Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2013 2:04am

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

SAMBO in L..A. yet?

Hey Everyone.

Is there any info anyone might have about ANYBODY (Private classes, group classes, schools etc. so long as they know what their doing and aren't frauds) teaching SAMBO in the L.A. and L.A. South Bay area other than Gokor's and that one Gene Lebell Gym (I think it's Shatayana) ?

It seems like most SAMBO schools are in the east coast and in Europe. I wish it was more popular in the U.S. I think if their were more schools on the west coast, there are people willing to learn. (Including me, if it were close enough for a drive or bus)

Currently I'm taking SanDa and Catch Wrestling. I like the SanDa class. My coach trained in China where he did three hours of SanDa and three hours of Shuai Jao a day. I love throwing and it's like kickboxing with throwing, so it's great.

He also teaches Catch, and while I think he's a very good coach, I feel like the style is maybe not useful in competition outside of Catch (ex. MMA) I think SAMBO would be a great style to train in, but so far in my searching, there are no schools.

I'm not really interested in learning BJJ. I have nothing against the art, and I think that it is very effective, and probably the best ground grappling art.

Any help would be appreciated, and if no one has any info, that's cool too.

Thanks.

ORNYTHORINQUE!... BOIT-SANS-SOIF!... BACHI-BOUZOUK!

Posted On:
    9/28/2013 2:28am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Out of curiosity, why not Hayastan? Gene and Gokor are legends.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2013 3:59am

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know there is a SAMBO club linked to the Judo club I attend. They practice somewhere or another in L.A. They are legit enough that when they joined us for a practice one day, half of them needed a translator into Russian. I will try and ask where they practice out of and how to get a hold of them report back.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    9/28/2013 10:10am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I second Hayastan. Its a little drive from LA proper but if ts SAMBO you want, go there.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/28/2013 11:25am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go to the Reign Training Center. It's the other extreme but you can find this guy there:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2013 1:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wait... Reign is in LA (ish)? Thats awesome.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/28/2013 2:57pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Northern Orange County. 20 minute drive from South Bay on a good day. Just saying.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/28/2013 8:20pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the help guys.

Together, Sanda and Catch are, from what I've seen, similar to SAMBO (I'm sure there are differences I don't see) Sanda handles the striking and throwing, catch is submission wrestling for the ground.

I was just curious if there had been any development of new SAMBO gyms, coaches, schools, etc.

Again, thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by Krijgsman View Post
    I know there is a SAMBO club linked to the Judo club I attend. They practice somewhere or another in L.A. They are legit enough that when they joined us for a practice one day, half of them needed a translator into Russian. I will try and ask where they practice out of and how to get a hold of them report back.
    That info would be appreciated, Krij. Thanks.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/28/2013 10:16pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.HoneyBadger View Post
    Thanks for the help guys.

Together, Sanda and Catch are, from what I've seen, similar to SAMBO (I'm sure there are differences I don't see) Sanda handles the striking and throwing, catch is submission wrestling for the ground.

I was just curious if there had been any development of new SAMBO gyms, coaches, schools, etc.

Again, thanks for the info!

That info would be appreciated, Krij. Thanks.
    I guess I can see where you get the association. You wouldn't be too far off. Just add the Kurtka and it'll give you a better grasp.

I did a SAMBO seminar down in Manhattan Beach 2 months ago. The instructor there has worked with me and Gokor directly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2013 1:14am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    I guess I can see where you get the association. You wouldn't be too far off. Just add the Kurtka and it'll give you a better grasp.

I did a SAMBO seminar down in Manhattan Beach 2 months ago. The instructor there has worked with me and Gokor directly.
    That's a lovely area. Spent my recent anniversary there.

I want to say the club that is linked (loosely) is in Beverly Hills, but I should know for sure after I talk with my coach this week.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast