Achievements:
    3 months registered

Posted On:
    1/13/2014 1:06pm

Style: FMA/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    New 40 time: 5.86

This is a big disappointment. Pre-back injury, I was definitely running a bit faster. I'll give this another whirl soon, as I'm still in comeback mode from the injury and am just getting back into running.

I also want to recruit a better timer and use a better stopwatch. My wife was using a stopwatch app on her phone, and I don't have a ton of confidence in it's (or her) accuracy. For my first run, she told me "Nine seconds", which I argued with her most assuredly wasn't accurate. After that most of my runs were right around 5.9, which was terrible, but not ridiculously out of line. I found it pretty suspicious that my seventh run was my best at 5.86, as I was very tired by then.

Anyway, tryouts for the semi-pro team are this coming up weekend. I'm guessing they'll time me there and I'll get a more accurate number. If I am in the 5.8-ish range, it looks like I'll probably be playing line again if I make the team, as there's no way in hell that will be acceptable for a linebacker or tight end.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    3 months registered

Posted On:
    1/23/2014 3:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

When to max

So I tried out with the local semi-pro team, and was timed in the 40 at 5.8 flat. Not surprisingly, I did not make the cut with a time like that. As a slightly chubby 240 pounder, this was not too hot. There were guys on the team who looked about 6'4, 260, without an ounce of fat who were running sub 5.0's. They had some very impressive athletes on the team, for sure.

I took this as further inspiration. I'm still shooting for my combine goals, regardless of not making the team. My current focus will be on a bit of weight loss, and improvement in foot speed. I'll be continuing my lifting of course, and I've got some additional stats:

New bench max: 235

I then shot for 240, and failed. This was right at the end of my 6 week program,(and a few days after a hard football tryout) and I wasn't exactly feeling my best. I'm optimistic about doing better quite soon.

This brings me to my next question. At what phase do you guys like to max out/shoot for personal records? I was listening to some guys talking about deload, phase in, go heavy/max, ease back, deload again. What is your preference here?

It seems to make sense to do a couple week ramp up, max, then back off again and deload, but what do you all think? I've tended to grind myself a bit too much before maxing, and that probably isn't the best way to get good numbers. Any suggestions for achieving personal record?

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    1/23/2014 4:16pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What's the point of achieving the PR? If it's just ego then treat it like a meet: periodize your training with several weeks of high-volume/lower-intensity prep, then gradually increase intensity (weight) while decreasing volume, then rest a week, then bang out a PR. I've never really done that because it's not my thing but that's how I understand it's generally done.

If instead you're looking to use singles as a training method, then I just spend a couple weeks experimenting with heavy triples. I use that experience to inform choice of weight for the singles. When I haven't been an idiot, I then take a half-week break and then start high-rep work (e.g. 3s, 5s, even--gasp--10s and 20s) again at a lower (but higher than before) weight so that I don't get greedy working too close to my 1RM and end up hurting myself.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Registered Member

Achievements:
    3 months registered

Posted On:
    1/23/2014 8:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm just looking at a PR is simply an evaluation of the effectiveness of my training. My goal is to get stronger, so it validates that, but I'd also like to use the correct values for my percentages, as my program is based off of % of max. As you mentioned, it is easy to start creeping up too close to the 1RM, so maxing and re-calculating allows me a proper re-set after deloading.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234