Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2013 2:01pm

Style: mt/bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

So I'm new to weight lifting and...

All I do is run, jog, and sprint, I don't even do push ups, squats, pull ups, I barely do any kind of body weight or resistance exercise (besides cardio).

I noticed I can roll and even spar for literally EVER. I lack explosive power and physical strength though. Most of my matches I'v won are from me still having energy and my opponent gassing out.

I wan't to be strong, I wan't to be fit, I wan't to be explosive, I wan't to be CUT!

Right now I am 6'5 and 234 lbs. Most my fat is in my belly, legs, back, and face. I can jog for ever but I still can have that "pudgy" look sometimes even if I get lean

Can I lift 5-6 days a week? I don't like resting and I feel like I'll lose gains.

My goal is to stay lean, and I have a body type like Jon Jones/ Anderson Sylvia, long legs, arms, and lanky.

I look buff with a rashgaurd on but when it's off all you see is something to be worked on, lol.

How often should I lift? can I lift and run in the same day? what should I be eating?

Right now : 6'5 234 lbs and sorta athletic looking

Goal : 6'5 205 lbs and CUT (like jon jones)

what are the best foods to create a chiseled body of sexual awesomeness? a leaner face? oh and athletic performance too!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2013 4:32pm

Style: Injured

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll just put this out there.

If you're interested.

Posted On:
    9/20/2013 7:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds to me like you simply eat too much.
    If you want more power and explosiveness then train those attributes, but that won't necessarily take away your pudge.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2013 1:04am

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Someone once said that you don't get big and strong by lifting weights. You get big and strong by recovering from lifting weights. Recovery is very important.

If you want to get big and strong (or stay big and get strong) you have to recover.

If you are lifting 6 or 7 days a week, you are probably fucking up.

Getting "ripped" (wanna see my abs!) and getting ogre strong are differing goals that might not be compatible with each other.

For strength and power, start with the big 3 (or 4 or 5): Squat, Bench, Deadlift (Overhead Press, Power Clean) and a good program (Starting Strength, 5/3/1, etc). And then eat a lot of food (actual food, not junk)

For getting "ripped": I don't know. I am slightly pudgy but my lifts are progressing consistently, which is my goal. Getting low body fat is mostly a matter of diet though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2013 2:19am

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Based on his other post in another thread I don't think bigmaclol eats too much.

Maybe you can post your eating habits so we can have a better idea.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2013 2:50am

Style: HS Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eat 500 under maintenance = cut.
    Eat 500 over maintenance = bulk.

More than 500 is usually detrimental (fat gain > muscle gain or muscle loss > fat loss). Less takes too long and leaves too little room for error, though it's all personal preference. Muscle gain is not linear btw, since your body adapts to stress by building muscle or making your CNS more efficient (recruiting more muscle fibers) or sometimes both.

If you want explosiveness, use oly lifts.

I don't recommend SS. I recommend Baby SS, ICF SS, or a 5x5 if you can handle the volume.

Posted On:
    9/21/2013 4:28am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My coach told me something recently:

There's no such thing as over training BUT there is such thing as under eating and under resting.

I train 6 days a week, 3 of those with heavy weights. My rest day is exactly that, a rest day. Not a "well, I only do this little bit" day.

I do the big 3, squats, bench, dead.

My current top set is as follows:
    Squat- 120kg
    Bench- 82.5kg
    Dead- 140kg

I don't know what that is in Dark Ages measurements because that conversion information has been lost to the sands of time, but I'm 84kg. I started out with the Stronglifts 5x5 program and believe it to be a great beginners program.

I agree with much of the comments above. I'm also losing pudge around the middle and the saying is correct, "abs are made in the kitchen".

I'm on an Intermittent Fasting diet, which has been effective for me. It is somewhat controversial, but check out www.leangains.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Posted On:
    9/21/2013 11:49am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    My coach told me something recently:

There's no such thing as over training BUT there is such thing as under eating and under resting.

Rhabdomyolysis?

https://medium.com/p/97bcce70356d

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2013 4:07pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
    Eat 500 under maintenance = cut.
    Eat 500 over maintenance = bulk.

More than 500 is usually detrimental (fat gain > muscle gain or muscle loss > fat loss). Less takes too long and leaves too little room for error, though it's all personal preference. Muscle gain is not linear btw, since your body adapts to stress by building muscle or making your CNS more efficient (recruiting more muscle fibers) or sometimes both.

If you want explosiveness, use oly lifts.

I don't recommend SS. I recommend Baby SS, ICF SS, or a 5x5 if you can handle the volume.
    Just curious: why not Starting Strength? I did it for several months before switching to 5/3/1 and it worked great. ANd I constantly here that at least Stronglifts 5x5 is just some dude who ripped off Starting Strength. (thats not saying a 5x5 program is not good, just that the Stronglifts guy isn't the expert he claims to be... or so I've read from actual experts).

Your diet recommendations sound body-building focused. And I don't mean that in an insulting way. Like I said in my post, getting visible abs and getting fucking huge and scary strong aren't goals that are real compatible with each other (this may compare to cutting vs bulking in your post) and your goals seem different from mine so I am trying to understand clearly. But everything I have read in well regarded weightlifting books, forums, etc is to eat THOUSANDS of calories over maintenance. Like, "if you aren't eating 5k+ calories, eat more". Combine that with the increasing tendency to say eat BETTER calories (more whole "real" food) and not LESS calories (but still junk) and I get confused as to why anyone bothers counting calories anymore.

Anyhoo, for the OP: seriously, do some form of Squat/Bench/Deadlift/Overhead/Power Clean for a considerable period of time and get back to us if that doesn't make you feel mighty enough.

If you want to run, thats probably fine. Most recommendations say do your conditioning (running) on your rest days, and if possible on rest days that don't come right after intense leg days (depending how your program is splitting your lifts during the week).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2013 2:48am

Style: mt/bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Awesome replies guys!

I read through them all and I now have a better concept on strength/beach body gains and recovery!

I will upgrade my dieting - I eat pretty healthy... but I need MOAR PROTEINZ!

Tonight I did Dead lift, cleans, calf raises, some shoulder exercise, traps, and abs / push ups

What I eat would be something like Oatmeal in the morning, or just a protein shake / almond milk, and eat lunch in the middle of the day like veggies, nuts and turkey breast, and for dinner I would eat brown rice and Fish

That's all I eat, I drink water and munch veggies through out the day. While I am typing this I am realising how much calories I am missing out on! (my lifestyle is super active)

Time TO BECOME A STRONG AND LEAN MOTHA FUCKAAA!!
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast