Administrator

Posted On:
    10/01/2013 2:19pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sovvolf View Post
    Can never be too sure. Mayhaps I'm in a defensive mode about it. The amount of times I see people get called idiots for training in anything but MT, gets a bit annoying. Sometimes feel like you have to justify yourself for training anything but...
    Funny, it gets annoying watching people complain about how their art isn't respected. Then you read the OP and realize most of those threads, where this happens, start with "I love <insert art> it is deadly blah blah blah blah blah..... sport vs street and the real....." Then the defensive justification hilariously ensues.

Nope, that isn't your OP, it is really about the presentation.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/01/2013 3:39pm

Style: Kickboxing, LGKF, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Funny, it gets annoying watching people complain about how their art isn't respected. Then you read the OP and realize most of those threads, where this happens, start with "I love <insert art> it is deadly blah blah blah blah blah..... sport vs street and the real....." Then the defensive justification hilariously ensues.

Guess you won't see that here, least from me, cause I find the whole sports versus street argument stupid and I don't care how "Deadly" Karate is or how it works in teh real. Don't intend on getting into pointless fights in da street and I'm not the paranoid sort who thinks everyone around me is going to mug and kill me.

Most Teh deadly street fighters are insecure pricks or drunks, don't see how never training a day in your life some how gives you an advantage over someone who actively trains any martial art.

I'm not here to say who's martial arts sucks or not or argue if or why Karate is or isn't better than Muay Thai or any other martial art. I just enjoy Karate, I find it fun and interesting, enjoy the gi's and the rankings. It's also something I can enjoy with my family and include my girlfriend in one of my hobbies while getting my niece out of the house. Keeping us all fit and active while the belt system gives us a goal to focus on and a sense of progression.

Just wanted to maybe do something in the week while I'm away from home and my local gym that complimented my style at home and kept me going. As it stands from today though, since moving to different diggs in this area due to a mix up, I'm about a 2 hour walk away from either Shukokai gym so I can't see this style being plausible to train.

Oh well was worth asking but I do apologies for wasting your time. Thanks anyway.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/13/2013 7:53pm

Style: BJJ, Wrestling, Muay Thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a bit late to this thread, but I train Shukokai in the UK. I'm first Kyu at the moment, hoping to take my 1st Dan test next month.

At our club we do kata, line work, pad work and sparring. Competition sparring is tippy tappy point stuff, which I hate, but the sparring in class is continuous sparring - full contact to the body and touch contact to the face. What this means for me is that I don't fear being punched in the face, but have a serious respect for body shots - I'm sure that'll end well if I ever get in a fight :) (I plan to cross train in the new year to get out of that!).

We (and I gather that this means "the entire style" we, not just the local club) put a ton of emphasis on pad work. That's refreshing compared to most other styles in my area, that just punch the air hour after hour.

Sparring varies from club to club, even within the organization. The classes with a lot of kids rarely spar, but there are some clubs that devote entire lessons to it. There are a lot of Kata to learn to get up the belts, but it's a case of "learn the moves in a few lessons then get back to doing the important stuff - like hitting pads".

I think that Shukokai, if it's trained alive, is a good style. I want to cross train something that does competitions at a better contact level, so I took a trial lesson in Muay Thai at my local BJJ place recently, and while the footwork is completely different I got complemented on the power of my punches to the pads and on the bag, so all that pad work must have paid off.

I hope you enjoy your training.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/14/2013 1:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The style sounds a fairly fun style to learn. It's a shame that wear I'm currently staying in Birmingham is a little too far away from the nearest gym. Otherwise I'd be sold on the style. Like I said, I'm not in it for what is and isn't practical, just for the fun. I enjoy Karate. The style I'm doing back up in Barnsley seems to boycott kata. Been going for over a month and I've not seen a single kata performed or practice. It tends to be just pad work and sparring. Which I like to be honest.

I enjoy sparring in the style of Karate. As hard contact as I can get. Which, given that this city (as far as I know) doesn't have Kyokushin, brought me to Shukokai. However as stated. It's too far out the way to train there.

Posted On:
    10/15/2013 2:19pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post

Naively, I used to think applying a commonsense answer to this complaint would suffice.

I would say: "In your opinion, does your training--whatever it is--fulfill the objective for which you began it?

If it does not, it cannot be defended, on a forum or anywhere else.

If it does, then why do you care what anyone else thinks of it, on a forum or anywhere else?"

I finally woke up to the truth that what the complainers really feel is under attack, when others question the validity of their training, is their ability to choose well--which is a function of intelligence. Nobody wants to be called stupid, and so the self-justification begins.

Some may, at some point, begin to question their choice, and there lies the possible journey to more effective training.

Others will just dig in their heels, allowing ego to stifle positive development. One might pity them, perhaps, but why waste time on them otherwise?

Posted On:
    10/16/2013 1:11am

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My experience with Shukokai karate was that it had a lot of kata (like, 40 to 60 total, and over 10 for black belt) and was definitely not full-contact.

If you want karate, you want karate. Maybe this school does pad work or maybe they drill kata all class. Maybe their sparring is full contact with just a mouthguard or maybe it's no contact with ten pounds of padding.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

Posted On:
    10/18/2013 2:50pm

Style: JKD & Mok'bara

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it depends very much on the school. I trained under Lee Coffey in Hyde as my very first ever instructor. Kata and kihon were emphasized, but there was a LOT of padwork/powerwork and kumite too. Kumite was continuous basis and point and contact was not exactly soft.

Some nice examples of the system. It's still a wee bit rigid for my tastes these days, but I still retain a lot of my old moves

Peter Consterdine is arguably one of the more famous exponents of the system, although he has obviously modified what he does for a specifc arena. The "double hip" is lifted almost entirely from Shukokai.

Shigeru Kimura was big one for hitting hard - I would have liked to have crossed paths with him, but sadly that can never happen

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2013 5:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    Naively, I used to think applying a commonsense answer to this complaint would suffice.

I would say:[I] "In your opinion, does your training--whatever it is--fulfill the objective for which you began it?
    Not sure if this is aimed at me or not but. Yes the training does fulfill the objective I began it for. I wanted to do karate cause it's a style I've always wanted to do and a style I've enjoyed doing.

As for the defensive thing. I set about making a thread asking about a style of karate I'd like to know more about. About two comments in, I get asked why I don't train Muay Thai? Don't you think I'd find that a little annoying?...

I can't make a blooming threat in the Japanese section of the traditional martial arts section regarding Karate, without getting Muay Thai shoved at me? Yes I concede that Muay Thai is probably the best, most well rounded stand up style. But I'm not bothered about training it. I train Karate and enjoy Karate.

Though as IiF states, it probably gets annoying when you get idiots starting a shouting match on "My martial arts is the deadliest" I didn't nor do I intend to do that. I just seeked information and a style of Karate I was interested in.

Should I really have to justify myself more than "I do it cause I enjoy it?"
    Well maybe lets leave this be and concentrate more on the style that the thread was started for. Not about which martial art is better or worse.

If this is not aimed at me, then I apologise in advance to my over reaction. Though I hope you understand where I'm coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanniballistic View Post
    I think it depends very much on the school. I trained under Lee Coffey in Hyde as my very first ever instructor. Kata and kihon were emphasized, but there was a LOT of padwork/powerwork and kumite too. Kumite was continuous basis and point and contact was not exactly soft.

Some nice examples of the system. It's still a wee bit rigid for my tastes these days, but I still retain a lot of my old moves

Nice video, really enjoyed that sweep near the end. Maybe I can work it in to my style... The style seems to have some really powerful strikes and it's a pity I can't train the style. Don't mind the kata so much, though I prefer a larger focus on padwork and sparring but it looks like good Karate.

Posted On:
    10/19/2013 1:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sovvolf View Post
    Not sure if this is aimed at me or not but. Yes the training does fulfill the objective I began it for. I wanted to do karate cause it's a style I've always wanted to do and a style I've enjoyed doing.
    Then you will know whether or not my post was aimed at you...other than by, perhaps my explicitly naming you, which I didn't. What I believe I was addressing was a well-established pattern here on BSD. If you were following that pattern, my post was aimed in part at you. If you weren't, it wasn't.

As for the defensive thing. I set about making a thread asking about a style of karate I'd like to know more about. About two comments in, I get asked why I don't train Muay Thai? Don't you think I'd find that a little annoying?
    That would depend on how easily you are annoyed by online posts.

I can't make a blooming threat in the Japanese section of the traditional martial arts section regarding Karate, without getting Muay Thai shoved at me?
    One supposes you can. I have, on numerous occasions, and MT wasn't "shoved at" me--or if it was, *little hint here* I didn't notice.

I train Karate and enjoy Karate.
    As do I. If Karate serves your purposes, and anyone "shoves" another MA at you online, you needn't pay any attention if you don't wish to. Pretty complicated, huh?

Should I really have to justify myself more than "I do it cause I enjoy it?"
    My point was exactly that: no, you needn't.

If this is not aimed at me, then I apologise in advance to my over reaction.
    There is nothing, about online postings (over-reactive or otherwise), that require an apology. It's all just ones and zeros.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/19/2013 1:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    That would depend on how easily you are annoyed by online posts.
    Admittedly more than it really should, think young grasshopper here still needs to learn a little patience... Shove is probably a strong word. Reflecting on it, it wasn't pushed on me so much and the follow up reply wasn't the whole "Well you're a retard and Karate is for wimps" that I'd expected from comments read on the internet these days.

I disagree on the ones and zeroes part but that's another debate for another date and rather not derail my own train. Thanks for posting and the clarification and good luck with your Karate training.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast