Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/06/2013 9:55pm

Style: Boxing, Wing Chun

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Tips for starting back up

Realized that I've gone to **** lately. Haven't trained in around 6 months, so my speed stamina, and technique are out the window. What I want to know is should I jump right back in, or step back to basics for a while?

Posted On:
    9/06/2013 11:59pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm kind of a beginner in this martial arts thing but I think I've read many times that the top guys work the basics all the time.

I'd be more concerned about conditioning. Take the first few classes slow and don't strain your body or you may be looking at an injury that takes you out longer.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2013 12:49pm

Style: Boxing, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Alright.Thank you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/08/2013 11:46pm

Style: Judo & WTF Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PizDoff is on the money - get out and do some conditioning. It will help you get through the classes a lot easier and you'll spend less time looking for a corner to spew in and more time throwing punches.

Depending on how deconditioned you are it might be easiest to go with one of the Couch to 5K running programs. They're designed to easy you back into it and if you're finding its a bit to easy just jump ahead a few weeks.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Spend a few rounds doing some interval work on a bag as well to get you arms back into it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2013 6:11am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PizDoff View Post
    I'm kind of a beginner in this martial arts thing but I think I've read many times that the top guys work the basics all the time.

I'd be more concerned about conditioning. Take the first few classes slow and don't strain your body or you may be looking at an injury that takes you out longer.
    This is good advice. I took a year out from karate due to work, I'd got really unfit due to long hours etc. Went back to karate and almost barfed on the warm up.

I took a couple of months to get my fitness back up and I was fine after that. (Running, circuit training and weights)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/04/2014 5:57pm

Style: 2 Fisted Drinking Dynamo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Neighbor of mine took up Muy Thai aerobic class instead of regular MT classes. Says by the time he switched to the real stuff he was so grateful for the conditioning that he's fully committed to MT now. Doesn't see the point of going to a regular gym anymore.