222497 Bullies, 4022 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 111 to 120 of 204
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 289101112 13141516 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Permalost is online now
    Permalost's Avatar

    pro nonsense self defense

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    12,489

    Posted On:
    9/27/2013 1:27pm

    supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I liked the WCL's banked circle ring.
  2. Devil is online now
    Devil's Avatar

    His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,542

    Posted On:
    9/27/2013 1:39pm

    supporting member
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I liked the WCL's banked circle ring.
    Yep, that's pretty much what I'm talking about. Maybe with slightly higher sides but not high enough to obstruct the view.
  3. danharr is online now
    danharr's Avatar

    Middleweight

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Houston, Tx
    Posts
    1,095

    Posted On:
    9/27/2013 5:42pm

    supporting member
     Style: TKD/ BJJ/Kickboxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dammit I was rooting for Werkel we need a kick ass nerd in mma. Oh well Jessica put on a great show not sure she could've survived all those please arm bar or triangle me teases she put out in the real UFC. I will say can't wait to see her boxing against McMann or another seasoned banger.
  4. Coach Josh is offline
    Coach Josh's Avatar

    Silent Guardian

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    2,182

    Posted On:
    9/27/2013 11:08pm

    Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If i recall correctly (in my old age I tend to forget ) but the octagon was made so it would not give a corner to work someone into. Something about the shape gives no one an advantage.

    The early UFCs would not go over well. Nut punching, head butts, knees to the head on a downed fighter, and other OH **** did he just.... moments. Grabbing the cage back then was mild. There was a lot of those I would have had him if he would not have grabbed the cage moments though.

    If you have to use the cage to stop the TD then you have already failed. Its better to start working your ground defense and take a mental note to work your TD defense more at the gym.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.
  5. Devil is online now
    Devil's Avatar

    His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,542

    Posted On:
    9/28/2013 12:54am

    supporting member
     

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Josh View Post
    If i recall correctly (in my old age I tend to forget ) but the octagon was made so it would not give a corner to work someone into. Something about the shape gives no one an advantage.

    The early UFCs would not go over well. Nut punching, head butts, knees to the head on a downed fighter, and other OH **** did he just.... moments. Grabbing the cage back then was mild. There was a lot of those I would have had him if he would not have grabbed the cage moments though.

    If you have to use the cage to stop the TD then you have already failed. Its better to start working your ground defense and take a mental note to work your TD defense more at the gym.

    I'm pretty sure the octagon was designed for the shock factor and nothing else. There's actually a dispute about who is the true designer of the octagon. Guy #1 says he was inspired by the Chuck Norris movie The Octagon, which is always what I assumed was the case. It just seemed really obvious. Guy #2 says he developed it so it wouldn't favor one fighter over the other.

    I believe Guy #1. I think it was all about marketing. The other marketing factor is the cage itself, which I believe they swiped directly from professional wrestling simply for the shocking imagery of being "locked in a steel cage."

    The story about not giving one guy an advantage over the other is illogical. First, I'm not sure how a square would favor one fighter over another. But even if they decided it does, who's going to say "Eureka, let's give it EIGHT sides!!" Nobody. If they had decided those pesky corners were a problem people would be getting the **** kicked out of them in a circle right now. Why an octagon? Chuck Motherfuckin' Norris. That's why.
    Last edited by Devil; 9/28/2013 1:21am at .
  6. Shawarma is offline

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    2,456

    Posted On:
    9/28/2013 3:17am


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dunno, recall reading once that they tried out a Square Cage but found that it was a bit too flimsy for fighters to lean on without buckling significantly, prompting them to change the shape a bit.

    Square Cages would definitely give an advantage to the stronger wrestler. If clinched and backed into a Square corner, you'd have a really hard time escaping, making for more boring fights consisting of one fighter being backed in a corner and eating elbows at will. Much easier to escape that strategy in an octagonally shaped Cage.
  7. Devil is online now
    Devil's Avatar

    His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,542

    Posted On:
    9/28/2013 1:52pm

    supporting member
     

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawarma View Post
    Dunno, recall reading once that they tried out a Square Cage but found that it was a bit too flimsy for fighters to lean on without buckling significantly, prompting them to change the shape a bit.

    Square Cages would definitely give an advantage to the stronger wrestler. If clinched and backed into a Square corner, you'd have a really hard time escaping, making for more boring fights consisting of one fighter being backed in a corner and eating elbows at will. Much easier to escape that strategy in an octagonally shaped Cage.
    You can also make the argument that the square cage makes it harder for a wrestler to get the takedown and would therefore favor strikers. It's a wash in my opinion.

    This article pretty much settles it:

    http://espn.go.com/mma/story/_/id/85...shape-fighting

    Although they can't agree on who came up with the idea, it's clear that potential fighter advantages were very low on the list of **** they were worried about. Look at the background of the guys involved - production designers and artists. They weren't fighters. The primary concern was visual imagery.

    This says it all, and this is the guy who says he wasn't influenced by the Chuck Norris movie:

    "It's interesting that all of the people claiming to have conceived the Octagon aren't designers, yet somehow they all came up with the Octagon design," Harrison said. "I just wanted to come up with a shape -- which to me is one of the most important parts of the design process -- that would be unique for a new type of event. That seemed to me to be one that was buildable and would also be unique and not a boxing ring."

    All the talk about whether it would favor wrestlers or not is bullshit. Think about it. Remember how clueless everyone was about grappling prior to UFC 1. How many people would've even believed wrestling would've been a significant factor in these fights at that point? Not many, and certainly not these artsy fartsy motherfuckers that designed the octagon.
    Last edited by Devil; 9/28/2013 2:00pm at .
  8. Holy Moment is online now
    Holy Moment's Avatar

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Shitsville
    Posts
    3,992

    Posted On:
    9/28/2013 2:07pm

    supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why the **** is it illegal anyway? They're in a cage. Let 'em grab it. Who gives a ****? Stupid rule.
    Look up Scott Ferrozzo vs. Tank Abbott I (Their UFC fight, not their backyard sodomy), and Gary Goodridge vs. Mark Coleman. Pretty sure those are the fights that prompted the cage holding ban. There was also Wallid Ismail vs. Yoshiki Takahashi:



    Cage holding was illegal by this point, but Takahashi no comprende (Or didn't give a ****, because he was so excited that he finally got to throw close-fisted punches instead of Pancrase shoteis). In Ferrozzo vs. Tank, we saw that cage holding can enhance a fighter's wall-and-stall abilities (Vertical lay-and-pray) to mind-blowing levels.

    Edit:

    In regards to fighting arenas, I think a big hole in the ground would be good. I thought that was what Yamma Pitfighting was going to be (Instead we got a cage with slanted edges). Either a big hole or an empty swimming pool.
    Last edited by Holy Moment; 9/28/2013 2:19pm at .
  9. Devil is online now
    Devil's Avatar

    His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,542

    Posted On:
    9/28/2013 2:55pm

    supporting member
     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    Look up Scott Ferrozzo vs. Tank Abbott I (Their UFC fight, not their backyard sodomy), and Gary Goodridge vs. Mark Coleman. Pretty sure those are the fights that prompted the cage holding ban. There was also Wallid Ismail vs. Yoshiki Takahashi:



    Cage holding was illegal by this point, but Takahashi no comprende (Or didn't give a ****, because he was so excited that he finally got to throw close-fisted punches instead of Pancrase shoteis). In Ferrozzo vs. Tank, we saw that cage holding can enhance a fighter's wall-and-stall abilities (Vertical lay-and-pray) to mind-blowing levels.

    Edit:

    In regards to fighting arenas, I think a big hole in the ground would be good. I thought that was what Yamma Pitfighting was going to be (Instead we got a cage with slanted edges). Either a big hole or an empty swimming pool.

    I know all about the Tank Abbott stuff. I still think it's stupid not to allow cage grabbing.

    Oh, back on the octagon design topic.....Another reason I think the Chuck Norris movie influenced it is because they chose "The Octagon" as the official name for their ring. Why not "The Cage" or some other name? If it had been another shape it wouldn't have sounded particularly impressive to call it "The Square" or "The Rectangle".

    "The Octagon" already carried a certain ominous martial arts connotation because of Uncle Chuck and I think it was most likely an influence on the original design and marketing.
  10. Holy Moment is online now
    Holy Moment's Avatar

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Shitsville
    Posts
    3,992

    Posted On:
    9/28/2013 8:42pm

    supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If we're talking about PitFighting, the ultimate venue is plainly obvious:

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 289101112 13141516 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.