222099 Bullies, 3685 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    11/03/2013 8:02pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlMatt View Post
    There's a big difference, though, between believing that there must be other life somewhere and believing that there is alien life here on Earth.
    Okay.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    11/09/2013 1:23pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is a problem with even believing that life on Earth is native or unique to Earth, considering the Earth formed from Solar leftovers that accreted from that stellar matter, which is itself leftovers of a stellar nursery of gas and dust of the Milky Way. It's possible that the life we know as "terrestrial" indeed began forming on Earth, but when you consider the source of materials...it's not so black and white.

The very words "alien life" are misleading and imply the Earth is some sort of closed system. It certainly is not, and those terms really come from a pre-space exploration (1950s etc) mentality when the Earth was one thing and the rest of space was something else.

It's really all the same ****, to put it bluntly.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    11/09/2013 2:26pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    Amino acids have been found in meteor fragments
    They've also found complex sugars forming in space.

Sugar formation, as with much of the complex molecular chemistry in space, occurs in the solid phase on or in a variety of ices that coat interstellar grains. Most land-based chemistry occurs in the liquid phase, primarily with water, thus the widely accepted theory that life on Earth began in a "primordial soup." While these two chemistry scenarios are very different, the end results can be very similar. The possibility of early impacts from comets bringing both the water supply and the sugars and other compounds that are life's building blocks to the Earth's surface has been a scientific theory for years. Once those sugars were free from their interstellar freezer and were steeped in the Earth's warm waters, they could have easily combined with other carbon compounds and eventually formed RNA and DNA.
    http://www.nasa.gov/vision/universe/...lar_sugar.html

http://www.nrao.edu/pr/2000/sugar/

Posted On:
    11/09/2013 7:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlMatt View Post
    There's a big difference, though, between believing that there must be other life somewhere and believing that there is alien life here on Earth.
    Not that big of a difference. Given the way we consume information now its pretty damn easy to make the leap. All you have to do is want to believe and consume logical falacy ridden info that reenforces what you want to believe.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/11/2013 8:41am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cake of Doom View Post
    that tiny alien life forms are constantly arriving from space
    I bloody knew it!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oompa-loompa-assau_2439825b.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	15549
    King without a crown

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/11/2013 9:13am

Style: Holiday Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always thought that they were some kind of sea urchin.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    11/11/2013 12:07pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    It really doesn't matter if we identify some microscopic organism on our planet as "alien life" or not. It's essentially a mathematical certainty that life exists elsewhere. Anyone who can't get their little pea brain around that concept is a fucking knucklehead.

Disclaimer: this is not rep bitching. This is an attempt to have a good old fashioned argument.

Erezb - you downvoted this post. What part of this statement do you disagree with?

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    11/11/2013 1:08pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Disclaimer: this is not rep bitching. This is an attempt to have a good old fashioned argument.

Erezb - you downvoted this post. What part of this statement do you disagree with?
    I'm not Erezb, but anyway- why would the scientific community give the first example of extraterrestrial life a "meh" just because they think its a mathematical certainty that life is out there somewhere? Don't scientists generally get super excited to learn that something that was only a theory is now a reality? That's like a treasure hunter finding a treasure map, then never digging it up, because they already know its there. I'm pretty sure the first authentic extraterrestrial life will cause the scientific community to have a huge orgasm, even if its just a microbe. I think the reason its not happening here is because this is a hoax, and hoaxes are common in this field.

Posted On:
    11/11/2013 1:44pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I'm not Erezb, but anyway- why would the scientific community give the first example of extraterrestrial life a "meh" just because they think its a mathematical certainty that life is out there somewhere? Don't scientists generally get super excited to learn that something that was only a theory is now a reality? That's like a treasure hunter finding a treasure map, then never digging it up, because they already know its there. I'm pretty sure the first authentic extraterrestrial life will cause the scientific community to have a huge orgasm, even if its just a microbe. I think the reason its not happening here is because this is a hoax, and hoaxes are common in this field.
    You're not considering the context of my statement. I'm not suggesting that scientists should give the first example of extraterrestrial life a "meh". And I'm certainly not suggesting that this isn't a hoax.

My intent was to address OwlMatt's belief that aliens are not real. I subscribe to W. Rabbit's ideas about it all being the same ****. Rabbit's pretty smart when he talks science. It's his comfort zone. If only he would stop talking about other stuff.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/11/2013 2:00pm

Style: aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I should have been clearer. I never meant to say that it is impossible that there is other life somewhere in the universe, only that I am dismissive of stories about extraterrestrial life coming to Earth.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast