Our Sponsors:

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    10/31/2013 11:10am

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Grips have nothing to do with it, it's the way the sweep is done. Deashi barai is a sweep of the advanced foot, so as he steps forward and is about to put weight on the foot or as he is stepping back and taking weight off the foot you sweep it sideways. Okuriashi-barai usually comes out of sideways or circular movement of your opponent and as I said before you sweep one foot into the other. Kosotogari is a reap, you use your outside leg to take out the opponents leg towards you, eg your left leg on his right leg, and the motion is toward the back corner.

Using the instep of your foot on his ankle is the standard technique for deashibarai.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    10/31/2013 12:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    I know, me too. Sometimes I can be a bit dry, especially in writing.

I don't know that everything thing we do is Judo, but then I'm also just a Judo noob. There's a good mix of experience at our gym.

We pretty much train for jiu jitsu/grappling tournaments, and MMA/Kickboxing. The grappling/throwing/mma coach is a Judo and BJJ BB.

It looks something like this:

except I might tie up with the lead side so I don't have to fight for the underhook, I have better balance, and I can push uke with my other arm and leg to take weight off their lead leg.

Some of us use ankle picks as well. I don't know if that is in the Judo syllabus.
    That was not an example of Okuri Ashi Barai, as NeilG pointed out.

Here is it. Can be done to side or with uke moving backwards.

"okuri" means "sending" not "sliding", as is commonly taught.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    10/31/2013 12:27pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A lot of times, throws kind of become hybridized when applied practically, wearing a jacket or not. So you can start off with Kosoto Gari or Kosoto Gake, and end up with De Ashi Barai depending on how uke reacts. Or start off with O Goshi, move to Uki Goshi, and end up with Tsuri Goshi.

The thing with judo is that the principle of the throw is the important thing, not the grip, stance, etc. You learn the principle of the throw(s), internalize them, and then (eventually) apply the throw(principle) as needed.

What that means is you try to practice the throw (principle) in isolation in a given technique (barai/harai (sweeping) for example by doing a "pure" de ashi barai or okuri ashi barai).

All these things have a particular feel to them. Learn that, and you can apply technique that expresses that principle or principles. Takes a lot of practice, though !

Middleweight

Posted On:
    10/31/2013 2:46pm

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the information, guys. It gives me another perspective for a technique I want to add to my game. The de ashi barai I described is a variation my coach found, that works well for jiu jitsu and mma since it gives you a couple of other takedowns, even if uke doesn't fall from the de ashi barai. I've seen uke hit the ground more often than not with this variation, though.
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/31/2013 3:38pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    Thanks for the information, guys. It gives me another perspective for a technique I want to add to my game. The de ashi barai I described is a variation my coach found, that works well for jiu jitsu and mma since it gives you a couple of other takedowns, even if uke doesn't fall from the de ashi barai. I've seen uke hit the ground more often than not with this variation, though.
    I don't know the degree to which its uniform, but I was certainly taught to use ashi waza to set up further throws/generally unbalance your uke. Kouchi-gari to Ouchi-gari to Osoto Gari or Harai Goshi for instance. So the idea of using takedowns that can be chained into other takedowns (if the first is unsuccessful) is also present in Judo (as well as whatever you'd describe your style as).

Middleweight

Posted On:
    10/31/2013 4:16pm

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krijgsman View Post
    I don't know the degree to which its uniform, but I was certainly taught to use ashi waza to set up further throws/generally unbalance your uke. Kouchi-gari to Ouchi-gari to Osoto Gari or Harai Goshi for instance. So the idea of using takedowns that can be chained into other takedowns (if the first is unsuccessful) is also present in Judo (as well as whatever you'd describe your style as).
    I'm sure this is great strategy, and we are certainly taught to chain together throws, but my ashi waza is garbage right now. I just decided a week or two ago to finally give de ashi barai a chance. The main throws I land are uchi mata, morote gari, kata guruma, and tani otoshi.
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Posted On:
    10/31/2013 4:36pm

Style: Kendo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you like uchi-mata, try learning o-uchi-gari and ko-uchi-gari. Those three work well together as setups for each other.

Posted On:
    11/01/2013 12:59pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    If you like uchi-mata, try learning o-uchi-gari and ko-uchi-gari. Those three work well together as setups for each other.
    And as followups to Uchi Mata as well.

Everyone should try to be very good at Ouchi and Kouchi as a matter of course, anyway, LOL.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456