Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/16/2013 5:25am

Bullshido Newbie

Hell yeah! Hell no!

How To Unlearn Non Contact Sparring

Hi.

So, i have no idea if this is the right section or not. It seems about right, anyway. Someone can move it if it isnt. Its fine.

I could tell a story about this, but ill just stick in an abridged version.
    Spent time doing flashy no contact kids as teenager and just into legal adulthood whilst letting self go down rabbit hole. Came to senses, ditched that stuff. Figured out my perception of range with striking is pretty much (am i allowed to liberally swear on here?).

The obvious solution would be to go box, or something. At the moment that isnt an option. Apparently this poor excuse for a town has a scattering of less than a dozen MA places and thats about it.

So, is there anything i can do on a regular basis from the comfort of home (or nature) to unlearn just over a years worth of skillfully missing things?

Thanks.

Posted On:
    9/16/2013 11:31am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Moved to the correct section.

If you're stuck without a good place to train, your best bet is to set aside some time on a weekend where you can travel a bit to a place and get in a few sessions with an actual coach or trainer, then bring it back and work on what you've learned on your own.

Also, get some friends to go with you; car pooling cuts down on costs and sparring partners are much better than trying it on your own.

Posted On:
    9/16/2013 11:37am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Travel to a place that suits your needs, don't try to train yourself. You'll end up with more bad habits and you risk injuring yourself.

Posted On:
    9/16/2013 11:59am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Im not looking to self train, just unlearn a habit. I fully intend to travel when i have the time and money :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/17/2013 3:52pm

Style: Judo noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The best way I have found to correct my bad no/light contact sparring habits was to spar with full contact and face punches. Maybe not at 100% (that's not very good sparring practice, according to the how to spar thread) but its a pretty effective teacher.

I am not sure there is a way to fix sparring habits by yourself. Its kind of like trying to do Judo without a partner: you are very limited. I suppose getting a bag/pad to hit will at least correct some of the range issues that come with never actually hitting your target.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    9/17/2013 4:28pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The real things to be fixed aren't so much technical details (although there almost certainly are some) as much as becoming comfortable with real contact, which can only come from partner work. Without a gym, can you find a partner who wants to train with you? Like-minded people are among the most valuable training resources out there, but one of you really should have a background in harder contact stuff so its not a blind teaching the blind sort of thing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/11/2013 12:37am

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Really, the way to unlearn non-contact habits is to spend some time doing contact sparring. It doesn't take that long to switch over, if you actually do contact sparring. If you try to work it out on your own, you will probably not make any progress. Phrost is right on this count; save up, figure out where you can travel to, and get some legit contact work in.