Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Manhattan Beach, California, United States

Posted On:
    10/04/2013 12:44pm

Style: Muay Thai, Judo, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.HoneyBadger View Post
    Yes, I heard about that. That was before I had started training, and I felt like it wouldn't be appropriate for me to show up knowing nothing about combat sports.

I had contacted him since I live in the area and asked him if they taught SAMBO there, and he told me that what they taught there was what he called "Freestyle Jiu Jitsu", and it mixed together jiu jitsu, wrestling, and judo.

The outside of the building says "L.A. Budo and Yoga", however my mom went in there one day and asked when the yoga classes were and he said that they didn't teach yoga, it just came with the sign. She said it was messy in there as well, so all in all I was kind of put off by the place.

I should have gone in to check it out myself, but I had already found the place I train at now by that time.
    It is not that it came with the sign it is We had Yoga our very first year thus the logo then Martial Arts and Yoga. The city of Manhattan Beach government is a pain to deal with plus new signs are expensive.
    I am sorry she found it messy, It could have been either we we doing the kids belt testing week or I do a lot of renovations and maintenance during the day, before class time. Usually don't get a lot of walk ins.
    And we do compete at Gokor's tournaments (mostly kids). And as Omega said, we try to bring him down when we can. Though for the Nov. 2nd one I may have 3 or 4 adults competing.
    Last edited by shinbushi; 10/04/2013 12:47pm at . Reason: spelling and grammar

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2013 4:04pm

Style: Submitting Myself/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shinbushi View Post
    It is not that it came with the sign it is We had Yoga our very first year thus the logo then Martial Arts and Yoga. The city of Manhattan Beach government is a pain to deal with plus new signs are expensive.
    I am sorry she found it messy, It could have been either we we doing the kids belt testing week or I do a lot of renovations and maintenance during the day, before class time. Usually don't get a lot of walk ins.
    And we do compete at Gokor's tournaments (mostly kids). And as Omega said, we try to bring him down when we can. Though for the Nov. 2nd one I may have 3 or 4 adults competing.

O.K. that makes sense.

I hope I didn't offend you, I was just going off of what She told me, and I would have gone in myself if I hadn't already started training SanDa.

The messiness doesn't bother me at all, as I can't organize ****.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2013 4:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Talk to Beach Cities Martial Arts. If they're interested I'll help.
    Should I ask them about having you come down for a seminar, or ask them about including SAMBO or what?

Administrator

Posted On:
    10/04/2013 8:04pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've already talked to them, the ball is in your court.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/04/2013 8:26pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No not offended just replying as this is a public board that shows up a lot on Google.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2013 12:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    O.K. good.

I am actually interested in the grappling you guys have going on at L.A. Budo.

Was I correct that it was wrestling mixed with BJJ and Judo?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/05/2013 12:44am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    O.K. well I'll tell them I'm interested. I'll try to get the word around about SAMBO, what it is etc.

Thanks for the help. I'll let you know if they tell me anything of interest.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2013 12:08am

Style: Judo noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey, just getting back with you all after I finally had a chance to talk to my coach about the Sambo club in Beverly Hills. The practice out of the wrestling room at Beverly Hills high school I believe.

However, my coach also said that you are better off just joining us in Pasadena (especially at the Combat JuJitsu practices... which are basically combat Sambo by a different name), as apparently the coaches at Beverly Hills is not as experienced as my Judo coach is in Sambo. My Judo coach explained that he spent some years in Russia in the 80s training Sambo, and has some sort of International Coach/International Master of Sport rating from Russia to teach Sambo and was also on the US Sambo team at one point... I am still trying to figure out how to verify this.

If nothing else, I now know where I can get some Sambo training and there are a few places people who are interested in Sambo events might find participants.

edit: link to the BVH club
    http://www.dynamoclub.com/#!about/c66t
    Last edited by Krijgsman; 11/03/2013 12:16am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/03/2013 4:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Northern Orange County. 20 minute drive from South Bay on a good day. Just saying.
    More like 45 on an average day 2 hours on a bad day :-)

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/03/2013 4:44pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That website is annoying.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast