pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    9/06/2013 4:19pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Thai clinch in push hands

When I was practicing push hands regularly (2-3X a week), there was no grabbing/hooking the back of the head or neck, even for moving step, which is fine as a limited skillset but I always felt that hooking the head is absolutely part of learning to break posture and neutralize. So, when preparing for something like sanshou we would add in the Thai clinch. In retrospect, our clinchwork from the shoulders up wasn't great but wasn't terrible either. I've been doing some park sparring with my eskrima guys and we clinch grapple as a warmup, and I pretty much use moving step + Thai clinch + front headlock as my game (attack posture and the rest will follow).

Is there tai chi that allows/uses controlling the head/neck in moving step push hands? The stuff I've seen on youtube is mostly the Anchorman style

Do you grab the back of the head in moving step? How does a tai chi player respond to such an attack? I'd fight for the inside position and/or apply forward pressure while trying to roll my hips underneath my shoulders.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2013 8:24am

Style: Taijiquan, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Never gone for a neck / head grab during push hands.

I'll give it a go tomorrow and see what happens....

Posted On:
    9/08/2013 10:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We headwrap/neck grab all the time. Not to some sort of plum grip, necessarily. An example from my old Boston teacher:

Posted On:
    9/10/2013 7:54am

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try this for a defence.

Get your right arm and put your hand on your left shoulder slide your forearm under your chin. Get your left hand and put it on their left shoulder so you have a figure four.

Not super great for thai as you get kneed and elbowed. But will prevent a break in posture like nobodies buisness.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    9/10/2013 3:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    Try this for a defence.

Get your right arm and put your hand on your left shoulder slide your forearm under your chin. Get your left hand and put it on their left shoulder so you have a figure four.

Not super great for thai as you get kneed and elbowed. But will prevent a break in posture like nobodies buisness.
    this is quite similar actually to a "real" thai clinch defense- if they have superior position and are forcing your head down, you reach your hand across so that your arm (lets say your right arm for now) is over the top of both of their arms, and your head is resting on the bridge it creates. no matter how hard they pull, they are just pulling your head down onto your own arm, which is bridged across their arms, so it cant be pulled down. this obviously is still not a great position, but its better than this-

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    9/10/2013 3:30pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    We headwrap/neck grab all the time. Not to some sort of plum grip, necessarily. An example from my old Boston teacher:
    Seems unnecessarily complicated. There's a similar throw in Kali Dumog, but we would just dump him straight down at 00:28 instead.

Posted On:
    9/10/2013 7:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander View Post
    Seems unnecessarily complicated. There's a similar throw in Kali Dumog, but we would just dump him straight down at 00:28 instead.
    It's a tricky throw, but as you say, even if you just do some of it, it's pretty good. The idea is that for some throws, the breakfall doesn't help much. And if you can't get the whole thing, the first bit is good enough!

Posted On:
    9/12/2013 2:05pm

Style: ti da shuai na

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    We headwrap/neck grab all the time.
    Same. There are also a couple of nice throws in that shuaijiao/taiji curriculum that work defensively against the plum, along the lines of:

...and:

In addition to that back of the head techniques, there are also front of the head ones, like "eyebrow mopping":

http://dojorat.blogspot.com/2008/10/...g-eyebrow.html
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/21/2013 8:25am

Style: Sanda, Taijiquan ( Chen)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Neck grabs are illegal in Tuishou competitions, but certainly a part of Taiji. No need to look elsewhere. =)
    Last edited by MaartenSFS; 9/21/2013 8:30am at .