Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/29/2013 2:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, at least one of the MT guys looks to be about thirty pounds lighter than his supposed same-weight opponent. Another one of the winners was basically given a gift by the judges. And a third MT fighter just wandered around the ring.

Having said all that, it was interesting to watch, and about at the same level as any other goofball style-vs-style competition thrown together by some minor players looking for a major payday.

Crossposted with Jack—was responding to CrackFox.

Posted On:
    9/29/2013 2:52pm

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Terrible, terrible decision in favor of Chinese fighter:

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjE1MTE2NDUy.html
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Posted On:
    9/29/2013 2:58pm

Style: ti da shuai na

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2013 3:03pm

Style: Wrestle, Kickbox, Aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    to be fair, did you watch those fights? im only watching the first one but really, its a fairly obvious setup. although this seems to be par for the course over there.

interestingly they do have a legit kickboxing circuit in china. two of my gyms fighters are living and fighting over there at the moment and we have had some of their guys over here for fights, and they are the real deal. those are the cats they need to be contacting.

I just finished watching the first one...I'm sure that there are many guys on this site who know more about Muay Thai than I do, but isn't it odd that the Thai fighter threw almost no leg kicks (mostly head kicks and that one cartwheel kick), didn't block most of the low kicks coming back at him, and rarely clinched effectively? Mostly he threw head kicks and looping haymakers. Maybe some of those things were specifically addressed in the rule set they were using, but this fighter really didn't perform like an experienced Thai fighter to my eyes...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2013 3:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Rusher View Post
    Terrible, terrible decision in favor of Chinese fighter:

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjE1MTE2NDUy.html

Okay this one looked more like what I would have expected...controlling the clinch, some effective low kicks (though not many, which seems like poor strategy when he kept getting caught and dumps when he kicked higher)...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2013 4:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    Well, at least one of the MT guys looks to be about thirty pounds lighter than his supposed same-weight opponent. Another one of the winners was basically given a gift by the judges. And a third MT fighter just wandered around the ring.

Having said all that, it was interesting to watch, and about at the same level as any other goofball style-vs-style competition thrown together by some minor players looking for a major payday.

Crossposted with Jack—was responding to CrackFox.
    Weren't these guys all supposed to be "champions" of some kind, or was that just pre-event hype?

Posted On:
    9/29/2013 5:08pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keslet View Post
    Weren't these guys all supposed to be "champions" of some kind, or was that just pre-event hype?
    Then Chen guys were push hands champions of various sorts, but that doesn't mean much in this context...and there are lots of push hands events to be champion of out there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2013 9:56pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    Then Chen guys were push hands champions of various sorts, but that doesn't mean much in this context...and there are lots of push hands events to be champion of out there.
    Fair enough, thank you for explaining that...I don't have much of a knowledge base in that area...

I've watched all the video's now...have to say, I'm a little disappointed. I expect it's just my leftover "Kung-fu Theatre" fantasies kicking in, but I was hoping to see the mythological style vs. style match-up done right...it didn't look to me like the MT guys were top level (or the rules nerfed them up a bit)...they barely used the trademark techniques of the style, which should have been second nature for them...if someone closes in on you with their head right there, get the clinch, control their body, fire some knees...if the guy keeps catching your (slow) head kicks and you end up on your ass, do not try 12 more, especially when your patented leg kicks are hitting at will...chop them down! I can't speak to what the Chen guys were doing or not, but I would be surprised to hear that these MT fighters were actually top tier competitors...or if they were, they certainly weren't acting like it, at least to my eye...

Ah well...I don't know why I keep falling for this kind of stuff and getting my hopes up...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2013 3:19am

Style: Sanda, Taijiquan ( Chen)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *Sigh* I just finished watching two of the fights - the Sanda versus Muay Thai rejects (according to that training video they were all champions as well), that is. I was really hoping to see some Taiji. In one of the fights where the Thai fighter won, the Taiji guy was getting thrown a lot at the end.. In another fight the Thai fighter looked like he didn't even want to fight and did this crazy spinning Capoeira-like kick and I totally tuned out. I honestly would have rather seen Taiji lose than more Sanda versus Muay Thai fights...

Posted On:
    9/30/2013 3:23am

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Rusher View Post
    That was interesting. The Chen bloke started well and I quite admired his talent. I found it odd that the MT fighter started to make progress and trapped his opponent on the ropes and was starting to apply pressure when the Ref intervened to let the Chen guy off the hook (4 min). Why??

The MT fighter upped his game and took control and the Chen stylist was getting tired and was slipping away. Conditioning was a clear factor and the MT fighter had it but the Chen bloke didn't.

Any further and the Chen stylist would likely have been KO'd.

Quite a good show.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast