221326 Bullies, 4033 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    9/25/2013 3:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keslet View Post
    That's interesting...you would think that the military, with as much as they spend developing all this other stuff, would want to invest in the 'bread-and-butter' equipment like firearms. I mean, related to what you said, what's the point of investing vast sums into making a weapon self-aiming if the weapon itself isn't optimized?

I'm sure you guys know much more about this subject than I do...I'm only a casual shooter....but it seems like there would have to be more to reason why they haven't pursued this than just the difficulty of the work...I mean, they split the atom and landed a robot on Mars that worked for, what, a year? Is it more difficult to address these firearm related questions? Honestly, I'm really asking because I'm no expert...

Anyways, you've got my curiosity going on that book...I'll have to see if I can scrounge up a copy...

You can download Hatcher's Notebook for free online. It's public domain now.

The military isn't doing the research because they don't see a need. They have systems and training in place to accomplish what they need to accomplish. They know how to take a sniper rifle built with the best current technology and utilize it to the maximum capability of the ammunition.

That doesn't mean there aren't better ways to do things and that doesn't mean we know everything there is to know. It just means those unknowns are irrelevant the way rifles are currently deployed.

However, some of those unknowns will most likely become relevant when you try to push the boundaries of technology - for instance, with a self shooting sniper rifle. To build a truly successful platform like that you're probably going to need to prove some things that are currently theoretical and better understand some of the variables that are currently dismissed as unimportant.

My guess is that they would put in the work if they saw a need. They don't have hard ons for the self shooting rifle concept because the shooters understand the hurdles I'm talking about here and they know it's a pipe dream at the moment.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2013 3:27pm

Style: Wrestle, Kickbox, Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    You can download Hatcher's Notebook for free online. It's public domain now.

The military isn't doing the research because they don't see a need. They have systems and training in place to accomplish what they need to accomplish. They know how to take a sniper rifle built with the best current technology and utilize it to the maximum capability of the ammunition.

That doesn't mean there aren't better ways to do things and that doesn't mean we know everything there is to know. It just means those unknowns are irrelevant the way rifles are currently deployed.

However, some of those unknowns will most likely become relevant when you try to push the boundaries of technology - for instance, with a self shooting sniper rifle. To build a truly successful platform like that you're probably going to need to prove some things that are currently theoretical and better understand some of the variables that are currently dismissed as unimportant.

My guess is that they would put in the work if they saw a need. They don't have hard ons for the self shooting rifle concept because the shooters understand the hurdles I'm talking about here and they know it's a pipe dream at the moment.
    That makes sense. Sounds like the 20k rifle really is putting the cart before the horse...

Thanks for the tip on the book!

Posted On:
    9/25/2013 3:28pm

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If they can make something like this in an RDS sized optic I actually see more use for this in the 200-500 yd M16-M4 shot than for a "sniper rifle".

Yours truly

Posted On:
    9/25/2013 3:29pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tgace View Post
    If they can make something like this in an RDS sized optic I actually see more use for this in the 200-500 yd M16-M4 shot than for a "sniper rifle".
    Trijicon is working on some, and some more on machine gun optics.
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    9/25/2013 3:34pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tgace View Post
    I agree.

Posted On:
    9/26/2013 7:23am

Style: Arnis/Kenpo hybrid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Something I noticed in the article...you have to purchase the AMMUNITION from the manufacturer as well for the system to work as advertised. That's a NO GO for me at this point.

I also didnt read the article extremely thoroughly, but what about moving targets. Does the marking pip stay locked onto movers??
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12