• Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2013 11:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Nerve hydrodissection for carpal tunnel?

Has anyone else heard of this procedure?

Basically, here's my problem:

I work at a job that requires typing all day. I tore wrist cartilage in both wrists. Got two surgeries on the right side and it did nothing. Now, several years later I'm developing carpal tunnel as well. I DO NOT want surgery since I'm not confident in surgery.

I looked up alternative procedures and there's this one called a nerve hydrodissection. Have any of you had this before to know whether it's good or not?

Thanks.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/27/2013 8:32am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nerve hydrodissection can be a really good procedure, if it is right for you. Only a doctor can really tell you afte reviewing your nerve conduction studies and imaging of the affected area. The procedure usually takes about 30 minutes and is an outpatient surgery. Sometimes immediate reliefe is noted. However, if your condition is more severe, then the procedure may not work. In which case, the more reliable option of a carpal tunnel release would be done. Which takes longer and the recovery time is longer.

The unfortunate problem is that hydrodissection is fairly new which means that there are not a lot of long term studies on it. Since all it is really doing is decreasing the inflimation in your wrist in order to decompress the nerve, the chance of recurrence is pretty high. Especially if you continue the activities that caused the Carpel tunnel in the first place. But then again, recurrence after a release happens occasionally, too. So you have to hedge your bets.

If it doesn't work, you are only out the cost of the procedure. If it does, you save yourself a ton of recovery time and time.

But like I said I would go with the doctor recomendations. It's always good to get a second opinion on those things. Since sometimes doctors advice have a little of their own intrests in mind also.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.