Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

On hiatus

Posted On:
    9/22/2013 10:54am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarzis View Post
    Stupid question regarding this: when the judges declare Unanimous decision = winner got all the rounds, or just most of them?
    EVERY judge scored MAJORITY OF rounds for the winner.

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2013 10:57am

Style: judo, boxing -noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krijgsman View Post

If that makes sense, great. If you knew all that, sorry for my long-windedness.
    Hey, it's cool, I appreciate it.
    I was just wondering if a good kick to the leg, slowing your opponent down, could be counted the same as a jab to the face which does not have a knock-out power, but hurts none the less (or could it even be worth more points?)....
    My post was not well writen.

Wow, man, two of my friends just came back from Pasadena, the dude is studying drums at L.A. musical academy.
    Last edited by Stickybomb; 9/22/2013 11:10am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2013 11:08am

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickybomb View Post
    Hey, it's cool, I appreciate it.
    I was just wondering if a good kick to the leg, slowing your opponent down, could be counted the same as a jab to the face which does not have a knock-out power, but hurts none the less....
    My post was not well writen.

Wow, man, two of my friends just came back from Pasadena, the dude is studying drums at L.A. musical academy.
    I would think a hard kick with visible effect on an opponent would generally score better than a glancing jab. But a single strong legkick wouldn't outweigh a rounds worth of striking control.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    9/22/2013 12:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ResidentSamurai View Post
    Martian Manhunter definitely did not win that fight.
    I had Gus up 4 rounds to 1 with round 5 being pretty close.
    you... whu? how in the blue **** was round 4 gustaffsons? **** man you could almost call that a 10-8 for jones, or did you miss the bit where he could barely even stand upright by the end of it?

round 4 and 5 were a total shutout. you dont win a round by getting kicked in the face repeatedly. which means that he needed to have edged out on of the previous 3, and i would probably give him round 1 or maybe 2 ( i forget which round it was he got taken down in)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/22/2013 2:21pm

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing, nogiJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, Jones pretty clearly one the last two, despite noble efforts from Gustafsson. And Gustafsson clearly won rounds one and three. The biggest question was how round two was scored, it really could have gone either way.

Whoever scored the fight 49-46 needs to have his or her license revoked, however.

It was interested how both fighters clearly weren't used to fighting someone with equal length. Jones barely uses any footwork when fighting, and Gustafsson used his superior movement very strategically. However, Jones figured out that Gustafsson has trouble keeping his hands up, because his length and good movement means he never had to worry about that in the past. Thats why Jones kept throwing those head kicks; he knew that Gustafsson would eat a lot of those, which he did. Great fighting smarts showed by both fighters and their teams.

Also, I couldn't even describe how blown away I was when Gustafsson took Jones down. Clearly training with Phil Davis has done absolute wonders for his wrestling.

Great fight. It might be tied with Condit vs Hendricks as my favorite fight of the year so far.

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    9/23/2013 3:55am

Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can honestly say never in a million years would I have guessed Gustafsson might push Jones so far. I'm still astonished. Damn that was a great fight.

In other news, strikers of Bullshido, please enlighten me how the **** can Nurmagomedov survive with his striking style? His jumping in style seems always like one punch away from being KO'd, yet he made Pat Healy look really, really bad. I love watching his fights though, he's like a man sized terrier that simply doesn't let up, especially the way he goes after the takedowns is inspiring to me.
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.

Posted On:
    9/23/2013 4:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not seen the fight yet, but overall it sounds like a good night for both fighters, Jones proving that he is actually able to deal with somebody his own size and Gustafson putting on the performance of his life and giving the champ a genuine fight when everybody expected him to get smoked in the first. He lost no face in losing a decision.

No to immediate rematch, however. Teixeira is too pressing a concern for Jones to brush him off. I'd like for Gustafson to face either Evans or Belfort, depending on which weight class he's fighting in this week.

Sherdog is even more of a fucking nightmare at the moment than usual. Poor Jon Jones, he really can do nothing to dispell the bizarrely savage amount of dislike he attracts for no real reason whatsoever.

It is often said that previously unbeaten champions get exposed in their fights. Would you say any weakness of Jones was exposed here, apart from not being used to fighting people with crazy reach?

Posted On:
    9/23/2013 9:12am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Would you say any weakness of Jones was exposed here, apart from not being used to fighting people with crazy reach?
    His striking defense is kind of shitty. I'd noticed it in some of his other fights, but Gustaffson was the first one with A)the reach and B)the balls to really highlight it. He backs up in a straight line with his front hand out and his head down most of the time when trying to avoid punches, and I think Gustaffson can exploit that next time. The whole "run straight backwards" thing is just begging for his legs to get kicked into next week. Jones also doesn't seem to deal very well with body shots, as far as seeing them coming or getting hit with them. Who knows, maybe he's just used to his opponents being too afraid of getting clinched to go for them. If Gustaffson breaks his legs and body down next time, I think he takes it.

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    9/24/2013 7:15pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah he does the classic tall guy move of dropping his hands and craning his head back. which is fine vs short guys and gets you smacked vs someone your own size.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/25/2013 6:09pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hpr View Post
    In other news, strikers of Bullshido, please enlighten me how the **** can Nurmagomedov survive with his striking style? His jumping in style seems always like one punch away from being KO'd, yet he made Pat Healy look really, really bad. I love watching his fights though, he's like a man sized terrier that simply doesn't let up, especially the way he goes after the takedowns is inspiring to me.
    I'm no striking guru, but Khabib's style reminds me of early Fedor: very explosive, defending with good head movement, closes distance quickly when he wants to grapple. He even uses some of the same bolo style uppercuts and russian hooks, though he seems more willing to throw high kicks.

Maybe its a hallmark of the combat sambo style? He didn't get hit all that often thanks to his good head movement and, if you read Fedor's MMA book, Fedor talks a lot about head movement being the first line of defense in MMA thanks to little gloves being **** for covering up.

I am loving watching him fight, skilled but exciting.
    Last edited by Krijgsman; 9/25/2013 6:23pm at .
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast