Posted On:
    9/30/2013 1:21am

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RynoGreene View Post
    Hook grip?

Attachment 15442

Due to grip failure on my heavy sets of cleans, I'm considering switching to the hook grip. I tried it out in my last workout, and it is fairly uncomfortable on my thumb, but my grip did seem solid. Does anyone with experience at heavier clean/deadlift loads have any tips regarding this?
    I have tried it on pretty heavy deadlifts and, while it was certainly stronger than a double overhand grip, it hurt like the dickens. I am sure if you used it long enough your would have the capability to use it effectively. But it would likely suck in the meantime.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2013 5:31am

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My coach told me that hook grip is better than alternate grip because you have a small chance of tearing your bicep when the weight gets really heavy with an alternate grip.

All of this is of course only hearsay and broscience so take it for what it's worth.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2013 1:38pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister View Post
    My coach told me that hook grip is better than alternate grip because you have a small chance of tearing your bicep when the weight gets really heavy with an alternate grip.

All of this is of course only hearsay and broscience so take it for what it's worth.
    I imagine there is a small risk of bicep tear, but there are plenty of powerlifters moving ridiculous amounts of weight with the alternating grip. Its still a very stable grip. But hey, its not like developing a good hook grip is ever going to be a bad thing.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    9/30/2013 2:57pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Madcow put 100 lbs on my bench press in about 16 months (from 200 to 300lbs). I run modified 5X5 now and can push 340. Probably hit 350 by thanksgiving.

I don;t get too excited over assistance work, but I don;t ignore it either. But if a lift is progressing well on its own, i don't do much else for that group. When My bench was climbing 5 lbs a week, I just benched. When it started to stall I added weighted dips and dumbbell overhead presses (seated). That bought me another 2 months of slow gains before I had to de-load.

Same for Squat and DL. When they are climbing on their own, i don't add much accessory work. I use the gym time to work on what's stuck, not what's growing.

De-load when Bill Starr tells you too! Seriously, don't **** around with that. They are important!
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2013 4:52pm

Style: FMA/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome, I'm definitely taking note of that deloading.

Scrapper, since your max bench is around what I'm estimating I'll need for the 225 lb. multi-rep test, got a question for you... What would you estimate your max reps would be for 225? No biggie if you have no idea. But to get around 17ish reps up which is my goal, it would seem that around 330 max should do it.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    9/30/2013 7:06pm

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll try tomorrow. Twelve guranteed, more than 15 I'm not so sure.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    10/01/2013 11:07am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    19 reps. didn't even get interesting until 15. Surprised myself.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/01/2013 12:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome. Thanks a lot for doing the test. It looks like I was about right with a target of 330 max, and I appreciate the verification.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    10/01/2013 12:32pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Was a fun little experiment.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/07/2013 4:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Baseline for vertical: 19 1/2 inches.

Ack. And the sad thing is that I've been doing jumping drills for a few weeks and am fairly certain that I've at least added a couple of inches.

I just ran across some interesting combine drills here: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/nfl-...e-trainer.html
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast