Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    9/23/2013 7:20am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Meet Uncle Rhabdo

Hey, Crossfitters, apparently there is such a thing as too much.

I have a number of Crossfit fanatics in my circle, and this article is making the rounds, this morning:

https://medium.com/p/97bcce70356d

Now, to be fair, the article is heavily biased, but it raises some interesting points.

Does every Crossfitter know that WOD might actually kill you?

We've seen youtube compilations of Crossfit fail - presumably due to the lack of qualified coaching and the "just do it," culture; if it's to be believed that corporate and trainers around the world are versed in rhabdo, then the answer to the above question should be "yes." Then, WTF is going on at your local Crossfit gym? Is this a a cult hell-bent on self destruction?

Besides the anecdote from TFA, there are at least 10 others linked (5 alone in the "cartoon," article which is heavily derided by the author). And, that is maybe the most serious point of the article. Maybe my math isn't so good this morning, but unless there are tens of millions of Crossfitters, the occurance of Rhabdomyolysis within the CF community seems abnormally high.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/23/2013 1:16pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think Junior Dos Santos had the same thing after UFC 160. Pretty nasty stuff.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    9/23/2013 1:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by submessenger View Post
    Maybe my math isn't so good this morning, but unless there are tens of millions of Crossfitters, the occurance of Rhabdomyolysis within the CF community seems abnormally high.
    Your math is fine.

Here's another Crossfit critical article, while not about Rhabdo, it does highlight some of the problems/risks inherent in Crossfit.

http://paleomovement.com/crossfit-an...splaced-blame/