My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    9/19/2013 3:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by catfishaggie View Post
    Switch to making your sweet tea with stevia. That is what I have done because everybody knows us Texans love our sweet tea and you don't crave more sweets afterwards unlike with refined sugar (which is being referred to in the article).
    I tried Stevia...hate it. Not saying don't use it, just that I don't like.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    9/19/2013 3:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    Heh, I've been telling my son for years that sugar makes you weak. It hasn't stopped him from asking for dessert after dinner, but he typically eats a very small amount of dessert. He never gets sugar at lunch or breakfast. He also very rarely gets to drink soda. Once in a while I'll let him have one of those natural root beers or an Izze.

So, I was recently simultaneously pleased and embarrassed when his friend's mother told me the following story after he spent the night at his friend's house. For breakfast, she offered them one of those super sugary cereals. I think it was Fruit Loops. Horrified, my son asked if his friend's mother loved him, and if she did, why was she giving him a breakfast filled with sugar?
    that sounds like my boys, LOL. They hardly even drink fruit juice and will often cut it with water by half.

We were at a birthday party (pizza and soda, go figure), and they both refused soda and got water from the tap.

They didn't pass on the cake and ice cream, though !
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/20/2013 7:29am

Style: Sekkyoku Tai Jutsu/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    The last part of this is correct, but there have been all sorts of studies that show a correlation between the rise of sugars and other carbohydrates in the human diet, and the decline of health; especially in the fossil record of the human race.

Sugar flat-out wrecks your endocrine system in enough amounts, and our species never evolved to process it in large quantities.

Fat, however, is what our ancestors sought out, going so far as to crack bones for their marrow and smash in skulls to get fatty brain tissue.
    Word!.....

And they put it in everything too. It's even getting hard for me to find burgers at the shop that aren't like 80% meat and the rest some form of sugar and wheat extract (which is even rampant at the butchers!)I do like a bit of honey in my tea though.

Posted On:
    9/20/2013 7:33am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Filling my own water bottles makes me a hippie? Jeez, I thought conservatives invented jokes about how liberals are so stupid they'll pay for bottled water. Can you imagine? BOTTLED WATER! That stuff you get for like nothing from the tap!

That **** could've been some B game standup comedy like ten years ago. Now I'm speaking like a hippie for not buying my water in a plastic container? ****, you know you can be anti-consumerism from either a conservative or liberal angle, right?

Anyway, I guess I am a hippie for not just laughing off large United States sized plastic gyres in the ocean I live next to.

Show us how you've decorated your Nalgene bottle, that will tell us if you're a hippy or not.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    9/20/2013 11:23am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Show us how you've decorated your Nalgene bottle, that will tell us if you're a hippy or not.
    Undecorated! Although I do have a wineskin too.

Posted On:
    9/20/2013 11:55am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Undecorated! Although I do have a wineskin too.
    Hmmm, i'm going with hippy.

Anyhow, back on topic, i found this interesting:

In considering the volume of contemporary literature on fructose, 1 conclusion stands clear: fructose is safe at typical intake levels but can produce adverse metabolic effects when abused—as is true of most nutrients. It turns out that the largest abusers of fructose are not American consumers, but research scientists. [...] It is only when researchers hyperdose human and animal subjects with fructose in amounts that exceed the 95th percentile by 1.5- to 3- and 4- to 5-fold, respectively, that adverse effects are provoked.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23493541

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2013 6:06pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    I tried Stevia...hate it. Not saying don't use it, just that I don't like.
    It is one of those things where you either like or don't. My buddies hate it but I love it, then again they are scared to roll and are running close to 300.......I may need to rethink my friendships lol

Posted On:
    9/22/2013 8:31am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is a strong hereditary part to developing diabetes, however, we can't overlook the cynical manipulations big food corporates do, to make us buy more of their products. Just because of that i think there should be limitations on the amount of sugar inside all food products. If you want something extra sweet, go and cook\make it yourself.
    Just look at the changes in McDonald's menu over the years. It used to be fucking delicious, now after all the anti in the media they got, it isn't such an insane option for a junk food meal anymore, and you can choose a salad and chicken burger and ****.
    Though, the taste isn't as good anymore :D
    Last edited by erezb; 9/22/2013 8:40am at .

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    9/24/2013 6:50am

staff
     Style: MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Blaming sugar for fatness is intellectually identical to blaming a firearm for a murder. Very un-Phrost-like!

Furthermore, simple carbohydrates have been sought after for their energy-density since the advent of agriculture for obvious reasons. If your tribe has access to 50% more calories than the other tribe, your tribe is gonna be bigger and stronger.

Sugar is not poisonous, nor is it all that bad for you when (like any other nutrient) it is used in the correct dosage. Of course, modern first-world societies have pretty much forgotten how to do that, but the problem isn't the sugar. It's a genetic proclivity to desire energy-dense food-sources. For the first 50,000 years of human development, this has been the rule. Now that it's killing us we have to re-wire all those biological imperatives.

Or, you know, show some freaking willpower...
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    9/26/2013 12:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Wrestling, TKD

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    Heh, I've been telling my son for years that sugar makes you weak. It hasn't stopped him from asking for dessert after dinner, but he typically eats a very small amount of dessert. He never gets sugar at lunch or breakfast. He also very rarely gets to drink soda. Once in a while I'll let him have one of those natural root beers or an Izze.

So, I was recently simultaneously pleased and embarrassed when his friend's mother told me the following story after he spent the night at his friend's house. For breakfast, she offered them one of those super sugary cereals. I think it was Fruit Loops. Horrified, my son asked if his friend's mother loved him, and if she did, why was she giving him a breakfast filled with sugar?
    This post is very relevant today. Mommies and daddies leaving apple juice etc., (teeth rotting) in a bottle in their childs mouth to put them to sleep. Snacks after games, because the coach said so, as if the 15-30 minutes to get home is going to kill them.

Parenting should be by license, some parents interested only in themselves fail to teach their children proper nutrition. Check out the Gracie Diet.

The OP may have overstated 'Poison' however, after 10 years selling Coca Cola products and consuming the equivalent of what 10 people in a lifetime it has taken me over 23 years to get rid of the effect, almost.

Diabetes aside, lets add this one with this gene Interleuken-1
    that points to periodontal problems (diabetes and heart are related, and my disclaimer is that correlation is not necessarily indicative of causation in this case, not enough science) this OP may be one of the best posts for us to really sink our teeth into, and with evolving wellness care issues, those WITH this gene, should not even touch any sugar, except through fruits (see your doctor) etc.

As we cut back on sugar voluntarily, I am against any government involvement save educative type approaches, (and good luck with this as the Sugar Cartel is not to be trifled with)
    the industries that wish to do well in the future will have to redirect their marketing strategies more and more to non-sugar type products if they wish to profit. Great OP Phrost.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast