Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2013 3:10pm

Style: Muay Thai/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you type 'aikido sparring' into YouTube somewhere down the list is a Japanese dojo with video of a couple of guys sparring. Sorry I'd link it but I'm out of the country and stuck using my phone.

Anyway they seem to get around the gloves by not punching to the face. It's kind of like really really terrible kyokoshin with some wrist grabs and throw attempts the look like really really terrible judo...

So I guess it looks like really really terrible kudo.

Personally I think you should heed omega's advice, But... If you're dead set on sparring aikido style maybe those would be the guys to emulate.

Posted On:
    9/30/2013 3:27pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is it a fact that aikido was created for specific use against an armed attacker? I've heard this theory thrown around but I have some questions. I don't read up on much aikido but I thought it came about relatively recently well after the armored samurai had become obselete by Ueshebia (spelling?) as a philosophy for self defense. It is my understanding that founder of aikido and most of it's first generation were already experienced martial artists who had the foundation and ability to adapt their knowledge to a specific set of principles.

if i'm on the right path with my thinking here aikido would best be used by experienced grapplers and martial artists who already know how to manipulate a persons center of gravity.

Posted On:
    9/30/2013 4:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know what I will go ahead and adress some of your specific questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeplin View Post
    The first problem is you can't really wear thick gloves. Not only would it become increasingly difficult with gloves to use some techniques, but they would also become increasingly more difficult to apply.
    There are other alive arts that largely eschew striking. That being said A Kudo Space helmet and MMA style gloves or Kudo gloves could be used. They allow for wrist locks.

Since Aikido places a lot of weight on wrist locks, and joint manipulation centred around the wrist, how would you go about fixing this?
    There are 67 throws in Judo that don't require the use of the wrist lock. They all can be applied with an "Aiki" mind set.

The second problem is throws centred, again, around wrist locks. For me, I'm a graphic designer, the mobility of my wrists are pretty important to my job. I can deal with getting a bruised arm, or black eye, but I can't deal with a sprained wrist. The locks themselves could, of course, just be applied in the same way you do with BJJ - the guy taps out before **** gets serious. But what about the throws? You can't really go easy on a throw - if you do, the guy doesn't get thrown. You can't "build up the pressure", so to speak - it's throw or not throw. And I just personally see that as a bit of a problem, when a full powerful throw, powered by a wrist lock, could have some serious joint-problems.
    Its hard to actually throw someone with a joint lock they are hard to actually lock up wiht out having the ground to limit certain planes of motion. That being said even with a successful one your not going to destroy the joint most of the time. Now that is not to say accidents aren't going to happen but your looking at minor stuff mostly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2013 4:50pm

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    9/30/2013 5:22pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's with the hat grabbing? Are they training to fight Hedgehogey?

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/30/2013 5:27pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Probably to to teach them to protect their head.

Posted On:
    9/30/2013 5:37pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Was that a black belt vs a white belt!?

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/30/2013 5:43pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, to be fair, he didn't perform to blackbelt level.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2013 5:56pm

Style: Injured

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some schools of Aikido only have white and black belts, nothing in between, he could be an upper Kyu or some ****.

Posted On:
    9/30/2013 5:57pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Well, to be fair, he didn't perform to blackbelt level.
    That really is the root of my concearn. I think one would be hard pressed to find a video of a Judo white belt vs a green belt or a BJJ white belt vs a Purple belt where the difference in skill wouldn't be apperant. Given of course the white belts didn't have other applicable training ie a Sambo guy.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast