Posted On:
    10/05/2013 7:35am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ignorami View Post
    you don't fight in the squat rack.
    What if some douche is doing curls in there though?
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.

Posted On:
    10/05/2013 7:58am

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    What if some douche is doing curls in there though?
    That's ok. It's not fighting, it's percussive eugenics.

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2013 3:23pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlMatt View Post
    This is what Tomiki tried to do with Shodokan Aikido. He was a legitimate expert in both aikido and judo. The trouble is, as I and others have already said, that training aikido techniques live really only proves that aikido's complex wrist-locking doesn't work live -- which is why Shodokan randori often looks more like judo than aikido.
    I happened to see this on the BBC website today which seems to be other attempt to mix Classical Martial Arts this time Ju-Jitsu. I would be interested to see how the competitors get on against Judo players.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24409961

Posted On:
    10/05/2013 3:35pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickosaurus View Post
    I happened to see this on the BBC website today which seems to be other attempt to mix Classical Martial Arts this time Ju-Jitsu. I would be interested to see how the competitors get on against Judo players.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24409961
    Looks like typical sport JuJitsu. Light contact, and you stop hitting once you get grips, then resumes once on the ground. I would imagine that a Judoka in particular a competitive one would walk right through most of them.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2013 4:22pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    I would imagine that a Judoka in particular a competitive one would walk right through most of them.
    I suppose it would come down a little to the individuals but on the whole I would guess they spend a lot of time doing flashy extra they can't use during matches while Judo players especially competition players only really practices for Randori/Competition

Had a friend who did "Jitsu" (link to the discussion of the organisation here http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24417) He did something they called Randori Nationals and he seemed to do pretty well in those trained with him a few times. Can't say I rated his Judo skills, nice lad mind

Posted On:
    10/05/2013 4:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickosaurus View Post
    I suppose it would come down a little to the individuals but on the whole I would guess they spend a lot of time doing flashy extra they can't use during matches while Judo players especially competition players only really practices for Randori/Competition

Had a friend who did "Jitsu" (link to the discussion of the organisation here http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=24417) He did something they called Randori Nationals and he seemed to do pretty well in those trained with him a few times. Can't say I rated his Judo skills, nice lad mind
    Its not even the flashy extras. Even the striking in Sport JJ is extra. Especially with it being light contact. The Judoka can wade in take a few hits get grips and be into his element. The fight is now a Judo fight.

Posted On:
    10/06/2013 4:38pm

Style: Humbleness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hungryjoe View Post
    I had, many years back, the opportunity to practice knife entry defense with some relatively high level former FMA trained akidoka.

These classes separated the 'wheat from the chafe' type technique methodology. While a given move may work in an ideal setting, defense against a Sharpe told the tale.

Attachment 15457

disclaimer

I am a lowly shodan in aikido.
    I have always wondered about the sharpie knife training

What about the marks done by it? or it must done with the upper torso bared?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/06/2013 9:08pm

Style: Wrestle, Kickbox, Aikido

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RurikGreenwulf View Post
    I have always wondered about the sharpie knife training

What about the marks done by it? or it must done with the upper torso bared?
    Hmm, we may be talking about different things...in my classes we learned 8 ways to kill a full grown attacker with a sharpie marker. Of course these techniques are too dangerous to practice for real...we practice the techniques substituting tanto, box cutters, and homemade shanks...

Posted On:
    10/06/2013 9:25pm

Style: Humbleness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keslet View Post
    Hmm, we may be talking about different things...in my classes we learned 8 ways to kill a full grown attacker with a sharpie marker. Of course these techniques are too dangerous to practice for real...we practice the techniques substituting tanto, box cutters, and homemade shanks...
    Sorry I meant you are ruining your t-shirt, hakama or whatever with all the stab marks of the sharpie.

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/06/2013 9:30pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I mentioned this thread to our gym's Aikido instructor. He said that's not what the wristlocks are for and concurred with me. Just saying.
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 789 LastLast