Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2013 12:36pm

Style: BJJ, Wrestling, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the thoughts.

I'm hoping that it's possible to let Muay Thai corrupt my karate, rather than the other way around. We have a lot of leeway in sparring (yes, most people are all bouncy-bouncy like in that video of RurikGreenwulf's cousin, but some people revert to boxing style movements, and get away with it). Kata has to be done "right", but it's trained more like dancing.

Our body shots are decently powerful, which is where my bad habit of dropping my hands comes from. Most people either don't punch to the face, or punch just "towards the face" because they're worried about the "touch contact" rule. So I respect the power of body blows and have no incentive right now to protect my head. I was hoping Muay Thai would put that right, plus teach me how to punch in a less telegraphed fashion.

Thanks again.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/13/2014 1:48pm

Style: BJJ, Wrestling, Muay Thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just an update to this thread.

I passed my 1st Dan test and started training Muay Thai as well as taking the MMA class that my BJJ instructor runs. I've really clicked with the way that my BJJ instructor explains things and the kinds of drills that he uses. It's taking a very long time to undo my muscle memory from Karate though :(

I stuck with doing just one karate lesson a week, but I think that's enough that I'm not able to un-learn my bad habits. I've decided to focus exclusively on thai/MMA for a while and see if I get any better. Right now both styles feel "wrong".

I really appreciate the feedback people gave last year. I wish I could compartmentalize two styles the way that Gregaquaman says, but it's not working for me, so I'm going to have to focus my efforts on one thing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/16/2014 10:50am

Style: APK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I started training pradal serey I cut back on the TMA stuff I was doing. I stopped going to TMA classes and just constantly practiced what I already knew. Mechanical changes are tough, but you do have to learn how to compartmentalize like Gregaquaman said.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12