Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/04/2013 7:56am

Style: Weight Lifting,Combatives

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

18th Century Samurai text - too deadly for competition

So, it's the HuffPo and therefore probably crap 'journalism' but I found this article vaguely diverting.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3842681.html

For those not wanting to click through, it's an article about a recently translated training manual for Samurai from the 19th century. Key bits that I found interesting were part of the 'Rules for Samurai' that admonish students 'Do not complete' and a what seems to be a general emphasis on not really employing the techniques taught -secrecy and school mystique seeming to be of paramont concern. I guess it's good to know that this kind of **** isn't a new development in MA.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/04/2013 9:18am

Style: aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zod View Post
    So, it's the HuffPo and therefore probably crap 'journalism' but I found this article vaguely diverting.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3842681.html

For those not wanting to click through, it's an article about a recently translated training manual for Samurai from the 19th century. Key bits that I found interesting were part of the 'Rules for Samurai' that admonish students 'Do not complete' and a what seems to be a general emphasis on not really employing the techniques taught -secrecy and school mystique seeming to be of paramont concern. I guess it's good to know that this kind of **** isn't a new development in MA.
    I wouldn't think it's really all that surprising, given the historical context. The samurai in general and their fighting methods in particular were pretty obsolete by the time this text was written. I suspect bujutsu training at that point in history had more to do with keeping a tradition alive and preserving a way of life than with learning a practical fighting system.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    9/04/2013 10:24am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlMatt View Post
    I wouldn't think it's really all that surprising, given the historical context. The samurai in general and their fighting methods in particular were pretty obsolete by the time this text was written. I suspect bujutsu training at that point in history had more to do with keeping a tradition alive and preserving a way of life than with learning a practical fighting system.
    You beat me to it. Plus, the Bakufu needed to keep them occupied with something. Samurai were not all warriors, and Japan had been basically at peace for over 100 years a that point.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    9/04/2013 10:26am

Style: Humbleness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Deepest Secrets of Fistfight"

Ancient Japanese striking sounds kind cool

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/04/2013 5:17pm

Style: Weight Lifting,Combatives

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't think it's really all that surprising.
    Not surprising, just totally familiar sounding.

Martial Arts as a social prop rather than, ya know, fighting.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/04/2013 11:40pm

Style: Hsing I, Bagua, Chi kung

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now imagine another 180 years added to that....how far removed today's bujutsu is from that?

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    9/05/2013 12:45am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haven't bullies here alleged that hard sparring was part of training back in the day? Is sparring okay, just not competition? Is the rule against it like how boxing's public face says no to gambling?

Posted On:
    9/05/2013 2:38am

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought they used to go pretty hard with the boken or is that just more mythology?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/09/2013 9:57pm

Style: naginata

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The samurai in general and their fighting methods in particular were pretty obsolete by the time this text was written.
    Obsolete outside Japan, but in 1844, Japan was still rigidly isolated from the rest of the world. When the Meiji Restoration hit 25 years later, and Western-style armies started to take the field, it became obsolete very rapidly, but that hadn't happened yet at this point.

I suspect bujutsu training at that point in history had more to do with keeping a tradition alive and preserving a way of life than with learning a practical fighting system.
    After 200+ years of the Tokugawas clamping down hard on any internal conflicts, yes, though there was still at least an element of "practical fighting system" in the background, unlike the state that schools found themselves in 30 years later. There were still a few schools that took things more seriously, though. Modern kendo evolved out out of Itto-ryu discovering live training 60 or 70 years before this, and ditching most of their previous training methods in favour of it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2013 2:49am

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing, nogiJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So... who else has no knowledge on this era of Japanese history besides what they saw on Ruroni Kenshin?

Just me? Cool.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast