Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2013 9:51am

Style: Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

An Experiment in Wing Chun

So I've studied a lot of martial arts over the last 18 years or so, and like many people on this board, I firmly believe that training with active resistance (an opponent who genuinely does not want you to be successful as you try to apply a technique) is one of the only ways to separate out the garbage and gain the skills to apply either in real life or in a ring. As a physicist, I have to further emphasize that philosophy. No matter how awesome a theory may sound, if it doesn't hold up to real-life testing, it's garbage.

I have read a lot of the threads here on Wing Chun (and watched a lot of videos), and while many of them quickly digress to your typical internet arguments, some key points that really stuck with me are the genuine lack of success of wing chun in an MMA setting, and what appears to be a tendency for fighters going style-against-style to stray from (or abandon) wing chun as they fight.

On the other side, a lot of the principals behind wing chun seem not only sound, but clever and efficient from a physics point of view. I know garbage in martial arts very well, especially when it comes to bad science. Wing chun has plenty of it, just like a large number of other styles, but my gut tells me there may be some substance in there too.

So, I decided a little while ago, that I was going to make my next style Wing Chun, and I would give it an earnest, full-hearted chance. I don't know what the result will be. Do I find a few useful things I can bring to a more robust style later? Do I find a style that can be considered sound and useful only in specific ranges/circumstances? Do I find a style badly in need of a few safety gear innovations in order to make active resistance possible? Do I find a style that has just drifted too far away from reality as its practitioners no longer have chances to test it out in real life? I don't know, but I'm going to find out.

Cheers!

Full disclosure: I'm not giving up training in other styles, or live sparring in those other styles, and I'm going into it with a long history of martial arts training, so I do not represent a typical student, and any success or failures I may have in a setting with active resistance could easily be attributed to my prior training, so I am not a reasonable candidate for testing styles against each other or testing the validity of the style of wing chun in general. The results of this endeavor will be fact-finding only, and should I find something in need of testing, more suitable individuals should be picked for that scenario.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unbranded-discovery-world-chemistry-set-100-experiments-f-e-v-a.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	15.9 KB 
ID:	15424  

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/21/2013 10:15am

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have fun. You haven't read enough threads. There are a few useful things in Chun as stated by Omega, Deraus, and a few others that you might respect. Most of us bitch about the shitty attitude and the poor training regimen that is used by the most vocal proponents of the chun.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2013 11:03am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Have fun. You haven't read enough threads. There are a few useful things in Chun as stated by Omega, Deraus, and a few others that you might respect. Most of us bitch about the shitty attitude and the poor training regimen that is used by the most vocal proponents of the chun.
    Thanks. I will keep reading and keep looking. If you stumble across those threads, please send me a link and I will read them. I would definitely like to hear their thoughts.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/21/2013 11:32am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Awesome View Post
    Thanks. I will keep reading and keep looking. If you stumble across those threads, please send me a link and I will read them. I would definitely like to hear their thoughts.
    I'm pretty sure I know which ones. I'll get them to you in the next week if not earlier.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2013 11:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I'm pretty sure I know which ones. I'll get them to you in the next week if not earlier.
    I really appreciate it, thank you.

Posted On:
    9/21/2013 11:52am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ha! I had that exact chemistry set as a kid!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2013 12:08am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Ha! I had that exact chemistry set as a kid!
    I love you you Chen (no homo) just for that comment

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/27/2013 6:15pm

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Holy ****, it is going to be awhile. Damn, I knew it was bad, but I had no idea how whiny, how many threads and how much butt hurt is contained in the chun.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    9/27/2013 7:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My initial thoughts as to why is isn't as useful as say boxing or muay thai would be the lack a power generation in their techniques. They don't commit the weight and total body force needed to have a significant impact on an opponent to cause damage.

Daniel from Houston who used to post here is a wing chun guy who actually fights mma and spars hard.

Posted On:
    9/27/2013 7:50pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh no not another Chun thread! I can't take any more pseudoscience!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast