help to improve the economy and drive the wages higher in the end. So no Apple ain�t no evil.

The discussion about people buying useless **** needs to be a discussion about marketing.

The other discussion about the child labor is more interesting. On could argue that the import of products produced by child labor should be banned. If the poor country has a functional government that offers free schooling, this can be a good thing but on the other hand you remove a source of income for the population. For the developed country (lets take USA) that would have the benefit of protecting the economy at home from such "unfair" wages. Don't have an clear opinion on the issue yet but is worth discussing.

Oh and someone said the problem with the US would be the lower wages. That is bullshit. The cost of products can fall through higher productivity so you can afford more with the same wage, anyway.

The big problem that we need to speak about is this:

Cumulative Current Account Balance

See if some country imports more stuff that it exports or the other way round, stuff is not exactly sustainable.
    Last edited by killface; 10/24/2013 5:56pm at .

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    10/24/2013 7:15pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    If am I doing any sort of design work that involves RF **** doing it on paper. **** doing it with a calculator even. The filter design polynomal equations with orders up to and around 50 that we are dealing with I want nothing short of Matlab when doing filter design. That **** is some complex calculus that is simply impractical to do by hand. What I can do in an hour on Matlab would take me a week to work out by hand, and if you if you make one simple freaking math mistake which is easy to do when staring at the same problem for hours on end. Something isn't going to work right. Depending on the mistake it can cause the whole thing to not work right or it can be a minor performance curve issue.
    That ain't real work. That's pretend work on a toy. It's not real work unless you're using a stone wheel and bone hammer.

Posted On:
    10/25/2013 9:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Before you go around talking about how "Evil" companies are as they opperate in 3rd world countries you may want to actually read what the workers that work in those factories have to actually say about it.
    70% of Nike factory workers in Thailand rated their supervisors as good and 72% thought their income was fair. In Vietnam, most workers "thought the factory was a 'good place to work' and planned to continue at least three years" and 85 percent felt safe there. Further, they felt that the factory offered a more stable career and higher income than farmwork.
    I believe they call that cherry picking.

Posted On:
    10/25/2013 9:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    That ain't real work. That's pretend work on a toy. It's not real work unless you're using a stone wheel and bone hammer.
    Finally we agree. For those of you that are retarded yes that's sarcasm. Who said making toys wasn't real work??

Posted On:
    10/25/2013 9:21am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    No. You constantly talk out of your ass. When people get the toilet paper, to clean up your dumb ****, you blame them for the mess.

Do you EVER get tired of the "it was a joke" when your bullshit goes sideways? This is rhetorical because the answer is "no."
    The only points I referred to as jokes were the ones that obviously were. How is my bullshit going sideways?? It went exactly where I expected it to go. If some idiot wants to take one word out of my post and take it too literal I'm all to happy to follow their lead. The part about child labor I will continue to disagree on no matter what shine they try to add to that turd.

Posted On:
    10/25/2013 9:43am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    You do realize that a child forced to work by their family will be forced to work by their family whether or not Nike has a factory there, right?

The condition was "useless ****", not "necessity". Hell, there was a time when paper was a luxury (and may become one again as everything becomes more digital).
    You do realize that it is referred to as "exploitation" right?? To say "well their lives suck anyway no reason we can't profit off of their pain" is still pretty fucking evil.

As far as useless **** goes, I was referring to things are a luxury such as iPhones. My paper comment was a joke, someone tell IIF about sarcasm.

Posted On:
    10/25/2013 9:57am

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You guys are weird.

Talking about child labor while Scarborough is taking real mesures to save the USA from collapse.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4124195.html

Posted On:
    10/25/2013 10:06am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In partnership with Atma Jaya Catholic University and
    Nike Inc. Yes that's just about as unbiased as a report can get. There's a call on line one for you it's the Koch brothers.

Posted On:
    10/25/2013 10:10am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    You do realize that it is referred to as "exploitation" right?? To say "well their lives suck anyway no reason we can't profit off of their pain" is still pretty fucking evil.

As far as useless **** goes, I was referring to things are a luxury such as iPhones. My paper comment was a joke, someone tell IIF about sarcasm.
    Not all profit is exploitation. The problem here is you have an informed opinion on a matter and are all emotional oh think of the children.
    So lets lay down what happens.
    A Western company goes into a 3rd world country because the labor is cheaper. Now since the labor is so cheap cents and hour what they typically do is pay 2 times the going rate to get the creme of the crop. What this actually does is begin to eliminate child labor. Thats right all of a sudden families are now making enough money that they don't have to have their children working as well. Not only that but foreign capital is flowing in so they can participate on the world market having greater access to goods and services. The whole communities economy improves. It brings them out of a type of poverty I can only assume you have never seen with your own eyes.

Wages continue to rise in fact they rise to the point where the company needs to move on to the next shithole to start the process all over. Leaving behind a community that can actually feed its people.

So take your self righteous attitude and go some place where as an American visitor you get flocked by children begging for money or trying to sell you trinkets and gum or try and take your wallet. Go and see REAL poverty, the type of poverty where a family actually runs the risk of starving to death. REAL poverty where kids are put to work.

BTW before you say I am cherry picking where is your evidence of said evil?