Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    9/24/2013 6:59am

staff
     Style: MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    3 months? For what? You have multiple competing desires and not a clearly defined goal among them.

I wan't to be strong, I wan't to be fit, I wan't to be explosive, I wan't to be CUT!

Three different goals, not necessarily complimentary.

Right now I am 6'5 and 234 lbs. Most my fat is in my belly, legs, back, and face. I can jog for ever but I still can have that "pudgy" look sometimes even if I get lean

At 6'5 " and 234, if you are not already strong, you are "skinny-fat." Which means while not necessarily a porker, you lack real muscle as well. It's possible you have a bunch of muscle already though, which helps.

Can I lift 5-6 days a week? I don't like resting and I feel like I'll lose gains.

This is patently stupid. Many people know a lot more about muscle gains than you. They all agree that rest is probably the second-most critical component, if not the first. How you "feel" about rest is irrelevant.

My goal is to stay lean, and I have a body type like Jon Jones/ Anderson Sylvia, long legs, arms, and lanky.

What does that mean? This is not a goal. What weight, bodyfat % are you targeting?

I look buff with a rashgaurd on but when it's off all you see is something to be worked on, lol.

Classic "skinny-fat."

How often should I lift? can I lift and run in the same day? what should I be eating?

Starting Strength
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Posted On:
    9/24/2013 8:57am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's another tip: pick one program and stick to it. Don't add your own ****, this isn't the a la carte menu at Applebees. Starting Strength was designed by someone who knows what the hell he is doing, and knows more about this **** than you do.

If you want to do a different program afterwards, fine. Just don't **** with the one as it is until then. If it doesn't feel like you're making enough progress, you're not working hard enough.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi...rting_Strength

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2013 10:32am

Style: Injured

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Problem is bro that bodybuilding takes a lot of time.

It's not hard it just takes a while.

I doubt 3 months will be enough to fix your metabolism, and build muscle/strength, then cut down to a respectable bodyfat percentage, while retaining your strength gains.

Think of it as a long term investment, only 6 hours a week, and after a year or two if you really put the effort in you will reap the benefits.

I should tell you, though:

Starting Strength is hard, the hardest training program I've ever done.

Mainly because it takes some SERIOUS balls to go in everyday knowing that today the weight is heavier than the weight you struggled with two days ago.

You will know what I'm talking about when you're wondering why the **** you're doing this to yourself between squat sets, and telling yourself "it's okay you can stop here, 2 sets are plenty"

...but you still keep going, man.

Takes some balls, man.

Also, what Phrost said.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2013 10:55am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Three months is not giving yourself enough time. Weight lifting is all about the long term progress, it fucking sucks but thats the truth. After three months you will see improvements sure. (if you change your diet) but you wont be close to what you want.

Rest is awesome, rest is the key to gains. This can not be stressed enough.

Also I suggest building some strength (eating your 500 cal over maintenance) before cutting for the 6 pack, no sense in taking off all the fat if you have nothing underneath. This should take at least 6 months, preferably longer.

I'm no expert and all this comes from personal experiance so take it as you will.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/24/2013 5:23pm

Style: Lifting heavy stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judojeff View Post
    Three months is not giving yourself enough time. Weight lifting is all about the long term progress, it fucking sucks but thats the truth. After three months you will see improvements sure. (if you change your diet) but you wont be close to what you want.

Rest is awesome, rest is the key to gains. This can not be stressed enough.

Also I suggest building some strength (eating your 500 cal over maintenance) before cutting for the 6 pack, no sense in taking off all the fat if you have nothing underneath. This should take at least 6 months, preferably longer.

I'm no expert and all this comes from personal experiance so take it as you will.
    I know the general consensus with "skinny fat" people is to bulk then cut I've read articles saying that in fact its better to lean out first to 10-15% body fat then try to clean bulk up.

http://anthonymychal.com/2012/09/sho...fat-must-read/

Maybe this guy is bullshido maybe not, but if his facts are correct especially about the part where he talks about it being harder to build mass while being over a certain % bodyweight then maybe a cut first is the way to go.

Although i assume his talking more aesthetics while the op is asking more about performance??

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2013 8:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by adskibullus View Post
    I know the general consensus with "skinny fat" people is to bulk then cut I've read articles saying that in fact its better to lean out first to 10-15% body fat then try to clean bulk up.

http://anthonymychal.com/2012/09/sho...fat-must-read/

Maybe this guy is bullshido maybe not, but if his facts are correct especially about the part where he talks about it being harder to build mass while being over a certain % bodyweight then maybe a cut first is the way to go.

Although i assume his talking more aesthetics while the op is asking more about performance??
    Yeah I have heard this to, personally i just hate cutting so any chance i get to skip right to bulking I take. I think the cut or bulk first question is more about gauging results then will you make gains quicker if you cut first.

Obviously if you cut first you will see gains in mass quicker when you do start to bulk simply because you have less fat covering them muscles up. However I dont think it will make your rate of progression any quicker if you cut down to 10% before the bulk. Personally I find more solace knowing that every week I get stronger then I do when I find new definition in the mirror, so going a little bulk heavy works for me, it might not for others.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2013 12:39am

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judojeff View Post
    Yeah I have heard this to, personally i just hate cutting so any chance i get to skip right to bulking I take. I think the cut or bulk first question is more about gauging results then will you make gains quicker if you cut first.

Obviously if you cut first you will see gains in mass quicker when you do start to bulk simply because you have less fat covering them muscles up. However I dont think it will make your rate of progression any quicker if you cut down to 10% before the bulk. Personally I find more solace knowing that every week I get stronger then I do when I find new definition in the mirror, so going a little bulk heavy works for me, it might not for others.
    All depends on goals, which I think is many people in this thread's point. If you wanna see abs, your diet and training is probably going to be different than if your singular goal is strength. I mean, eating a boatload of natural food will do you better than bulking with twinkies, but to get big and strong you have two... well, get big and strong.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    9/27/2013 7:37am

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For the goal of gaining muscle, what is the recommended caloric intake on non-training days?
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2013 8:18am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    For the goal of gaining muscle, what is the recommended caloric intake on non-training days?
    Mine does not change, but then I dont follow a complicated diet, I have a target caloric intake I aim for and focus on eating good lean, high protein food (chicken, beans, quinoa, etc) along with veggies and rice every 2-3 hours through out the day. I can generaly time my meals and necesary calories so that I dont over eat but still put in something every few hours.

Others may have a more educated/technical opinion.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2013 10:36am

Style: mt/bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
    3 months? For what? You have multiple competing desires and not a clearly defined goal among them.

I wan't to be strong, I wan't to be fit, I wan't to be explosive, I wan't to be CUT!

Three different goals, not necessarily complimentary.

Right now I am 6'5 and 234 lbs. Most my fat is in my belly, legs, back, and face. I can jog for ever but I still can have that "pudgy" look sometimes even if I get lean

At 6'5 " and 234, if you are not already strong, you are "skinny-fat." Which means while not necessarily a porker, you lack real muscle as well. It's possible you have a bunch of muscle already though, which helps.

Can I lift 5-6 days a week? I don't like resting and I feel like I'll lose gains.

This is patently stupid. Many people know a lot more about muscle gains than you. They all agree that rest is probably the second-most critical component, if not the first. How you "feel" about rest is irrelevant.

My goal is to stay lean, and I have a body type like Jon Jones/ Anderson Sylvia, long legs, arms, and lanky.

What does that mean? This is not a goal. What weight, bodyfat % are you targeting?

I look buff with a rashgaurd on but when it's off all you see is something to be worked on, lol.

Classic "skinny-fat."

How often should I lift? can I lift and run in the same day? what should I be eating?

Starting Strength
    Wow really good replies so far.

You guys are right I shouldn't be thrown off by the time it takes and work my ass off. It may take 3 months or longer. I'll work to get the best results ASAP! (no steroids)
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast