Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/23/2013 6:04pm

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

East Timor bans Pencak Silat amid violence

At least 12 East Timorese have been killed and more than 200 injured in the past two years as a result of fighting among rival pencak silat clubs, said Armando Monteiro, National Police detective chief.

Schools and clubs for pencak silat, an adapted form of the Indonesian martial art, have a long history in East Timor, with many students in the past fighting against Indonesia's military occupation. They also became active clandestine members in supporting guerrilla fighters and some made significant contributions toward winning the country's independence in 2002.
    "Any martial arts clubs members that violate the government resolution will be dealt with under the law,'' Mr Monteiro said. There will be "zero tolerance for martial arts activities in the country.''

http://www.news.com.au/world-news/ea...-1226725619347
    [/QUOTE]
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Posted On:
    9/24/2013 7:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This seems like more of that retarded idea that you can somehow ban violence by banning the tools people use to be violent. How does one ban a skill set?? Do they frisk someone and say "give me all your martial skills or I will shoot?? They're basically banning their own heritage because of a few douchebags. You sure this isn't England??

Posted On:
    9/24/2013 8:20am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    How does one ban a skill set?? Do they frisk someone and say "give me all your martial skills or I will shoot??
    You might want to actually read the article. Historically, martial arts schools have given rise to revolutionaries (qv. Boxer Rebellion) so banning those assemblies makes perfect sense. It even says in the quoted article "... with many students in the past fighting against Indonesia's military occupation."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2013 8:43am

Style: aikido

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe I'm just an ignorant white suburban American, but it blows my mind that there are still places in the world where rival martial arts clubs fight each other to the death.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2013 8:58am

Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlMatt View Post
    Maybe I'm just an ignorant white suburban American, but it blows my mind that there are still places in the world where rival martial arts clubs fight each other to the death.
    It was happening in the US not too long ago, just look at the whole Count Dante/Black Dragon Fighting Society thing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2013 9:14am

Style: aikido

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    It was happening in the US not too long ago, just look at the whole Count Dante/Black Dragon Fighting Society thing.
    It seems to me, though, that that was an isolated incident perpetrated mostly by a single nutjob and his followers. This article is talking about a nationwide culture of violence, as if the entire country is stuck in an old kung fu movie where different schools are constantly defending their honor against rivals.

Posted On:
    9/24/2013 9:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    You might want to actually read the article. Historically, martial arts schools have given rise to revolutionaries (qv. Boxer Rebellion) so banning those assemblies makes perfect sense. It even says in the quoted article "... with many students in the past fighting against Indonesia's military occupation."
    I can to an extent understand the why, even though its retarded. What I don't understand is the logistics, how do you ban a martial art?? Do they have inspectors that will go to other MA places and say "nope that punch is too much like Silat"?? It would make more sense for them to just say no more martial arts at all. To me this just seems like all those clubs have to do is go underground which will make the problem worse. Prohibition has been proven to be worthless when tried pretty much everywhere on planet earth. Not to mention that banning a skill set is next to impossible. Banning a weapon while usually it doesn't work it's not impossible to at least identify a physical object, but a skill set?? I just don't see this as having any chance of being a realistic way for them to combat this problem.

Posted On:
    9/24/2013 9:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlMatt View Post
    It seems to me, though, that that was an isolated incident perpetrated mostly by a single nutjob and his followers. This article is talking about a nationwide culture of violence, as if the entire country is stuck in an old kung fu movie where different schools are constantly defending their honor against rivals.
    I know violence is violence, but at least it takes them effort to Kung fu each other, it's better than just stabbing each other in the face with a machete which if I'm not mistaken is another problem that area has.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2013 9:32am

Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    I know violence is violence, but at least it takes them effort to Kung fu each other, it's better than just stabbing each other in the face with a machete which if I'm not mistaken is another problem that area has.
    To be fair Silat does have a fair amount of techniques that involve stabbing people in the face with a machete.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/24/2013 9:34am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any the funny thing is that the government just made it even cooler to train in Pencak Silat!! I never really cared much about Silat, but now that it's illegal because it's too deadly, I suddenly want to learn it!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast