223525 Bullies, 4388 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

1. 9
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Is Water Cycling the Way of the Future?

Is Water Cycling the Way of the Future? Find out more with this article!

Can cycling in a bubble bath banish your cellulite? FEMAIL tries out the latest trend in aqua-fitness

- The Hydrofit is like riding a bike in a Jacuzzi
    - Initially relaxing, it's actually a deceptively intense workout
    - Sessions don't come cheap - but it's better than being stuck in a spin class

Water workout: Nicole tries the Hydrofit

Try to imagine a Jacuzzi crossed with a bicycle and you'll have some idea of what Hydrofit, the latest trend in aqua-fitness, is all about.

Pitched as the perfect exercise for anyone - especially those whose joints can't handle hitting the treadmill - a leisurely spin on a bubble-bath bike sounds so much more like a spa treatment than a gruelling fitness class that I couldn't put my name down fast enough.

If you're familiar with spinning - indoor cycling classes on exercise bikes, where instructors bark orders over deafening car alarm-style music - you'll know that cycling is hugely effective when it comes to improving cardiovascular fitness and burning calories (on average, 450 of them in 45 minutes).

'As the doctors watched their patients use it, they noticed an unexpected side-effect,' says Delphine. 'Patients' skin tone improved. Their cellulite disappeared. It was really amazing.'

Before long, the Aqua Bike - as it is known in France - was made available as a commercial product and 85 drop-in studios have sprung up on French high streets since its launch there three years ago.

Now, thousands of notoriously svelte French women credit the machines with improving the tone of their legs, burning calories, improving cardiovascular fitness, eliminating water retention and puffiness, boosting circulation and even eliminating cellulite.

'Generally, women do not want big legs,' she says. 'And as 90 per cent of our clients are women, we normally set the bicycle's resistance quite low. We want long, lean muscles and smooth toned skin. These bikes can give you all that.'

Full article link.

Bubbles help circulation?

Looks like it could be a good start in rehabilitation but after you should go for something more challenging.

What do you guys think?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2013 4:32pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would think its just the warm water that improves circulation, but I don't know for sure.

I am sure its fine for rehab or the "just need to do SOMETHING" sort of exerciser, but I find that the more I learn about training seriously, the more "its so easy!" usually means "its not worth doing!".

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    10/01/2013 7:35am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Two points of the article that caught my attention:

... there actually are coloured lights in the water.

Chromatherapy (colour therapy) is another of feature of Hydrofit. It's based on the theory that the seven colours of the rainbow relate to the body's seven internal chakras and we are all drawn to the colour that balances our mental state.
    Ehrm, OK. Thankfully, the author was dismissive of this point.

More importantly:
    'Traditional spin classes can be hard on the ankles and the knees,' says Delphine. 'Some people also feel lower back twinges, as it's easy to have poor posture on the bikes - especially when doing high resistance work.

'But the cushioning effects of the water minimise this in Hydrofit, meaning it's suitable for more people than standard spinning.'
    I guess maybe buoyancy has something to do with this, but my gut tells me that masking the pain that comes with doing an exercise improperly is probably a bad thing.