My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    10/02/2013 12:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaartenSFS View Post
    I agree with pretty much all of that, but would add that Sanda has less limitations on what throws can be used and has had more time to "perfect" the transition area (like kick-catching take-downs). This is offset by the shorter clinching time and the fact that Judo has a lot more serious competitors out there. As to the boxing, I think everybody realised this and so Muay Thai, Sanda, kickboxing, et cetera all look "similar".
    Like I wrote, judo is not normally trained specifically to deal with using throws to deal with striking. Less limitations in the sense that modern judo comp rules have eliminated leg grabs, yes indeed.

Sanda is cool, judo is cool. A lot of the difference is in rulesets. It would not take much to bring a judoka up to speed to compete in Sanda...would be fun I think!
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/02/2013 8:41pm

Style: Sanda, Taijiquan ( Chen)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    Like I wrote, judo is not normally trained specifically to deal with using throws to deal with striking. Less limitations in the sense that modern judo comp rules have eliminated leg grabs, yes indeed.

Sanda is cool, judo is cool. A lot of the difference is in rulesets. It would not take much to bring a judoka up to speed to compete in Sanda...would be fun I think!
    I studied Judo for about six months in college and found it easy to transition from Sanda as well. :)

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/07/2013 3:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Chen Taiji

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A US-based Chen instructor had CZQ at his house while hosting a seminar recently, and asked him about the fights, I'm quoting below what he posted to FB about the discussion:

"Chen Zi Qiang is at my home now.He was the coach of the Chenjiagou team that had the bouts with the ThaiBoxers.I asked him about how it was arranged and he said that he and some friends several years ago came up with the idea.
    I asked him if he was satisfied with the result and he said no, that he thought that there could have been better preparation .
    I asked him if they were going to do it again and he said yes that there were plans to do it again next year.
    The plan is to hold a tournament elimination prior to the event and the winners of the weight classes will fight Thai Boxers on August 6. The tournament will be open to non-Chinese as well . He also said one of the Chenjiagou guys broke his forearm blocking a kick so the Thais were not just pulling their punches and kicks."
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567