mma review ratings
    Aliveness: 7

Equipment: 5

Gym Size: 3

Atmosphere/Attitude: 8

Striking Instruction: 6

Grappling Instruction: 5

Weapons Instruction: 9

RUFMA is the Rutgers New Brunswick Filipino Martial Arts Club. I've only been attending for about a month but I'm loving everything so far. The primary style taught is Doce Pares, though in about a week we are going to NYC for some Pekiti Tirsia training. Some older members have also told me that throughout the year we get teachers from other schools who are friends of our coach (as he likes to be called, as he has a western boxing background) to give us instruction.

Aliveness: 7

I'm giving this a seven because at the end of each 2 hour class, we spar full contact with no armor but padded sticks. Also, almost all of our drills involve practice on an opponent, stick to stick; we don't strike the air for practice. In addition, there is an optional weekend class for students who wish to train for WEKAF where there is heavy sparring (no soft strikes) but with full body armor and unpadded rattan sticks.

Equipment: 5

The sticks we use are imported from Manila, but I can tell they are really cheap. Almost all the upperclassmen, the assistant instructors, and the instructor himself have their own personal sticks. The sticks the club treasurer sells are really cheap "scorpion" rattan sticks. But they are good for practice and only 14 dollars without a bag, and 25 with a bag (for 2 sticks; 1 stick is 7 dollars). Buying a stick is optional, for class all the students without sticks are provided with sticks, but these are well used, chipped but still serviceable. The padded sticks and WEKAF body armor also have this well used and worn look, but work just fine. We do not have any uniform or belts; there are no ranks here. In fact, my first class Coach told us to just come in whatever clothes we want, stating that we need to learn to fight comfortably in the normal clothes we would wear everyday. It gives the class a very informal feel which I will expand upon later.

Gym Size: 3

We are not a big club. There are maybe only 20 of us who come to all the practices, give or take a few "now-and-theners." We practice in a dance studio that we share with many other clubs. There are no mats on the ground, and honestly even with the small class size I sometimes find myself without enough space to practice with a partner without colliding with someone else practicing around me. But we do not bring a lot of equipment; everyone brings their own sticks or borrows some from the club, and the WEKAF equipment is only brought on weekends. Maybe a punching bag will be brought now and then, but otherwise we are pretty self sufficient so a large space is not really needed. It works.

Atmosphere/Attitude: 8

I really like the people here. Everyone seems helpful, and unlike the Karate school I use to go to in middle school (which I recently figured out to be a McDojo on reflection). It is very personal. We are all friends on facebook, and our Coach somehow balances being a strict and practical teacher with getting to know his students without crossing over into that morally gray area of "I thought you were my friend, coach..." etc. where things get awkward. A friend of mine who practices pekiti tirsia in Jersey City learned and is still learning in a backyard. Very informal, but very practical. His class was made up of personal friends "in the know" of the instructor, who did not have a formal "dojo" or business. He taught them because he enjoyed teaching and was their friend. I've seen my friend fight (he's been doing pekiti tirsia kali for 4 years now) and and have asked him to show me some stuff; he's the real deal. The instruction/mood/atmosphere/attitude here has that same "backyard teaching" feel.

Striking Instruction: 6

Again we tend to almost always practice with a partner, stick to stick, hand to hand, in addition to tournament style practice.

Grappling instruction: 5

This gets a 5 because Eskrima is not at all a grappling art. It cannot compare to BJJ or Judo. However, I have been taught some disarms here that flow into arm bars and throws, but so far (and I doubt there will be) there has been no ground fighting instruction. I gave it a 5 though for the "upright" grappling/wrestling techniques (my teacher is incorporating both western boxing and panantukan, which has some grappling, into how he teaches us).

Weapons Instruction: 9

Eskrima is a weapon art, first and foremost. From day 1 I've had practice and instruction with a stick.

Posted On:
    9/18/2013 11:29pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Eskrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also: a note on costs. It is only 25 dollars per semester, at least for Rutgers students. There is one non-rutgers student here but he is personal friends with the Coach, so I don't even know if he pays anything.

Also, our Coach has taught here at Rutgers for the past 10 years. This is his part time job and he does it because he loves to teach and loves the art and loves Rutgers (he's an alumni.) At least that is my impression of him; who else would come to Rutgers for 10 years 3 days a week to teach 2 hour classes 9-11 at probably less than minimum wage, if he is only making money off us from the 50 dollar total semester dues?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/19/2013 3:26am

Style: DocePares/MMA(YawYan)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Out of interest, which "style" of Doce Pares is your club?

Also, when you do partner work do you always stick to the set patterns or do you also flow using random angles and "freestyle" counters?

Posted On:
    9/19/2013 8:14am

Bullshido Newbie

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    we do both! usually set patterns first, and then coach signals us after like maybe 15-20 minutes of set patterns to do free flow.

Posted On:
    9/25/2013 9:53pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Fuzzy! I'm unsure what you mean by "style" of Doce Pares. I asked Coach about it, and I learned that RUFMA is actually a branch associated with the Eskrima club PIMA in Jersery City, which is the Doce Pares US HQ. I hope that answers your question! Thanks :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2013 3:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by stvo131 View Post
    Hey Fuzzy! I'm unsure what you mean by "style" of Doce Pares. I asked Coach about it, and I learned that RUFMA is actually a branch associated with the Eskrima club PIMA in Jersery City, which is the Doce Pares US HQ. I hope that answers your question! Thanks :)
    No worries man, that does answer my question.

Looks like you're under GM Dong Cuesta, so your "brand" of Doce Pares is, like mine, the "Original Multi-Style System" of SGM Diony Canete.

There are a number of other versions of Doce Pares, for example Cacoy Doce Pares and Carin Doce Pares (San Miguel).

Posted On:
    9/26/2013 8:55am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So fuzzy, what does that mean? Is there a big stylistic difference or are all these "Styles" of Doce Pares essentially the same but simply headed by a different GM?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/26/2013 9:19am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by stvo131 View Post
    So fuzzy, what does that mean? Is there a big stylistic difference or are all these "Styles" of Doce Pares essentially the same but simply headed by a different GM?
    There are definite stylistic differences, which is why I asked, since prospective students reading this review might like to know.

I've only been training Doce Pares for about a year and a half now, and I've only done one seminar with a GM from Cacoy Doce Pares, so I'm not really qualified to discuss all the differences, but I know for a fact that the Cacoy Doce Pares guys use a different numbering system to us, they have different siniwalis, different terminology and a lot more focus on the corto or close range and the curving strikes.

Mortal_Wombat and Permalost are both Cacoy Doce Pares guys and might be able to discuss the differences in a bit more detail.

Posted On:
    9/26/2013 12:47pm

Bullshido Newbie

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    There are definite stylistic differences, which is why I asked, since prospective students reading this review might like to know.

I've only been training Doce Pares for about a year and a half now, and I've only done one seminar with a GM from Cacoy Doce Pares, so I'm not really qualified to discuss all the differences, but I know for a fact that the Cacoy Doce Pares guys use a different numbering system to us, they have different siniwalis, different terminology and a lot more focus on the corto or close range and the curving strikes.

Mortal_Wombat and Permalost are both Cacoy Doce Pares guys and might be able to discuss the differences in a bit more detail.

Thanks for all the info, it is really appreciated :).