Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2013 1:13pm

Style: Kickboxing, LGKF, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The thing is, I'm not all that interested in training much Judo at the moment. It's mainly my stand up that I want to work on. I'm no Mixed martial artist. Least not anymore, haven't trained the stuff in years and not sure if I really want to. Prefer doing the stand up stuff.

As said, I did get a hold of some of Lyotto Machida's instructional tapes, however I always get a mixed reaction from people when mentioning instructional tapes or books. Seems they have a poor reputation so not sure if anyone here would recommend doing it.

As said, could probably do some shadow boxing and basic fitness drills until the job here settles and I know full well how long I'll be on it to make it worth bothering joining a gym. Though heard through the grapevine I'm here till Christmas, if it's confirmed, I'll seek out somewhere close by that teaches some form of martial arts.

Honestly, knew that my options were going to be limited regardless. However just wondered if anyone here had been in the same situation and if they had any advice that I couldn't think of. Thanks for the advice given. Currently got my old dobok in my bag along with a white belt. Though think it may be a little more appropriate if I fetch just some lose fitting clothes rather than a more specific martial art uniform.

Posted On:
    9/23/2013 3:45pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude, I am not trying to sell you Judo. I just went through my list of things I thought were effective in terms of solo training and came across those, given your limitations. Shadowboxing gets old, fast, and people think you are crazy.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2013 4:03pm

Style: Kickboxing, LGKF, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crappler View Post
    Dude, I am not trying to sell you Judo. I just went through my list of things I thought were effective in terms of solo training and came across those, given your limitations. Shadowboxing gets old, fast, and people think you are crazy.
    Glad that's cleared up. Honestly, I don't train outside so I've got the advantage of people not seeing me to think I'm crazy, with the exception of jogging, in that case they can look at my mighty **** hair and assume that I'm a crazed mad man.

I do most of my "At home training" in my bnb room. Rooms big enough to move about in and so far just stretching and then practicing what ever technique we drilled Saturday. Which, since I'm new to this style is a simple one-two front leg snap kick. Keep practicing until I perfect it I guess. The whole "Practice 1 kick a 1000 times" deal. Though would be handier to have a bag down here to feel the impact.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12