Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/17/2013 7:55pm

Style: Wrestle, Kickbox, Aikido

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    When you go for a clearence your suppose to disclose certain things such as mental illnesses. I am famaliar with HIPPA myself but I wouldn't be surprised if he signed away some of his rights to get said clearance.
    I've never been through that process, so I'll take your word for it. Do these types of jobs usually entail a release for an individuals full medical records from their insurance and medical providers? Even if they do, somebody could be private paying for services. I'm not sure how you could get past somebody who simply didn't self-disclose. If they don't get services through the VA then the military wouldn't know who to even ask, for example.

The reasons to keep this info private are strong...individuals won't get the help they need in some cases if they know employers will be notified...untreated mental illness leads to bad outcomes.

Posted On:
    9/17/2013 8:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is indeed tricky, I agree for 99% of the jobs its prudent. Once you start talking clearences though we are talking about state secrets. I had a buddys whose clearance was pulled because his wife had too much debt. I know they also watch out for dependancy issues. Health issues can compermise an individual especially a civilian contractor who might be facing finacial ruin as a result of one.

Posted On:
    9/18/2013 12:41am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now now, this shooter didn't violate any state secrets!

Posted On:
    9/18/2013 4:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Found this article

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/...onfusing-clues

Honestly sounds like he had a bit of mental illness.
    So are we as a nation going to talk about our need to deal with mental issues or are we going to focus on guns yet again?
    How about you do both?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    9/18/2013 8:00am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, the recent stuff is making it look like he was going through some type of acute psychotic episode. He had even called the police reporting that people were out to get him and wouldn't leave him alone. But it appears that he was reacting to the halucinations. That can make you do all kinds of stuff. Unfortunate that the police didn't pick up on it and admit him to a hospital.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    9/18/2013 9:40am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma View Post
    How about you do both?
    Well cause we don't really need to rehash guns yet again especially when the common component to mass shooting is mental illness.
    It comes down to not punishing millions of responsible gun owners because of crazies.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/18/2013 9:54am

Style: Wrestle, Kickbox, Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    Yeah, the recent stuff is making it look like he was going through some type of acute psychotic episode. He had even called the police reporting that people were out to get him and wouldn't leave him alone. But it appears that he was reacting to the halucinations. That can make you do all kinds of stuff. Unfortunate that the police didn't pick up on it and admit him to a hospital.

You know, theres a mental health element to most of these active shooter events, it seems, at least for the homegrown offenders. still, to be fair to the police and all, they're is a lot of crazy out there. Some years back there was a big policy shift away from placing the mentally ill in facilities, and instead provide more support in the community. Go to any major city and you'll see some of them wandering the streets. A certain level of psychotic or delusional symptoms are allowable in the community. Even in cases where the individual does appear to an imminent threat to self and/or others, hospitalization is likely to be short term. Police can't just pick up and hospitalize everyone who talks crazy

Posted On:
    9/18/2013 10:07am

Join us... or die

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a feeling this is one of those incidents where

will be make his appearances.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    9/18/2013 10:20am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keslet View Post
    This is a pretty tricky issue. There's quite a bit of law on the books to ensure patient privacy for those being treated for mental illness. I'm not sure how even a good background check would have been able to ID him as mentally ill (though his previous legal issues might have raised a red flag). Clearly he passed whatever screening process they used for civilian contractors on base...

(Full disclosure, I'm a psychologist, and we've been receiving regular reminders of how NOT to violate these laws at my place of employment).
    It is a huge issue. I work in the court system, and in the recent past with law enforcement. Here in Idaho the problem has to do with the legality (and practicality) of getting commitment (involuntary and voluntary) information into the background check system. If I understood correctly, in Idaho at least, VOLUNTARY committments (the vast majority that happen) simply don't get recorded as a "red flag". It's like I went to see a counselor or psychologist/psychiatrist...not considered "mental illness" and there won't be any record of it, and if there is, it may not be constitutional to add it to the background check system.

The involuntaries, which are pretty rare and in Idaho at least very difficult to do (cops hate being involved in those), are still not directly hooked into the NCIC or other systems, and again, it's considered medical info, which makes it very private.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    9/18/2013 10:23am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!

The Joy of Involuntary Commitments

Yeah, the recent stuff is making it look like he was going through some type of acute psychotic episode. He had even called the police reporting that people were out to get him and wouldn't leave him alone. But it appears that he was reacting to the halucinations. That can make you do all kinds of stuff.
    Unfortunate that the police didn't pick up on it and admit him to a hospital.
    You're a cop, you know how easy and fun that is, right?
    Last edited by BKR; 9/18/2013 10:24am at . Reason: Missed quote
    Falling for Judo since 1980
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 LastLast