225234 Bullies, 4468 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    11/11/2013 2:14pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlMatt View Post
    I should have been clearer. I never meant to say that it is impossible that there is other life somewhere in the universe, only that I am dismissive of stories about extraterrestrial life coming to Earth.
    Dismissive is a strong word. You're not skeptical. You're dismissive. Interesting. Are you certain? Why is that idea so easily dismissed?

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    11/11/2013 2:49pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think especially strong skepticism is to be used regarding extraterrestrial life claims on account of hundreds of hoaxes and overenthusiastic journalism spanning over half a century, but dismissive is too far.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    11/11/2013 3:03pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I think especially strong skepticism is to be used regarding extraterrestrial life claims on account of hundreds of hoaxes and overenthusiastic journalism spanning over half a century, but dismissive is too far.
    I don't believe any specific story I read about people seeing spaceships and whatnot. Not that I don't believe it's possible. It's just that if any of the claims are true it's impossible to weed them out from the bullshit. So I don't bother trying to do that. I don't look for the smoking gun. I just use logic to determine that certain things could be possible and I leave it at that.

game dog

Posted On:
    11/12/2013 3:42pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    There is a problem with even believing that life on Earth is native or unique to Earth, considering the Earth formed from Solar leftovers that accreted from that stellar matter, which is itself leftovers of a stellar nursery of gas and dust of the Milky Way. It's possible that the life we know as "terrestrial" indeed began forming on Earth, but when you consider the source of materials...it's not so black and white.
    The materials are not the issue... assembling them into a self-replicating entity is. It's interesting and nice to know that organic compounds can form in outer space, but we know that they can easily form here on earth (Miller-Urey and all that). What we don't quite understand is how they formed a system where molecules or groups of molecules can make copies of themselves... and claiming "they came from space!" does nothing to explain that, it just pushes the question back one step.

On one hand, the idea opens up new "biotopes", new chemical and physical environments where abiogenesis could have happened. On the other hand, you then need an explanation how this proto-life travelled to Earth (possibly surviving very long times under very harsh conditions), survived the collision with the Earth's atmosphere, and managed to thrive in an environment it was not evolved to live in.
    There are no wrong threats, only wrong answers. (Strategy game truism)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2013 4:57pm

Style: aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Dismissive is a strong word. You're not skeptical. You're dismissive. Interesting. Are you certain? Why is that idea so easily dismissed?
    I think I'm pretty justified in being dismissive. There are exactly as many verified stories of aliens as there are of leprechauns.

Posted On:
    11/12/2013 5:01pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlMatt View Post
    I think I'm pretty justified in being dismissive. There are exactly as many verified stories of aliens as there are of leprechauns.
    I think you would be justified to be skeptical. I think being dismissive makes you close-minded.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2013 5:29pm

Style: judo, boxing -noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ever heard of Travis Walton Matt? That was interesting read... Far different than the movie.

We all have a need deep down for something higher and wonderfull... The afterlife, gods, aliens,.... If nothing else it makes one hell of a campfire story. Oh, I do believe it possible that aliens COULD have visited us, and are still, but don't think too much of that, because they more or less seem to be quiet observers if they're with us.

I like that statment from Mothman prophecies about why does the creature not reveal itself: 'You're far more advanced than cockroach. Ever tried and explain it to it??'
    I like to look into the latest rumours about conspiracy and aliens and stuff just for fun but some stuff is good to think about. Or not....

http://www.travis-walton.com/

This isn't all exactly what I wanted to tell but the more capable will deduce some vague meaning. I'm tired and off to bed. Good night alien hunters and alien hunter hunters.
    Last edited by Stickybomb; 11/12/2013 5:33pm at .

Posted On:
    11/12/2013 10:47pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm pretty sure there are some alien life forms visiting this website.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/13/2013 3:49am

Style: judo, boxing -noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I come in peace.

(We need to learn how bipedal carbon based dominating mammals managed to **** this awesome sweet planet up so deep)

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    11/13/2013 12:32pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickybomb View Post
    I come in peace.

(We need to learn how bipedal carbon based dominating mammals managed to **** this awesome sweet planet up so deep)
    No, we need to learn how every other species on Earth allowed them to do it!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast